Tiling over existing Tiles

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Andrew H, 3rd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

Anyone Tiled over existing tiles? Was thinking it would save a good component of labour costs and time. Is it really that bad to do, i haven't heard of any horror stories, i've even bought properties with tiles over tiles and no issues. Would like to know peoples thoughts?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We were doing tile on tile over 20 years ago. Walls are flat, decent glue, trim/adjust your architraves & doors and Bob's your aunty.

@pinkboy could give you a few pointers, he's laid a tile or two on the odd occasion.

ellejay and datto like this.
  3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

If the tiles are all sound (none coming up/drummy/good condition), then tiling tiles over tiles is fine.

Think of the height consequences for bedrooms etc that might not be tiled, and doors etc.

The very best way to etch the tiles is to use HydroFloric Acid, but I doubt you will be sold that retail. Hydrochloric Acid could be used also, and while not safe, its 'safer'.

pinkboy

4. Andrew H

@pinkboy thanks i didnt think about doors. I know they sell hydrochloric acid is sold bunnings in all sizes

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

There is no need to etch or de-gloss the tiles you are tiling over if you use a product like Ardex Optima. I did an ensuite a few years ago now - and its still all good.

ellejay and Andrew H like this.
  6. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Traffic isn't high in an ensuite....unless you are Casanova ;). I would recommend etching a main floor for the reasonably little trouble it is to do.

Sure, Hydrochloric Acid will do OK, but my main point that the best treatment is HYDROFLORIC ACID.

pinkboy

7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I tiled over these horrible mosaics in an IP bathroom. If I removed them I would have had to do the walls too which were just white tiles...

19.JPG

So I tiled over them and added a bath at the same time...
    IMG_1444.JPG

I wouldn't tile over wall tiles though, they will likely fall off with the additional weight. Floors in good shape are fine though.

ellejay, Archaon, S.T and 4 others like this.
  8. Andrew H

@pinkboy glad you clarified that as i read it wrong - cheers!

yeah spoke a trady and reckons there are particular glues to use that good for this

9. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I've done it by just running a diamond blade grinder over the old tiles to rough them up and make them stick to the glue better. Was pretty easy and the new tiles on top are perfectly fine.

Stoffo likes this.
  10. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

The old tile over tiles trick has worked wonders for me as pinkboy said make sure the doors aren't an issue and it does save lots of $ :). I did see a bathroom in a property a few years back it was an old property I could swear it was tiles over tiles over tiles over tiles. You almost needed a step ladder to get into the bathroom. Just don't become that landlord :)

11. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

I attempted tiling over existing tile once, had to use a liquid additive to the mix (can't recall the name) and the adhesion was poor. I also didn't realise how poorly laid the first tiles were laid until I started to lift them.

It only took me half the day with a small ozito jack hammer/hammer drill combo and a kanga tile chisel to lift them with no damage to the screet.

Also if it's in a wet area your waterproofing will most likely be non-existant if the wet area is a decent age. For around $200-$250 for a 10 litre drum you can get paint on waterproofing from Bunnings. You also need to buy waterproof banding for your corners/edges which is about $25 for 10 metres

For the sake of a day or two extra work I would be lifting the tiles and re-waterproofing so you know the job is 100%.

If it is a bathroom does it have timber floor/villaboard walls?

dan_89 and teg499 like this.
  12. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

How did you pick that product? I notice on their website they have A LOT of tile adhesives on their website...........?! I want to do a whole house tile over old tiles, living area and bedrooms.

13. 212

212 Guest

We have tried it on Wall tiles, existing ones were flat and in good quality. just old colors. it has been there for 2 years now and still very good. not a single issue. we bought this product from bunnings, and it is amazing. it is expensive, but our area was quite small, so one bucket did all.

Dunlop 6.7kg Tile-All Tile Adhesive Kit

Hope this helps.

14. 158

158 Well-Known Member

You open up the Technical Data Sheets of each adhesive until you find one that's suitable to your application. Most TDS spell out what that particular adhesive can and can't do.

Also, several might say they can do the same application. This is where Tiler knowledge comes in handy where one adhesive might have a slight edge over another technical wise (better over subject to a high movement substrate).

pinkboy

Propertunity likes this.
  15. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Are the existing tiles fitted to a subfloor set up or slab? I would be inspecting the substrate of which the original tiles are fitted too before doing anything to ensure there is no leaks, rotting timber or water proofing issues. If the current tiles are on a subfloor and you have easy access under the floor it is well worth checking it out to ensure there is no water damage marks or rot etc.

I found out my whole subfloor had rotted through when I re did my bathroom. Ended up having to rip up the whole floor and re do joists etc due to rot (see attached).

Attached Files:

16. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

my first house had 6 lots of tiles on top of each other, and it was such a pain to remove them.

17. Leonard Wanaguru

Leonard Wanaguru New Member

Hi I am planning to tile over tile in my bathroom floors and walls. Any advice you can give if you have done it successfully. My concern is if the wall tiles will fall off. Thank you, Len

18. Scott No Mates

Hundreds of Macca's shops can't be wrong.

Are you DIY or getting a tiler?

19. Leonard Wanaguru

Leonard Wanaguru New Member

Through a Tiler

20. Scott No Mates

Glues are pretty good nowadays. You'll need to adjust doors, thresholds, floor wastes etc to cover the additional thickness.