Thoughts on Nathan birch's 2018 recession theory

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Frank M, 27th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. datageek

datageek Well-Known Member

To me, an expert is judged by their track record. I've been assessing experts for about a decade now.

I have almost nothing on Nathan Birch. Does anyone have any concrete cases of purchases made or recommended locations with dates?

Surely someone knows of a project he may have promoted in the past. Surely someone is a past client.

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    This guy calls him "Mr IQ" ....

An angry Mr IQ shows whites of the eyes - MacroBusiness

This guy gets even more direct...

Birch now in damage control

He's leveraged probably multiple times over in a wedding-style tier cake of investments. Normally the base layers are all paid off and fund the layers above in increasingly marginal increments but I can see this guy's mantra is not to have any "dead" equity at all sitting in a property so he'll have gone back to the bottom layers (his first investments that did the best) and siphoned out whatever equity he could from every layer.

Otherwise he wouldn't be in this situation. If he had even one solid property, he could have just liquidated that to cover multiple ongoing money demands at once. The fact he hasn't implies he's got no real equity of note in anything. The whole thing is as solid as pavlova all the way down and now the bank has put its foot on top.

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

My god, 3 out of 4 posts are a few bogans trying to outdo eachother in boganness

datto likes this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I feel dirty after reading that. I'll stay here, thankyou very much, where we don't have that level of foul mouth trash.

Redwing, HUGH72 and TMNT like this.
  5. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

I used his buyers agency back in 2012 for 3 cash flow purchases. No dramas, got what I asked for. I already had quite a few properties behind me at the time and after enduring some terrible cash flow from them, I would only look at positive cash flow properties from them.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Nathan was a regular poster on Somersoft - plenty of discussion about his investments there from his pre-bInvested years - Nathan

He stopped posting once he ramped up his business.

Rugrat and ndpjai like this.
  7. Vertigo

Vertigo Well-Known Member

I wonder why no one likes him? I often used to read about him renovating in those Property magazines many years ago and to be honest the one article when he made 130+ in a reno somewhere in the middle of nowhere was the reason why I started to buy property and do it.

I never engaged the guy for anything but I often used to read about him in the forums, of course he comes across as a bogan but no one is perfect and for no doubt he has a hard work ethic in regards to labour

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think thats part of the marketing tool.... bogan, everyone loves the underdog, poor boy made good

love your avatar...... fascinating.....:)

spludgey likes this.
  9. Vertigo

Vertigo Well-Known Member

thanks, I followed your posts also for many years, congrats on the success! :)

MTR likes this.
  10. SMTY

SMTY Well-Known Member

An angry Mr IQ shows whites of the eyes - MacroBusiness
    Reading the comments in that thread highlights there is a lot of envious and bitter people out there who seem to gain joy from others joining them in their misery, to validate their own poor choices

11. AnDy62

AnDy62 Active Member

Agree - Nathan gets a lot of hate, but he is a smart guy who has worked very hard and done well for himself. Many people who veer off from the mainstream get a lot of hate sadly. His success comes a working class boy who in his own words 'failed every grade from kindergarten to Year 12'. You gotta admire that imo.

twisted strategies likes this.
  12. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

here in 2020 , i guess i could add a little bit of jealousy to the hate group , i thought this meltdown was due in 2013 , kudos to Nathan for getting closer than me .

but the novices now are being offered the education of a lifetime if they choose to watch and learn

several records have been broken this year in the financial world , maybe there are a couple more to come

take care there could be more complications to come

Antoni0 and wilso8948 like this.
  13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I bought a small commercial property which he had suggested in a large rural city a number of years back - $200K & $10K spotters fee - based on cashflow, a lease and the ability to buy cash. He had offered a number of properties, this appeared to be the best.

It's been an absolute dog. It's in a crappy area. Graffiti has been a big problem. The initial tenants didn't renew (it's possible the lease was a setup to sell the property). After a long vacancy, I had one tenant who had big problems paying - but did eventually pay back. Then a tenant who had big problems paying - ended up owing $28k which I couldn't get back. It was vacant for a long time (during which insurance was too expensive to be worthwhile). I had one tenant who had three months rent free in return for a two year lease - but then vacated in less than nine months (even though the rent was substantially less than initially, making the cashflow positive incentive redundant). It's been vacant for well over a year now. I had a buyer interested about six months ago. He then withdrew, then came in again. When Covid-19 came, he withdrew again. He's just come back in again. Sale price - $170k, though with vendor finance (first mortgage though).

So it lost money for all but the first six months, and will lose on the sale - but I'm happy to be rid of it.

mitsui, TMNT and charttv like this.
  14. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Because he's dishonest and makes money at the expense of others.

fols likes this.
  15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Ouch!:eek: