QLD Thoughts on 1 bedroom units in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by T Macdonald, 1st Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Here is food for thought...

In some suburbs you have an 8 pack unit sitting on a $3m site selling 325k...so you are buying part of site with your portion being 375k for 325k.....

Many different ways to skin a cat....unfortunately..too many people listen to people who been investing for 2 minutes.....some on here have only been investing for 1 cycle...but get high profile media exposure and voila they expert appears..:D

jimmy and Angel like this.
  2. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Is that meant to be an insult to me? Or you trying to have a go at me?

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nope not at all...just sayin....not at you....there are others who have said units in Brissie won't go up.

Have you said that? If not then why would it be you?

4. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Ah ok. Nah I just thought it was at me because you quoted my comment. Understand what your trying to say though.

5. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Land valuations are going up but unit values continue to have a downward trajectory.. Unless you own the whole complex, the land value is pointless.

As for excess supply being absorbed in 2018/19, there is already a backlog of sites that developers have stalled on and are waiting until demand improves.. There is no limit to developable sites on the CBD fringe. As other's have suggested, Brisbane units = CG suicide.

RetireRich101 and Sackie like this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

We'll see......time tells all........

7. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Don't do it ..... Too many other choices available .... Unless you are talking about 1 bedder in central Melbourne, then it is a different story ....

8. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Why would a 1 bedder in Mel be any different? It has the same (albeit slightly less worse) problem.

9. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Far more people moving down to Melbourne than Brisbane. Far more jobs as well. I am amazed that with the amount of high rises Melbrourne is building now, somehow they just get absorbed .....

Also Melbourne is better for AirBNBing as well .... So the yield would be pretty good.

Ideally OP should look for houses or at least villas/unit with land. But if I have to buy 1 bedroom apartment, I would choose Melbourne over Brisbane. Ideally Sydney is best but you cannot get a decent 1 bedder for 300K that is close enough to Sydney CBD ....

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I like your profile pic! I have to admit if it's a celebrity, I'm clueless. If its you... well... ;)

Tattler likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, you can buy almost anywhere and in 10 to 15 years you will have growth. That won't let you build a portfolio. If your Buy and hold person wanting to build a large portfolio then not only do you need growth but you need it asap, not in 10 years time.

Buy the best stock with the best chance for CG soonest.

nluo likes this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I agree with Sash on the land value component of the older six-packs, as we call them. You can drive around the 3-10 km ring and see some very boring units sitting high on the ridges with commanding views. Individual units in these blocks seem to be really cheap when they come on the market because they aren't fashionable. But .......

Single people have to live somewhere too.

13. T Macdonald

T Macdonald Member

That was part of my initial thinking... as single person households are the fastest growing part of the sector, Brisbane is projected to have significant population growth going forward (proportionally) and huge, strategic investment is occurring for infrastructure, stimulating economic growth, close proximity to asia and liveability etc etc... anyway... an interesting thread at last!

14. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_2017-07-07-15-23-36.png
    Unit prices down sharply in Brisbane year on year, and likely to continue.
    A well proportioned 2 bedroom unit in a small complex of 6-8 on a large block is a different story to buying in a complex/building of 20 plus units. I wouldn't even consider a 1 bedroom unit.
    You may be able to find a hidden gem at a great price and purchase without much competition. That's the main attraction but I would still buy a house, more likely to pick up some CG in the next 3-5 years.

Last edited: 7th Jul, 2017
    T Macdonald likes this.