Thoughts on Bankwest?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by izzy16, 16th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Sat down with my broker yesterday and based on my financials he recommended two options for me:

1. Bankwest
    2. CBA

I'm a current CBA customer (business and personal banking) but was told it could take over 3 weeks to get a pre-approval with them and we are keen to house-hunt ASAP.

I was told Bankwest would be much faster (under 10 days).

So I agreed to lodge with Bankwest without knowing too much about them.

Now I'm wondering if I've made the right choice given I've been with CBA for 4+ years.

Would love to hear some opinions on Bankwest...

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Whats your concern, exactly? Bankwest is fully owned by CBA.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

If you're second guessing your broker, maybe time to get a new broker?

The Y-man

MC1 likes this.
  4. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

Mainly customer experience and service.

I've read quite a few negative reviews online but many of them seem quite old.

I'm just trying to field some more opinions on them that are separate to what my broker is telling me.

If they are rubbish I might just wait out the extra few weeks on pre-approval and stick with CBA.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I've rarely - if ever? - dealt with banks directly (regarding loans). Always through my broker.

The Y-man

6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What customer experience and service mean here? You need a loan. Choosing a lender based on fast response time is important, especially in NSW, where the purchase timing is tighter.
    Your broker will deal with the lender.
    Focus on whats important.
    Still don't understand what the question is. Will you refuse to use a lender because their call centre has bad phone manners?

7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I hear this a lot from new investors. It doesn't matter. I was also told recently by a new investor she wanted to stick with her current bank even though they had worse terms because they had all her details anyway so it would make the application easier. That's a pretty poor reason to choose one bank over the other too.

8. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

BW pretty decent lender and has some upsides. Process, speed, tech, etc are all very good.

Overall, right now, the actual marginal difference in lender selection may be a lower priority than 'getting it done'. There's scope going to very slow lenders at the moment and missing out on what your really looking for. Overweighting a branding/product difference that likely doesn't matter too much or have a significant cost difference.

This is often hard to appreciate, but brokers lodging lots of deals will know that getting loan approvals some some places can lead to delays, slowness, etc - which can be better managed with different product selection.

E.g. Macquarie have significant growth because they get things done very well.

craigc and izzy16 like this.
  9. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your insight Redom, that was really helpful.

Redom likes this.
  10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

BWA are like all lenders

Perfect sometimes, average other times, and whooooooooooaaaaaaaa what I have done .....rarely.

BWA have a couple of policy niches around the High LVR Space and in Active Debt Recycling cirlces

ta
    rolf

11. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

wise words

ta'rolf

12. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

BWA are fine.

CBA are better/easier to deal with when it comes to post settlement service and their online banking is superior.

BWA are usually a bit cheaper on rate.

Cheers

Jamie

13. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Go with your gut!
    Personally I love CBA.. good customer service, usually pretty fast with getting things done, I like their netbank interface (the others don’t really compare), I’ve got a pretty good relationship manager etc. But these are things which are important to me, besides getting a loan. Each to their own.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  14. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Both are about the same, but time is key right now.

CBA has a 25 business day turnaround time, hence not a good choice if you're purchasing.

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

OK BW made a mistake. All organisations make errors and have processes. They didnt compromise your data did they ? The privacy officer at BW would be interested in your report of the mater and would act to limita repeat of what seems a fundamental oversight

16. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Have you seen both branches?
    CBA - most amount of branches but it looks like a nightclub with people waiting outside to be let in to queue again

Bankwest - walk through barely anyone in there and some are open on weekends. Only problem is not many branches (specially in eastern states)

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia