Thoughts on Templestowe Lower

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by PC12, 10th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PC12

PC12 Active Member

I’m not very familiar with the area but I just wondered if Templestowe Lower is a good suburb to buy as PPOR for a young family. We are planning to send our kids to a private high school when the time comes - we’ve given up on EDSC zone in Doncaster East/Donvale due to lack of quality houses within our budget and fierce competition at the moment. We were particularly interested in the area near the aquatic centre, not too far from Westfield Doncaster.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

No major issues as far as I know. Parts of it are far off the transport lines (the northern edge near Birrarung)

The Y-man

3. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Depends what you are into. But that area ain't cheap either unless you don't mind a sloping block..

Positives
    - leafy
    - quiet if you avoid the main roads
    - low density
    - mainly owner occupiers (European and Asians)
    - nice cafes, restaurants, parks, amenities scattered throughout
    - traffic is usually smooth
    - close to cbd
    - close to all the inner east private schools

Cons
    - some parts are low walkability
    - slopes
    - no bars/boring - Macca's is the hottest spot at night
    - flood zones near the Yarra

If you are into mc mansions you can also check out Yarra Valley boulevard in Bulleen or pleasant rd areas.

Happy hunting

4. PC12

PC12 Active Member

Thanks for confirming that, I thought so as well, looking at the map it looks quite central in Templestowe Lower being close to Doncaster Westfield and close enough to M3. I guess I just have to avoid near Bulleen where NE link tunnel will be built - that western part of TL seems a bit close to the tunnel.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Been researching and paying attention to this area, it just keeps going up in value.

Its a gem area, ticks so many boxes

6. PC12

PC12 Active Member

Thanks for summing that up nicely. Those are the exact reasons why I wanted to buy in the area. I don’t mind lack of fancy bars and restaurants etc. Yeah I’ve seen some properties on Yarra Valley Boulevard and while they look very nice part of it may be affected or too close to the tunnel being built soon? Just like Golden Way in Bulleen down south. Anyway thanks for the concise information. By the way is there a major problem on a sloping block? I’ve come across some with thick concrete base as a retaining wall and they looked quite solid.

7. PC12

PC12 Active Member

This house we looked at sits flat at the top of a moderate slope and to one side of the house is another house higher up but the base of foundation was solid concrete and on top of that had timber fences and the retaining walls for garden beds were not popping out at all. This house itself was sitting on a higher side of street as well compared to the opposite house.