Thoughts on floor plan change

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by alwayslearning2, 9th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alwayslearning2

alwayslearning2 Active Member

Hi Guys,

I've been thinking about some possible floor plan changes, hoped to hear the forums opinions.

I'd like to make the rear lounge room a full square, at the moment its just an odd shape and not that useful. The low roof/exposed beams make it feel quite cramped.

This would mean removing the second bathroom.

For a 4 bedroom house, I think the 2nd bathroom is a must, so would look to making the other bathroom & laundry space (area in red) an area with bathroom, laundry 2 x toilets, (2 showers too much ?)

Does this make good sense?

Thanks !
    floorpln.PNG IMG_1397.JPG

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Considering the rear lounge is a second living area I don't think it's that important and is a nice to have if it's an IP but I wouldn't be spending a lot of money to fix. If I was going to do anything then I would just re-orient the bathroom that is currently in it 90 degrees and make it long and skinny so that the lounge can be a more regular shape. A shower, toilet and vanity will fit into a 1.5 x 3m rectangle if needed and run along the back of the laundry wall.

If it's a PPOR then the rules are different and I'd probably be trying to work out how to make an ensuite to one of the bedrooms.

wylie likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

On paper 4x2 is a good thing but that layout with the bathroom in the laundry looks odd.o_O

The laundry takes up a big amount of floor space

Has this house had an extension or 2 over the years?

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think the house looks good as a dual living candidate, if you add a kitchen/kitchenette to the back half.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is this an IP? If so, I'd not spend anything on it.

If it is a PPOR, then I'd be more inclined to remove the walls between kitchen, dining and living at the front and have that as my large open plan living area and keep that second living area at the rear as it is.

The laundry and bathroom could be made to work better, but that is a big spend that may not be needed.

If you are living there yourself, then it comes down to how you live, how much you want to spend and whether it improves the flow.

Edit: Just realised the photo seems to be the front entry. I'd been looking at the "porch" at the rear and thinking the photo was at the rear. But I'd still open up the back kitchen and living area and keep this entry lounge area as is, unless you cannot stand it (assume you live there).

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Or knock it all down sometime and build a dream house with a good layout!:p

7. alwayslearning2

Spot on - original build 1960's - additions to the rear is the late 80's it seems.

8. alwayslearning2

.... this idea may end up the winner. Currently an ip, but candidate to be a ppor in future.

9. alwayslearning2

Thanks Wylie. The property is currently IP, but may become ppor in future which I probably why Im giving this more thought than i would for a straight IP. You are right re the photo - thats facing to the rear of the property...

10. alwayslearning2

Thats interesting....:)

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

There seems to be a lot of wasted space in the centre of the house where the kitchen, hallway and laundry are. That area could be rejigged. I like the idea above to make the back bathroom smaller and your lounge room larger, but it possibly isn't necessary. Have you had any feed back from tenants or PM about improving the layout?

For you to think about: How much more rent will you get if you alter the house and what will it cost to make the alterations?

bob shovel, wylie and alwayslearning2 like this.
  12. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

There is no ensuite? Can front living be converted to master bedroom with ensuite and robe? Then convert another bedroom to bathroom and laundry? Allows rear living to be opened up.

alwayslearning2 likes this.