VIC Thoughts on property

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by papaya, 15th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. papaya

papaya Member

Hi guys,
    Just wanted some thoughts on a property that will be going to auction soon. Nice place but concerned about a few things - not in any particular order. 530-580k
    353 Main Road, Montmorency, Vic 3094

1) its on a slope (eyeballing - approx 20-30 degrees)
    2) its on a main road (literally on 'Main Road') which can get pretty busy
    3) water/flooding due to slope
    *Seems to be a recent reno but had my eye on some spots on the wall that looked like possible water damage/buildup behind the paint - will have another closer look next time its open
    *I came after a few days of decent rain and the soil/grass on side of the lawn was also really wet and muddy
    4) worried about termites due to rain

I'm looking to live there for at least 4-5 years but worried about resale/rental prospects down the track.
    Theres another open later this week so if you guys have any suggestions that I could look out for please let me know!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How does it flood if it is on a 20-30 degree slope? Consider the installation of some spoon drains to divert water around the house rather than under the house

Improve the ventilation under the house - it is too enclosed.

Don't tell people the property address of the houses you are considering - someone else might see it and have deeper pockets than yourself.

Stoffo, Beano, Brady and 1 other person like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Looking at the pic, I'd say water would go IN and through the house if that little drain out the front got overwhelmed.

Def not good feng shui

The Y-man

4. The Y-man

@papaya

What attracts you to this property?

The Y-man

5. papaya

papaya Member

Thanks for the tips @Scott No Mates ! Reading some of the forums on this and other threads had me in the same headspace (installing drains).

@The Y-man the attraction is its close to work, renovated so I shouldn't need to do too much to it, the price is good (due to negatives) and I like the area, I drive pass it on my way to work everyday!

6. papaya

papaya Member

Its also a standalone property (no OC fees)

7. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Wasn't this house on selling houses awhile back?

Series 5 episode 10

8. papaya

papaya Member

Indeed it was! Its obviously since changed owners though. Thanks for bringing this up, I'm watching the video now.

9. The Y-man

OC fees can be very low for villa units - for example we have units where it is $92 per year (common driveway insurance).

The Y-man

10. papaya

papaya Member

There are a few properties that have the driveway insurance but most others I've been to so far have been between 1200-1500 per year.

So @The Y-man you dont think it will be worthwhile purchasing this property in the long run?

11. The Y-man

Not for me (or anyone!) to tell you where to live :)

BUT as an investment, the reason it is cheap today will not change over time.
    This might still be ok as it remains relatively affordable compared to other props in the area.

The other risk is structural - slopes are difficult for 2 reasons - 1. earth movement under it (it's not that flat land is immune form this from drying etc, but it is exacerbated on slopes) so your house over time can basically be split apart (cracks in walls etc). In that sense a weatherboard structure is better as it flexes). 2. cost of (re)build - building on a slope is more expensive

From a straight investment perspective in the vicinity, I'd probably go for:

2/80 Torbay Street, Macleod, Vic 3085

Allegedly no OC (duplexes technically don't need, and I assume it doesn't have a shared driveway)

The Y-man

papaya likes this.
  12. papaya

papaya Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep all this in mind leading up to the auction. Also really appreciate the recommendation on the Macleod property. I'll have to check it out this weekend!

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Isn't a water feature good Feng Shui? :confused:

The Y-man likes this.
  14. papaya

papaya Member

I dont know too much about Feng Shui (although my family are so caught up in it :/) but it shouldnt be too bad given its not at the bottom of the valley...

15. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

The median house price for the suburb is $887,500.....so you want to buy $300K under that and still get something decent? Probably not going to happen. :(

....eh, most Asian buyers do not like properties on the low side of the road - concerns about flooding. Selling later into a smaller buyer pool (pun intended).
    ....and will only get busier over time.
    You can stop talking now, I've stopped listening.
    Why am I still answering?? o_O
    Termites don't swim well. They like moisture and darkness not floods. :p

Do not buy this house......
    [​IMG]

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia