Thoughts on townhouse development plans

Discussion in 'Development' started by Ros, 24th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ros

Ros Active Member

Hi all,
    We're doing our first development and I was wondering if any seasoned investors/developers would mind giving me some thoughts on the plans we've had drawn up.
    I've got some ideas as obviously I want to have them as user friendly as possible, to appeal to the OO market in the long term but it's hard to visualise sometimes.
    This is in Melb.

Thanks,
    R

Attached Files:

2. chris ma

chris ma New Member

it really depends on the suburb and demand,the middle unit is kind of risk for me.

3. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Because 2bd vs 3bd ?

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

What sort of suburb is it?
    The middle unit is much smaller but having some diversity in a block isn't a bad thing - the mixture of 2 bedders and 3 bedders can give some nice variety.
    There are no dimensions so I'm guessing on some things

Unit 1
    - if you could somehow create an entry nook it would define the living and entry better rather than the living area being some walk through. It's not terrible but Unit 2 for example has a better defined entrance.
    - from a liveability perspective having the tv in that location doesn't suit anyone's lounge layout. This isn't a killer but something that you could fix by putting the living where the study/dining is, put the dining next to the outdoor area and the study near the stairs (it really doesn't work there but something your designer might be able to fix)
    - good upstairs layout

Unit 2
    - I don't like triangle stairs but sometimes they are a necessary evil
    - I think the ground floor has good dimensions and flow. I'm presuming tv would actually go on the boundary wall and lounges face that
    - maybe one of the laundry doors should be a cavity slider to help with useability there
    - the area in front of the ensuite entrance from the master bedroom seems a waste of space and I would just increase the bathroom size and take it up. Put in a double vanity with the increased space.
    - which wall would a master bed go on? be careful with window placements in this room as there is doors everywhere

Unit 3
    - really worry about the width of that loungeroom but I'm not sure what the measurement is
    - the dining area feels very awkward with that funny space at the end and very skinny too. I'd look at changing the staircase shape to fix that
    - upstairs layout very nice

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Do you need designated off street visitor parking?
    Marg

6. Ros

Ros Active Member

I'm not the biggest fan of 2 beds but being in an older area and based on census data it may not be a bad thing as there's a lot of middle aged single/couples so downsizing will be a thing.
    Appreciate the feedback.
    @Marg4000 no visitor space required because not a big enough development
    @Westminster I'm thinking some of the same things but you've given me a couple more. There's no linen cupboard in U2 and as a mum this is something I noticed straight away!
    The full page plans I've got have a scale for downstairs but it's not equating for upstairs so I'm waiting to see if I can get better numbers.
    That living/dining in number 3 got me too and i'm wracking my brain trying to rejig it a little hence the post to pick some brains.

Last edited: 24th Jul, 2017