House & Home Three perspectives on modern housing

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Angel, 2nd Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Perthguy and Xenia like this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It may be more difficult to purchase a house large enough for a family in Melbourne as the couple claim that are "stuck in a rent cycle"
    But they can save a smaller deposit for a smaller house in a more affordable state so they can own investment properties while renting in the suburb they want to live in.

There are also other ways to make more money, if they are relying on one stream of income then they will be stuck for a long time.
    Research research... If they spent their available time learning and self improvement their situation can begin to change within 12 months and no they don't need to go without the nice dinner out or that awesome cappuccino per day because that can all be factored in :)

I'm a believer that anyone can do it and its about having a willingness to work hard and changing beliefs along the way - the hardest work you can possibly do.

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd Dec, 2017
    EN710 likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Or do what everyone did back decades ago - start out with what you can afford. Move further out. Buy or build a smaller home. You don't have to start out with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, double garage, which now seems to be the minimum requirement.

And children can survive sharing a bedroom. I was 20 when I first got my own bedroom at home when my sister got married!

Of course you will have difficulties if you will only consider buying a first home in an inner city suburb with a $1m median price tag.
    Marg

EN710, wylie and Angel like this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I had a choke on my vege toast reading that when Michael Yardley suggested they could buy a house a few suburbs away, they didnt want to get a second car to take the girls to school. Um, maybe a second car would work out a heck of a lot cheaper than a $1.3m house. But what would I know, I dont live in an inner suburb so I must be plain dumb.

5. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

"I don't have a mortgage"

You also don't own a house... You literally own a caravan...

I am all for tiny houses and sustainable living.. But you should at least aim to own the land it is parked on for security.

Also most councils have rules about occupants in caravans..

Perthguy and Xenia like this.
  6. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

That couple sound like such brats! They made a choice (which is fine) but act like there is some great injustice. Perhaps, they should have stayed in a share house for a bit longer whilst they were both working full time... Instead of having babies and upsizing.

7. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

James and Charlotte can't save enough for a deposit.. yet drive a brand new car >$35k.

I don't own a car worth more than $10k.

8. Marg4000

Amazing.

They were offered options but,
    Don't want kids to change schools
    Don't want to move further away, won't get another car
    Don't want to move away from friends.

Then complaining they can't save. But can afford to collect rare and exotic plants!

Bet in 20 years they will still be renting... and still complaining how unfair it is!
    Marg

9. Marg4000

They made the choice to have children as soon as they established careers, dual income. Nothing wrong if that is your choice, but don't complain that you then can't afford to own a home in an expensive suburb.

We delayed having children until we were in our own (first) home. For us, the security of owning our own house came before having children.
    Marg

legallyblonde likes this.
  10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

At least the couple building in Trig. bought five minutes' further away from their family's suburb and saved $150K in so doing. All kudos to them.

legallyblonde and Marg4000 like this.