Tidbits from the Manafort trial

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 16th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Doesn't really belong in any of the other threads ... but there are some interesting tidbits coming oout.

Manafort recommended his banker - Stephen Calk - for a high profile White House "job for the boys" after the banker authorised a $16mil loan ... despite knowing that Manafort was lying about his finances.

Who did Manafort ask to "make it happen"? Jared Kushner - son in law of Trump

'On it!': Kushner brought up in Manafort trial over reply to email

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

And the bank has lost close on $12m on the loans (and likely will lose the lot).

This is what I love about Rachel Maddow. She reported on this a long time ago, before it was in the news elsewhere.

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I am also really enjoying the taping being released from Omarosa ... between her and Stormy ... a couple of women behaving with class (despite their backgrounds) and releasing the truth of what actually went on

Omarosa Paranoia Is Crippling the White House

if Vanity Fair is to far left for some - here's another further towards the centre

‘People are terrified’: Trump staffers live in fear of Omarosa’s next tape

or even further towards the centre

Penn Jillette says he knows Trump tapes exist, because 'I was in the room'

Interesting how Fox are in denial, despite tapes being released, preferring to "take the word" of proven liar insiders over the actual recordings - although Fox and Friends are starting to turn

‘Fox & Friends’: Omarosa Has ‘Outsmarted’ President Trump

marty998 likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Some upside.....Trump going to make these women rich..... cant wait for the book release:p

BTW.... does anyone think Kushner has gone overboard with botox, I do:eek:

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Obviously two quite different events.

The Manafort trial is obviously in a court of law. I'd give a lot of credibility to what has been said there.

Omarosa IMO doesn't have credibility unless proven so. She has an axe to grind and money to earn. While she may have good information, I'd take anything she says with a grain of salt unless proven otherwise (possibly recordings).

It's interesting that, despite all the problems Trump has had with leaks, and the efforts he's made to plug those leaks, that Omarosa was still able to record a live conversation in the situation room. That indicates to me a lack of control at the top.

Ambit likes this.
  6. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Ya think? :p

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I agree - which is why I'm only commenting on the recordings - and she knows that her credibility was on shaky ground too - and has admitted as much on national television - that no one would believe her without physical proof, which is why she recorded in the first place

geoffw likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Dean Collins likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

At the end of the day - all they are going to get Manafort on is a bit of dodgy tax stuff and some dodgy lending/finance stuff from YEARS ago...absolutely NOTHING in connection with some Russian collusion myth.....

Watch this space.....

Dean Collins likes this.
  10. wylie

His dodgy loans were from last year. He promised a senior position to the CEO of the bank. CEO wanted one of several positions he listed and was writing to the pentagon asking for briefing papers. Farcical. Kushner was in this too and replied he was “on it”. That’s Trumps people being very, very dodgy. Watch this space.

There is so much dodgy stuff they are drowning in dodgy.

spludgey and Lizzie like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The average jail time in the USA for tax avoidance and incorrectly filling various forms etc is about 1.5 years...yet Manafort is perhaps in for a life sentence?? and has been in solitary confinement for a month?

My guess is Trump will pardon him as soon as he is convicted.
    Now that's a interesting thought....:p

Last edited: 17th Aug, 2018
  12. wylie

He's got another trial coming up, and I think something like 21 different charges. So it isn't just a little bit of tax avoidance. (And that isn't even touching on the Russia stuff.)

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Aug, 2018
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

14. wylie

I'm sure you do understand that this trial itself is not directly linked with Trump, and it has been heavily reported that the judge directed that be the case, but Manifest as campaign manager, and all the dodgy stuff that comes with it do link directly to his time as campaign manager, his offer of top pentagon job to the bank CEO who defied the other directors and issued a $15m loan using dodgy application figures, oligarch forgiven (temporarily? in exchange for what?) debt once he joined Trump campaign, that he was in the meeting in the tower organised to give "dirt on Hillary", etc etc, etc.

These things are not coincidences. Give Mueller time.

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - there are some dodgy things that have come out, although not directly related to the crimes Manafort is charged for, and will need to be investigated in their own time

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not in my books... woeful... This stunt backfired

Rachel Maddow's not-so-big reveal of Trump's tax returns

Love this one.... a real corker

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Read post 1.....

18. wylie

The Maddow "meltdown" is old news. Big deal really... not.

Let me ask you @MTR ... do you see any link between Manifort (when he was known to be desperately cash strapped) offering to work for the campaign for free and the fact the $16m he owed to the oligarch being "forgiven" even temporarily?

Lizzie likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Come on you must admit its very funny, she will never live it down....

20. wylie

I don't think it is funny. She had a scoop. It didn't pan out. That's hardly a "one off" or something to be embarrassed about. She's a big girl and will get over it. She can laugh at herself.

What about the other question?