This millennial reckons baby boomers have had it 'too easy"

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Eric Wu, 19th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think the single mother's pension should cover the first 3 children ... after that you're on your own. Would help if contraceptive wasn't so darned expensive.

How many "whoops" can you have - or is it simply an income source? - methinks the latter.

Note that she can afford the tatts

kierank and Francesco like this.
  3. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

that's the problem with our "society".

3 ???

first one is shame on me 2nd is shame on you !!

how much is a pack of condoms ?

Lindsay_W likes this.
  4. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I saw this on my Facebook feed. Disgusting! Whinging that the Baby Bonus ($8k) isn't enough. So, she's NOT a single parent, she's got a partner, but they choose to live apart to scam more money out of the government. There's another one with 11 kids & can't stop falling pregnant?? Hmm, you're supposed to be a SINGLE mother. How about you stop having sex, that would stop you falling pregnant, wouldn't it?

kierank, Toon and Lizzie like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

They wouldn't cut my tubes - said I was too young with five children. I would have gotten a second opinion. O hang on, I wouldn't be a single mother with five children.......

skater and kierank like this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Where were these people when brains were given out?

8. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

Marg I just wanted to say thank you for this post. We are similar and it’s been A long road to buy our first at 44/45. Thank you for giving me the hope of doing enough for a safe retirement

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. lifecompetitor

lifecompetitor Well-Known Member

G’day lucky duck!

All the best with your investment journey. I’ve spent weeks reading many of the old threads in the PC forum (I’m going to guess abit like you have been doing recently). I can tell!

Unlike you I wasn’t brave enough to revive the old threads but found some real gems in some of the comments. Hope you have too.

The most enthralling read for me so far was “in a dire situation - mining town collapse”.

Some real lessons and wonderful (well as good as it could be) outcome for the OP. That thread showed me what a supportive and wonderful community exists on PC. Have a read if you haven’t.

Marg4000 and The lucky duck like this.
  10. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

I’m a millennial and reckon this has got to be the easiest generation in history.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  11. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

The casualisation of the workforce isn't the best, but we have the best technology for so cheap.

The whole internet movies games in your pocket on a $100 smart phone.

55in flat screen smart tv's for like $300

Refrigeration/Freezer $300

Portable aircon $300

Access to credit is ridiculously easy, just look at all the P players getting around in brand new $50k utes.

The times are easy, the fiscal responsibility is what has been lost.

When millenials say "the boomers had it so easy", they were living in 3/1/1 houses with carports, supporting 4 kids on one wage and had a family camping trip once a year, all meals home cooked, very little take out, only to own their own home and be o n the pension at 60yo.
    The family car was the only car they had, not a new car every 5 years like people are want to do these days.

It really ***** me off the self entitlement of the younger generations these days.

1987, so also a Millenial, Gen Y is the descriptor I prefer.

Last edited: 19th Jan, 2020
    Traveller99, MWI, Francesco and 6 others like this.
  12. Omnidragon

Absolutely. Most basic and even discretionary goods are cheap and accessible. I had a friend complain to me the other day how she’s saddled in debt and wanted to borrow $30k while she promised she’ll change her habits. Anyway last week she showed me a new Marc Jacobs and Chloe crossover bag she bought for $2000.

Also there are so many investment opportunities due to digitisation and internet of things. How would the average 20 year old invest in shares in the 1900s? No chance.

I’m 85. Bit older than you. Everyday I think to myself how lucky our generation is. Good health care and technology, many people don’t even die from cancer these days. We travel at a whim, I probably flown 5 times this year albeit for investment opportunities. We enjoy such good food and it’s so cheap in Aus compared to most other developed economies (I use this word strictly and doesn’t include the likes of Spain). Most of us can probably do nothing and sit home and watch tv if we limited our discretionary spending

Work is like super easy - how nice is the new Aus culture. Throw people back into 1900s and they wouldn’t last 10 minutes.

Player, wilso8948, willair and 4 others like this.
  13. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

As a millenial i agree with alot of what you have said especially the fiscal discipline part, i see alot of p platers in ute's and most of them aren't even tradies or kids in brand new golf R's, mercs etc.

But the fact is things use to be made to last that doesnt seem to be the case anymore and im not just referring to cars, most new cars are very much made to a budget with lots of plastic bits and extremely difficult to work on for the average layman which wasnt that case back in the early days.

While i am fairly optimistic about the future i do feel the quality of life we experience here may be degraded with the increased cost of living, low wage growth and while i have nothing against immigration it needs to be done right not just dump all new comers into our major cities.

People just need to do more with less as our resources are finite, i only replace things when they break my ear buds are going on 8 years now and my TV is 7.

Maybe the potential near downturn will instill a sense of financial responsibility in younger people but i very much doubt that.

2FAST4U and Marg4000 like this.
  14. Omnidragon

How could quality of life be degrading when you can fly to HK for $350, and 4K TVs are as cheap as $1k when old VCRs used to cost that much?

skater and Someguy like this.
  15. Archaon

I agree with most of what you've said, the cost of living is debatable though, we pay less tax on our income than America/Canada/Denmark etc.

I will need to look up the disposable income stats for Australia, but disposable income increases demand, and puts a strain on supply which increases prices.

Due to a recent study, Australia is the wealthiest country per capita, at about 190k net wealth on average.

16. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Im old enough that i remember VCRs costing alot haha.

Don't get me wrong i still consider us the lucky country especially where financial wealth is concerned, we earn too much for the amount of work we do.

But it seems especially the younger generation dont appreciate what they have and they just keep wanting more, better and newer.

At least for me items such as TV's and mobile phones while great have contributed to some of the failings of our younger generation, people see influencers, celebrities, rappers and think they need to spend 2k on a handbag or 10k on a watch with the credit card.

Someguy likes this.
  17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Our first VCR cost $1,200.
    Basic record or play - thank goodness we didn’t choose the quickly obsolete BETA system!

# 1 likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Don't be ****** off. They will pay a very hefty price for their decisions. I see it already in many.

kierank likes this.
  19. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

I thought you were Deltaberry from SS? The Asian dude in his late 20s that worked as a lawyer.. hmm maybe not.

20. Archaon

Until they all start voting for communist policy.