Thoughts on investing in commercial vs buying residential

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Stan, 12th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of purchasing my first residential property (PPOR) and turning that into an IP.

However, when you run through the numbers from a cash flow perspective, the numbers really don't stack up. You will need at least 10 years of rent growth for the rent to cover your mortgage and this isn't including all your outgoings like PM, maintenance, etc. All you're counting on is capital growth and leveraging that out into other IPs.

Commercial properties will be cash flow positive from day one and all outgoings are covered by the tenant.

It makes more sense to rent and buy a commercial property vs buying a home.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this a viable strategy?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You're just looking at it from a cashflow angle though. You're missing the part where a significant amount of the money you make is from the capital growth and leveraging opportunities.
    Which frankly, generally would dwarf any cashflow losses or gains if you're doing things right.

Otherwise we'd all be buying properties in Broken Hill.

3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Commercial properties have capital growth too and that would be based on the income that property is generating. Higher income = Higher valuation. Plus, the valuation increase is less risky because most leases increase 3-4% (and that is almost guaranteed if it's in the contract) YOY which would result in a higher valuation.

What would you leverage your equity into?

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yeah I completely disagree with this. That is a very, very simplistic analysis and I hope you don't base your long term strategies on it.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I bought something bottom end based on very good cash flow. The tenant was good, but then moved out. I had two crap tenants after that. One eventually paid back arrears, but the next was evicted owing $25k. I have a stable tenant now but the previous tenant left behind a lot of repair work to be done (which wasn't visible - drainage, electrical) which has proved to be very expensive. I had to drop rent for the current tenant, a charity. It's a 3 year lease with no options. So I'd have to wait for perhaps 12 months of good payment before selling, and would probably take a loss in selling due to short lease and lower rent.

6. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

To me, something that is in a contract where the tenant has to pay a 3-4% increase in their lease is less risky than counting on capital growth based on what the neighbors are selling their houses for in this low interest rate environment.

By the way, how's your experience in investing in commercial properties vs residential?

Thanks for sharing, geoffw.

Would you be able to look into the financial statement of the tenant before leasing it to them? For example, a business that is making a loss would be a terrible tenant.

Any key takeaways from this experience?

Gypsyblood and NWHT like this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The first tenant had an excellent repayment history. Although I guess it would have been easy for the vendor to have faked payments to himself - it would have earnt him heaps in the sale.

Subsequent tenants were welcomed just to avoid vacancy.

Takeaways? Yes, it was for a while, but not a very successful one.

The area is not very good, so it would always struggle. A charity is a good fit.

I was impressed with its its cashflow which blinkered me to the bad points.

It was sourced by a former member, well known for his high profile. No names please, it's easy to guess. He collected his high spotter's fee.

Phantom, Stan and Shahin_Afarin like this.
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Gypsyblood and Stan like this.
  9. The Y-man

Yes it can.

As you have noted - very strong tenants required - typically large listed companies that won't go under, and government departments, with a good mix of lease expiries (WALE).

We invest in these through REITs.

The Y-man

10. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

I have seen some horror purchases where investors have purchased purely on the yield. Look at the quality of the tenant, the postcode/area, any new developments proposed in the area that may affect your property.

Commercial properties can be excellent but you really need to do your homework and know what you are doing.

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

As a rule of thumb these more passive types of CIP are expensive. For the price of a PPOR/IP you are looking at a much smaller CIP which will be at risk of having Lessees get into arrears, go bust and/or both.
    CIP sounds easy as the Lessee pays a lot but it's generally only good when it's tenanted and the tenant is paying. When it's vacant or tenanted and the tenant is not paying it is very very very vacant and can take months to get another tenant in and they may want fitout contributions etc.
    And yes I have CIP and RIPs. I actually prefer RIPs.

Gypsyblood, Perthguy and Stan like this.
  12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Finance Finance and more Finance

many peops look at comm and dont yet get the lower lvrs, higher rates, and potentially higher risk of a "margin call", they have bright object syndrome

Comm is great, BUT not in place of a starter to middling resi Portfolio

Most people have neither the resources nor the risk profile

ta
    rolf

13. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Where abouts did you read these lies!!!

More lies.

To actually add something of value to my response....Commercial is no more complicated the residential, if anything it may be a little easier. Investing in resi is complicated when you don't know anything about it but you research, learn and ask plenty of questions and it start to all fall into place....same with commercial.

Knowing the market yield (or cap rate) you should be applying to the net income to value a property at takes time and experience. Retail/Industrial/Office/torrens title/strata title/lease terms/development potential plus other macro factors like interest rates all play their part in determining how to value a property. It's not one of the 'dark arts' it just takes experience just like valuing residential property.

If you believe all tenants pay outgoings you haven't look at many commercial properties. Get out and look at lots more.

Last edited: 12th Mar, 2018
    Gypsyblood likes this.
  14. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

You're speaking in absolute terms. Nothing is absolute in property let alone commercial. Commercial is a beast with very big horns - if you don't have the resources to tame the beast (knowledge and funds) stay away until you have done a lot of homework and have a some experience and a solid financial foundation.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  15. wooster

wooster Well-Known Member

My experience in commercial is purely retail, and if you have selected the correct property, the capital growth + rental increase is way higher than residential, not to mention you dont have to do anything as all reno are done by you tenant not the owner. Yes, the value of the shop is base on the rental income, but make sure you are selecting a shop that there are having a lot of pedestrian traffic, else the rental income may be high, but the once the tenant left, the vacancy period can be long, i.e. > 6 months.

For tenant, you can just make sure they pay at least 3 months bond, and also buy insurance that cover in case they run away without paying rent + sue their butt off legal fee.

Gypsyblood, seachange and Stan like this.
  16. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Which area is this at?

I'm a big fan of REITs too. Do you pay cash for your REITs shares or use leverage? Without leverage, it is quite hard to generate a significant enough income to make them meaningful.

$100,000 cash would just generate ~$5,000 pa without leverage.

Other than good capital growth and low vacancy rates, why do you prefer your RIPs over your CIPs?

Gypsyblood likes this.
  17. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Do you check your tenant's financial statements before "letting them in"?

What is a correct retail property for you? Would traffic be the #1 factor in retail?

18. The Y-man

Just be aware most REITs are internally leveraged.
    i.e. the return you get = rent - outgoings - PM fees - maintenance - interest

So using borrowed money to do REITs can be "super leveraging" - along with it's inherent risks.

5% would be a pretty low return.
    I aim for 6% minimum, with some riskier ones over 9%pa

The Y-man

Gypsyblood and Silverson like this.
  19. wooster

wooster Well-Known Member

The key risk isn't the tenant itself, but selecting the correct shop which it has to be high demand or have potential high demand. What that translated to be is you do not have to care what the financial position they are in, but you can find the next tenant as long as they breach their contract. of course make sure you reduce your risk by buying insurance and selecting an real estate agent that is proper.

It is hard to check their financial as they can have a lot of cash in their account, but their business can make the lose it very quickly if their business isn't taking off. So, it isnt a really good way to reduce your risk, and can only use it as a compensating control.

The correct retail property is of course
    1. within my capability to buy, as it wont used all my cash, so I wont be able to pay the commercial loan if there is a extended period of vacancy period
    2. have potential to increase rent massively. that require to wait pretty much patiently. The best is the first term are around 1-3 years to go, and you can foresee higher demand once in 1-3 years time. Not to mention the banks love the current lease to have some remaining so they are more comfortable to lend it to you. If the first term is almost finishing, the banks are less willing to lend you. May not even lend you at all.
    3. if 2. isn't the case, then make sure you find some where already have a lot of traffic but potential to add value. e.g. add a level, partition the shop into 2 smaller one, change usage and etc.
    4. the last rule is the most important, never over paid. I like the 5% ROI rules, if a shop is in a really busy place, I can accept the 5% ROI, so, if the shop is renting with 50K net, I will pay 1 mil. Provided I know once the shop finished it first term, I can say increase it to 75K-100K. The better could be you do things that add value and jack the rent to say 15% ROI. then you shop will worth around 2-3Mil by then.

Gypsyblood, Westminster and The Y-man like this.
  20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I prefer RIPs for these reasons
    - easier to finance, less capital outlay required
    - can value add via developing
    - can be sold/rented with an emotional uptake by lessees/buyers. If they feel an emotional connection with the dwelling they will pay more
    - shorter amount of time to find tenants (generally)
    - no incentives/fitout

With a CIP the value is often intangible with the value of the lease. The better the lease is the more the CIP is worth. If it's vacant then selling it can be a big issue.

CIP Lessee financial statements are either kept low by their Accountant for tax purposes or made too high for themselves to get finance for something. @wooster explains it well that a good tenant is nice but a great location that will have other tenants vying for it or happy to come in quickly is king.

Gypsyblood and Perthguy like this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.