QLD Thoughts on Everton Park

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Angel, 20th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

What are people's current opinions on Everton Park?

2. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

yes, i like all those suburbs around there

3. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

I think it's a great suburb. Put a few offers in there but missed out. Ended up buying in keperra but really liked the feel of Everton park. Remained me a lot of the pennant hills/cherrybrook in Sunday (but obviously a lot closer to the CBD).

I do remember when I was putting offers in the agents said houses were selling 5-10% above the asking price (and this seems realistic as I kept missing out with what I thought were solid offers). No sure what's going on with the masters store though? Any locals know?

Pash81 likes this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Last time I was in Masters at the end of January, the lady I spoke to said it is their most profitable store in Australia. I have heard there are other big retailers in negotiations with the parent company for this one, but nothing more. Bunnings are very close by in Stafford.

Last week's local rag stated that Myers is leaving Brookside and rumours that Target will return there.

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the area well enough that you could help me do a feasibility for a specific property. please PM if you can volunteer a few hours.

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That would be good if Target came back there.
    The food court could do with a revamp too.

7. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

It's a massive joint. Anyone know if Bunnings keperra is still going ahead? Thought they may take over the space?

8. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Our first Brisbane purchase was at Enogerra and it required a major reno.

Was up there on and off for around 6 months at the start of 2014 and regularly go back there.

A lot of that time was spent at Brookside and the Stafford Bunnings.

It is a great well located area with excellent public transport - the army barracks have provided the majority of our tenants (we have three pack of 2 x 1).

We looked at investing further in the area but finished up at Wynnum instead.

mcarthur likes this.
  9. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

I live just up the road in Ferny Hills. Nice area but I will be moving in the next couple of months once I find a long term PPOR that satisfies my misses needs :-/

Not sure what the deal is with Masters, however I was in there today buying some materials to fix up a retaining wall. I have heard that Ikea and Costco were looking into it but that was a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything since. Either of those would be ideal as Bunnings is just up the road. Whatever happens with it, I don't foresee it happening in the next few months at least anyway.

10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest you ask Angel, then I realised you were the OP ;)

From afar, I hear lots of positive murmurs .

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I am cranky with myself for not being confident to do it myself. I don't feel I can do it without someone to hold my hand.

Last edited: 21st Mar, 2016
    Foxdan and Bran like this.
  12. Ember

Ember Well-Known Member

I have inspected a few houses in that suburb. We ended up buying elsewhere and won't be buying again for a few months. I am happy for you to pm me the address and I will give you feedback on value.

13. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Northside suburb so safer.
    I recommend Everton Park. I think it's quite a leafy quiet suburb. No issues.

733 likes this.
  14. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I don't know about it being safer on the northside, I do like area around Brookside shopping centre with Mitchelton train station nearby.
    I've had a house in Everton Park for quite a few years, good condition, never had any vacancies with the best tenants I've ever had.

Compared to places nearby like Stafford it hasn't been a geat performer CG wise. I don't know if its because there are a lot of unrenovated 1960 places in the suburb which don't attract the same premium, they are on good blocks of land with plenty of potential.

If I look at suburbs south of the river a similar distance from the cbd 7-10km they seem to have grown more. Maybe its due to outperform.

I would recommend only buying on quiet streets away from the busy main arterials like Stafford rd, South pine rd and Old Northern rd.

And nothing too close to Kedron Brook.

Whitecat likes this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

In comparing Stafford to EP, I have always thought that Stafford comes off a lower base median. Stafford was once mostly HC and war service homes, all tiny. Some high class homes were built up high in the 1960s and 70s. It has been hyped in the property mags and the entire suburb profile has risen. There are still many small houses that are available for future renos and extensions.

EP has mostly been privately owned homes. There are very few if any typical war service mass produced houses. Most of the suburb is newer than Stafford with larger and nicer homes to start with, hence the higher base from which to grow. From my experience there are not many properties left that have scope for improvement. The one I have access to certainly has scope for improvement.

Whitecat likes this.
  16. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Yes that was my understanding that Stafford had a fair bit of HC stock although I don't follow the area very closely.
    RP data lists the median house prices as:

Stafford 590,000
    Everton park 561,000
    Both have recorded 11% growth to Feb16.
    What I don't understand is why the Stafford median is higher, historically I don't think that was the case?

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Most likely the new houses on Stafford Heights with their city views and similar standard as the big new houses in Wavell. Only a small number of similar houses in ep, and probably not as elevated as SH. eg Dargie and Felstead Sts compared to Redwood St. Maybe they lose value the further west you go. Their blocks of land are small at 405m2 so that would make sense.

18. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

733 likes this.
  19. Ember

Ember Well-Known Member

Ha ha, the last public trustee auction I went to mid week had over 100 people and over 30 bidders. Sold for 300k above our max bid.

HUGH72 likes this.
  20. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Sydney?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia