Thoughts on parks/reserves

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Ben Connor, 9th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ben Connor

Ben Connor New Member

Greetings all

What are your thoughts on properties that back or have boundaries onto a reserve/park?

Anyone had experience, story or thought to do with this?

Cheers

2. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the park and how busy it is. My PPOR is opposite of a reserve/public grounds with an AFL pitch and it's been awesome. Never gets crowded and there is parking for the reserve but some people park on our street. I would have missed on the property if it would get too busy.
    Also i wouldn't have liked it if the property shared a boundary with the reserve.

3. Mogul

Mogul Active Member

I think property backing on to parks and reserves hold their value and sell for a premium. Its nicer than being boxed in on all sides by neighbours and you know that it wont be developed in the future. My IP is on a reserve and I intend to buy only properties that have absolute waterfront, reserve or golf course boundaries.

4. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

A previous PPOR (new estate cul-de-suc street) we chose to be one block off the park at the suggestion of our builder. The reason was that council will not pay for half of the fencing .

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Seriously? You pay for a fence every 25 years, so you've knocked back a property because you couldn't get the neighbour's contribution of $500-750.

craigc, Ambit, Joynz and 2 others like this.
  6. Candlebark

Candlebark Well-Known Member

If you are in a Zone that allows medium density you may be able to have a reverse living dwelling (living area at level 1) with a balcony overlooking the park. This saves on ground level area for garden space, potentially enabling more dwellings on the site. Probably only relevant if the site is close to transport and shops

7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

It depends on the area - parks that attract wayward kids and drunks are not so great to share a boundary with. It makes unauthorised access to your property easier for the general masses.

wylie and Marg4000 like this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Depends.

Daughter was keen on a property that backed onto a park and Bushland reserve. She checked with local police who told her that break-ins were a problem as the reserve at the back provided hidden access and quick getaway for thieves.
    Marg

wylie, Kasi and Jess Peletier like this.
  9. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I agree - against the reserve or park is considered a premium.. I remember looking at a few that had were priced 100-150K higher due to being back onto the park

Also you can be creative and install like some custom outdoor doors which will enable you to increase the opening and make an outdoor area seem like yours. for sports, recreation etc.

10. Mogul

Mogul Active Member

Yes this is a down side. Attractive to the scum of society. I would definitely take measures to ensure security. Buy in an area with less scum and plenty of owner occupiers - preferably elderly who are at home all day and good guardians of the neighbourhood.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just like backing onto a rail line where you can enter into a licence for beautification to disguise your location by plantings and landscaping the additional space.

melbournian likes this.
  12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

and some train spotting, even better if your on a coal route, endless fun counting the trucks.

13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Parks are ok, just depending on park and area itself.

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I totally agree with Jess's comment above! Do your research on the park and area- it can either be a bonus for the fewer neighbours and outlook, or a security risk.

For what it matters, most of my work is in lower socioeconomic areas and I've had very very few problems with properties backing onto parkland and reserves.... even in the worst neighbourhoods! That being said, part of me says that I may be the exception, touch wood.

15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

My old PPOR backed on to the Geelong West oval
    It had an old 4.5ft timber fence when I bought
    I could sit on the old outside toilet and watch footy training :confused:

When I left it had a7m wide, 8ft high gal steel bifolding gate :)

It was great for bbq's, back yard cricket/footy took on new meanings, could keep an eye on the kids too ;)

Today I don't have a side or back fence :eek:
    I get to chat to the people walking past :cool:
    And it's just bush out the back (get wallabys, echidnas, blue tounge lizards, rarely snakes, used to see the odd deer, yes in Sutherland;))
    Bought a great security camera system, 7 years and the only trouble has been on the street !

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I back onto a park. It is great. Five minute walk to the shopping centre and city bus.

17. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

There's no right or wrong answer.

It all comes down to the specific reserve/park. If it attracts riff raff then obviously it's not ideal - you really need to get a feel for the area. Go for a walk - chat with some locals. If you see cut up hose pipes and empty booze bottles then it's probably not ideal.

Cheers

Jamie

Tom Rivera likes this.