"Threatening" email from PM re: smoke alarms (VIC)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by James Bond, 13th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Correct.

Which area do you need servicing? I'd be happy to give you some names - send me a PM.

Correct as well. That's not my "thing", it's very impersonal, and as we can see from the above some can get the wrong idea.

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

And that is what separates you from the average PM

skater and Lil Skater like this.
  3. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

i 'service' my own smoke alarms.

We have a few places in a country town and a few more in a suburb. A few weeks out i send the PM a note, any handyman tasks i want to know about up front, otherwise appointments an hour apart. I throw a new battery in, and keep a few spares on hand, i take the alarm off the wall use a jiffy fire starter outside in a tin/pot to make smoke then wave it over the top. If it fails i note it and install a new one, if not i note it and move on.

I also have a cheap gas probe that measures gas in the air, i run the heater, HWS, or oven and wave it around, as long as the thing looks clean i again note it and move on. So far never had a ping on the metre but have referred one to a plumber as it was a bit messed up.

A couple of tenants have said it is a bit inconvenient having me come out for 15 minutes, i think i will get a 'waiver' written out that lets them do the inspection themselves, replace a battery and email me the result or something.

S.T likes this.
  4. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

I do the same basically, but I use a can of simulated smoke, will save you some time and jiffys! http://www.agmelectrical.com.au/smo...operated/psa-smoke-detector-tester-spray.html

5. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Personally, even as an SM doing any non licensed required maint I'd rather pay $99pa for the service ($1.90pw)

7. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Interesting how they worded the letter to you. As I've got an IP in VIC, I have received a similar letter. My agency stated that they RECOMMENDED that I use this service for $99 per year, and highlighted the benefits around it. They never said I HAD to do it. They asked me that if I would like to do it, to sign the cut-off and post/scan and email it to my PM. Each year they send me a reminder that it will be completed again but I don't need to give them permission again.

All in all, easiest ever service to use.

8. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

My $64 combo 10 year battery alarm costs me $0.12 per week!

9. Elslan

Elslan Member

image.jpg Legislation regarding smoke alarms from MFB website in Victoria

10. MRTLR1000

MRTLR1000 Active Member

I do it, peace of mind. Many a times I've been to a house that's rented and the tenant takes the battery out when it is beeping, and doesn't bother putting one in...
    And a tip...place a smoke detector in the roof cavity near the manhole...if there is an electrical fire in the roof, the smoke doesn't activate the alarms on the ceilings or on side of walls....