NSW Thoughts on duplex design

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by MG7, 10th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MG7

MG7 Member

Hi,

I am currently in the design phase for a duplex build in the Illawarra area. It is a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom and 2 car garage design for each duplex.

One of the things on my mind is whether the combined living/dining room (which is 4.35 x 5.00m) is too small or is a reasonable size? This does lead into an outdoors alfresco area. The only other option I was thinking was to extend off the kitchen to create a separate dining area next to the alfresco, although I'm not really wanting to increase the sqm/cost much more.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, thanks!

Ground floor_page-0001.jpg Level 1_page-0001.jpg

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

4 bedrooms & 1 very shared living area?

craigc and qak like this.
  3. MG7

MG7 Member

Yes and there is also a small study area in the current design.

4. Spad

Spad Well-Known Member

I would ditch bed 4 and make that a second lounge/media/rumpus area.

Marg4000 likes this.
  5. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Personally - having installed solar - too many roof lines. I think this would add to building costs?
    How wide are these double garages & their doors?

Edit - and the back area looks too small, by the time you add a dining table in there and allow for the chairs I'm not sure how you fit a lounge for TV viewing?

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Agree. Make this area a multi-purpose room.

As the plan stands, the living/dining area is far too small for 4 bedrooms + study.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It needs
    I'd get rid of Bed 3

Spad likes this.
  8. MG7

MG7 Member

The double garage is 6x6m.

The rooftop on the first level is a skillion roof (so a split roof between both sides), but yes a few rooftops off the ground floor from trying to minimise the size of the first floor. Doesn't seem to have impacted the pricing (as it is based on the sqm, except for going for a skillion roof above the first floor).

9. HenryC

HenryC Well-Known Member

Agree! Especially nowadays occupiers need more common area for family etc. Good Luck!

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If this is for sale I would be talking to a couple of the best agents in the area what buyers want. Look at the best duplexes sold in the area and study their floor plans.

newtobuilding, Synergi and qak like this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

That living/dining at the back definitely isn't big enough for both functions. You would need at minimum 4.35 x 7 to get it to function as both so effectively you'd need to use the alfresco space if you want it a combined area and put the alfresco next to the kitchen or as per your idea you put a dining area next to the kitchen and leave the alfresco where it is. I

The design/layout of the house is a little odd with the upstairs layout being very uneconomical in my opinion especially if they are trying to put a skillion roof over that. Not sure why it sticks out over the garage when there is plenty of room to go backwards.

Personally I would get rid of that awkward upstairs study and push the master and bathrooms backwards and use up that space. That will save you some money to do the downstairs dining room

Word of warning - those stairs are going to be awful for getting furniture up. I would make them a little longer so that you don't have triangle/kite stairs