Three Phase Electricity or Bigger Tank (Hot Water System)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Rezix, 30th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rezix

Rezix Member

I bought an apartment in Maroubra and moved into it a couple of months ago, but have noticed the hot water only lasts around 15-20 minutes, due to the current single phase electric system being just a 50L tank in my kitchen cupboard.

I therefore need to work out whether to get three phase electricity set up in my apartment and replace the 50L tank with a decent instant electric model... or alternatively have a plumber install a 125L tank in the laundry and configure the plumbing from there instead.

Strata suggested that wouldn't have any problem with approving three phase if I want to get it installed and I can see four wires connected to the building from the street pole - so does anyone know who would be a good person to contact regarding setting up three phase to the apartment? Any rough idea what it would cost to do this as well?

I guess I should get a quote on installing three phase and a quote on replumbing from the laundry before deciding how to proceed - but no idea where to start with getting a quote on three phase - can any electrician do this?

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Installing a larger tank would be way cheaper, however do you have the spare space?

3. Rezix

Rezix Member

Even with the cost of re-doing the plumbing so the hot water system comes from the laundry instead of the kitchen? I have space in the laundry - predominately because I don't have / use a washing machine... but if and when I turn this into an IP I want it to have rental appeal, so I guess I'd need to make some adjustments to the laundry to allow both to fit.

Is three phase really that expensive to set up?

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I have an instant hot water in my ip running on 3 phase power.

I wouldn't get one again. It generates only enough hot water for one person to be using at a time. The hot water electric storage would work way better

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

It was installed in 2003 and going strong, maybe things have improved since then

6. rhinsor

You need to put in an application, someone to assess the work. The electricity company to turn off the power, install the cables, install a new meter box and reinstall all the existing wires to the meter box.
    I also don't know if your apartment has separate power cables going to the building or not.
    Plumbing should be cheaper. Can you not use existing cupboard space?

7. Rezix

Rezix Member

Ah damn... Unfortunately my cupboard isn't tall enough to house a tank bigger than the 50L one so I was hoping three phase would be simpler.

8. rhinsor

Get quotes from some plumbers and electricians about doing both. Easiest way to find out the price. Make sure to get more then 1 each.

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Also try a 7.5ltr per minute showerhead from a place like Bunnings. It will only cost about $20 for the showerhead. You might get longer showers from it, without outlaying huge dollars.

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I hate those "water saving" shower heads.
    Instead of having a quick 3-5 min shower it takes 2-3x longer, meaning the water usage is the same or more anyway.

First thing i do when installing is pop the water restricter out.

bob shovel likes this.