VIC Thomson or Melton West?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Westie, 4th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Need your opinion guys, no crystal ball talk required. My BIL's looking to purchase an IP. Budget's no greater than $360k.

Option 1. House in Thomson. 2x1x1. Solid construction. Small house, large rectangular block. Next to no reno required. Minutes from Geelong's beaches. 5-7min walk to a primary school, TAFE etc

Option 2. House in Melton West. 4x2x2. Solid construction. Large house, very irregular corner block. Some cosmetic reno required - paint, carpet, shower, maybe some lighting too. 2-3min walk to primary and secondary schools, large leisure center, 3-5min drive to Woodgrove shopping center.

His criteria is good solid growth (he's aware of the recent boom etc etc) and easily rent-able house.

I think Option 2 would be easily rent-able for families given the amenities and 4 bedrooms whereas Option 1 would likely experience more growth over time. What do ya'll think? Thank you for your opinions.

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

possib
    is it possible to create one more room?

3. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Yeah thought of it, nope not possible.

4. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Out of those choices, definitely option 2. The days of buying a house in suburban Melb in the mid 300's are numbered. Melton is pretty much the only place you can do this now. It won't stay like that for long.
    Although having said that, your BIL shouldn't be expecting a massive boom either. We're currently at the tail end of a long growth period.

TMNT likes this.
  5. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Thanks mate. Yes he understands he's missed the boom.

6. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

I would select option 1 myself. Thomson is super close to Geelong CBD and presents excellent value compared to anywhere else a similar distance to Geelong CBD. And it’s on a better block too.

Reddy and Dave3214 like this.
  7. PresentNow

PresentNow Member

Option 2 is better with the amount of infrastructure being built in the area. It is only 35 minutes away from Melb CBD, 20 minutes away from the Airport. With new estates being built in Rockbank and Melton. New blocks of land around those areas costs $200k - $300k so new houses are going and already $400k +. You don't have the traffic gridlock situation as in point cook as there is only 1 exit, where as in Melton you have Western Fwy all the way through to Westgate Bridge with the new Westgate Tunnel being built, or you can go through towards the M8 way through Caroline Springs. You can also travel through to Geelong as well.

This gives more options for Renters as they can work locally or towards the City or even the airport.

Geelong on the other hand means you are only renting to people in the area, and a commute to the city is 1 plus hours.

8. MikeyBallarat

A commute to the city from Thomson is 3 minutes. It’s a commute to a secondary larger city that takes an hour ;)

Dave3214 and Joynz like this.
  9. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Thomson also has a nearby neighbor just a kilometre away that has houses in and around the $600K mark. If you stuck a pin in the middle of Geelong's CBD and drew a like three kilometres around, all the nearest suburbs like Geelong West, Drumcondra, South Geelong, East Geelong are very expensive. Whereas Thomson may still offer a glimmer of hope in the 300K's for a (old) house on a regular sized block.

Investor swoops at 27 Callander St, Thomson, three-bedroom brick house, wild weather, indoor auction pressure cooker, Maxwell Collins, Eugene Carroll

35 Winstanley Road, Thomson VIC 3219 - House For Sale | Domain

But certainly rent-wise the newer 4-2-2 in Melton will be easier to have occupied i guess. Depends on how long one wants to hold the property.

Reddy and MikeyBallarat like this.
  10. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

I would probably go for Thomson, based on the following reasons:
    1. Employment opportunities & proximity to CBD - Geelong's employment opportunity in CBD is improving day by day and Thomson being so close to Geelong CBD will be a very attractive option for people who work in Geelong CBD. As @G TOWN mentioned, it's a very short distance to commute to work. Whereas I think Melton people will have to commute to Melbourne CBD as the main source of employment hub, and that can take 30+ minutes.

2. Land scarcity - there's no more land at Thomson or surrounding burbs, whereas there are still plenty of land available to build around Melton West. So land scarcity-wise, Thomson has advantage. Over time it's land that increases in value, and having too much land available to build means it may take a while for land to increase in value.

Without knowing the specific details such as locations/photos of actual house condition it is quite difficult to make a call which one is better than the other as you almost have to assess it at the house vs house level, so I can only comment in a general sense. Though by the sounds of it both are pretty good options long term :)

Cheers,
    David

Westie, MikeyBallarat and Dave3214 like this.
  11. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Great info gents. Thank you. I believe the BIL's decided on Thomson.

Reddy and MikeyBallarat like this.
  12. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

He may also get a daily drive-by depending on the street from me when i deliver the papers!

Reddy, MikeyBallarat and Westie like this.
  13. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

So the BIL went to 35 Winstanley Rd, Thomson's auction today hoping to snap it up. It was quoted at $299k to $335. Ended up going for $412k, way over his budget. That's a whopping $77k or 23% over. The agency has been reported for underquoting.

I have had a similar experience with Buxton in the past, twice now.

14. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

From memory I've also experienced the same from them in the past. How come they keep getting away with it? I know in NSW there are laws now enforced with underquoting, is there nothing yet in VIC?

Cheers,
    David

Katie likes this.
  15. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Yeah we have laws, some agencies were fined:

upload_2018-6-23_21-40-53.png
    Only a matter of time before this mob gets the stick too. Such a huge waste of time this has been.

David Shih likes this.
  16. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Lived in Thomson for 20 years I have also tried with Buxton they under quote heaps of there listings to draw people in I looked at one in St Albans park listed $330.000 sold for $420.000.

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2018
    MikeyBallarat likes this.
  17. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

I actually rang up and what they are doing according to Consumer affairs is totally legal.

MoTown and Frank M like this.
  18. Frank M

Frank M Well-Known Member

Melton- is still good value, as you cant really buy anything in the west for under 500k, Melton didnt go anywhere for a decade then in 1 year a massive boom, i brought just before it took off in early 2017 3x2x2 320k now valued at 420k, that wont happen again for a very long time i presume

19. MikeyBallarat

As a general rule as a buyer Buxton are the worst to deal with.

hieund85 likes this.
  20. Mady

Mady Well-Known Member

Melton - Melbourne suburb will rise more long term.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF