NSW Thoughts on Stormwater Easement

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by fmcloud, 3rd Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fmcloud

fmcloud Member

Hi folks,
    We are very interested in a property in Sydney and have a question about easement. There is one easement The easement for the storm water runs along the rear of the property – near the boundary line/rear fence. I understand we cannot build there and don't intend to anyway. My question is that does it lower the value of property or is there any impact? I don't intend to sell it for a long time but then who knows. I have attached diagram too. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. K1200

K1200 Active Member

all other things being equal, an unencumbered block is always worth more than one with an easement.
    How much it affects the value is dependent on size and loaction of the easement, restrictions on land use, likelihood of access for maintenance or construction works, etc

Anthony416 likes this.
  3. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I’d think it would be a very limited impact on value given it’s so close to the fence, the block is too small to develop/subdivide and it’s not in the spot someone would build anyway. Perhaps it may limit the ability to add a pool so may turn off buyers who want to add a pool but there’s enough buyers out there who don’t want a pool.

4. Tyla

Tyla Well-Known Member

The impact on the value should be very small as it's close to the fence line. ~50% of properties have it.

5. kimbrisvegas

kimbrisvegas Well-Known Member

If I was looking at this property, it wouldn't have an impact on pricing for me, because it doesn't affect the envelope you would build on.

6. fmcloud

fmcloud Member

Thanks everyone for the inputs. Appreciated.