thoughts on what I should be doing?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by NG., 17th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NG.

NG. Well-Known Member

hey guys, been a massive lurker on here and SS days, thought I recently sign up and contribute some more.

A little background;

• married 1 kid
    • PPOR - $600k outstanding LVR 83% P&I. purchased in 2017
    • 3x IP - $1.554m outstanding LVR 65% IO purchased between 2012 - 2013
    • I also have around 300k in undrawn VLOC/fully offset loans as I have just been recently extract equity and converting said equity to loans I can access when required
    • cashflow for the rental properties sees me inject around $4,000 p.a. out of my own cash.
    Essentially what I have been doing is just take my tax return which is circa $20k each year and put it against my non-deductible loan.

After reading the Investment Strategy sub-forum, I am looking to get some guidance on things I should be doing differently?

2018 one of my goals was to dabble into the share market, where I have holdings circa $110k, and is geared through an IHL and additional margin loan. I plan to short this on and off, but I am liking the bank stocks atm with their favourable dividend return plus franking. Long term I think the banks will be an awesome buy now with the Royal Commission, and global volatility atm. With their previous capital raisings, and post Royal Commission, I firmly believe the Banks will be stronger than ever, and hence happy to buy on red days to stockpile my holdings.

Should I be doing anything different?

I guess the goals are;

short term - continue with tax effective investments in order to maximise tax deductions whilst hoping for growth

long term - unencumbered assets with strong cash flow upon retirement

Cheers
    NG