Tiles making hollow noise

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by tvadera, 27th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tvadera

tvadera Well-Known Member

Hi,

Few months back, I hired a tiler to lay tiles
    Porcelain tiles
    Size: 600x600
    Total area: 97 sqm

After the job was done , I had paid the tiler in full, however recently just 2 months later some tiles are making hollow sound, if u tap one side of tile its solid sound other side hollow

I have called the tiler 3 times and every time there are excuses with latest being he has moved to Tasmania for good.

Instead of wasting my time and energy on this rouge operator any tips on how I can fix it?

Called another tiler to seek their opinion and was told glue used was incorrect and hence tiles are not making contact as it should and he thinks I should rip apart all tiles n do it again, stressful and would cost a bomb

I came across something like this
    Shalex Industries - Sign in

Has anyone used them before, have ordered a trial pack to see if it works
    Anyone in this situation before ? And how do I get out of this with minimal stress and $

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

If you have to redo the work you can take action against the tiler. Get a quote to redo all the work and put as a claim through small claims court.
    My absolute pet hate is when people do not stand by the things they promise in their own business and do not take responsibility to rectify issues that have gone wrong.

We've all had things go wrong, good business people fix things and look after their clients.

Perthguy and MTR like this.
  3. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Drummy tiles, not an even spread of tile glue or the glue started drying before they were stuck down.

Needs to be fixed as it can cause bigger issues down the track, tiles start cracking etc. No easy fix that I know off but I have been wrong before. Pretty sure they will need to be lifted and reglued. Should be up to the tiler to fix, but as you said you can't get a hold.

4. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with a couple of tiles. I looked at the Shalex stuff too. It should do the job I reckon. Let us know how you go with it.

5. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

It could be the adhesive, but it could also be a lack of perimeter and possibly intermediate expansion joints..

6. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Would most probably be not enough tile glue. A tiler told me there is meant to be at least 70% coverage on wall tiles. On floor it is meant to be 100%

Sounds like you got a dodgy bloke.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Was he licensed? If so, check the Fair Trading website to confirm if he is still registered. Put your claim in writing & post it to him. Then push Fair Trading.

8. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

I pulled up an entire bathroom recently with drummy tiles, the adhesion was so poor every tile lifted without breaking. If it's a bad enough job they may lift but it's a long shot.

If you drop a golf ball on each of the tiles as you go around the room the hollow sound will let you know which ones need to come up.

Last edited: 28th Jan, 2016