This is what is wrong with our parliament

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 28th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

'You're not fit to call yourselves men': Hanson-Young slams Senators

Quick summary:
    • LNP O'Sullivan (old white man) made derogatory sexist remarks to Hanson-Young (young female)
    • Greens DiNatale stood up and called O'Sullivan a "pig" for his comments
    • DiNatale is called upon to apologise to O'Sullivan ... note ... O'Sullivan is NOT called upon to apologise to Hanson-Young
    • Di Natale refuses
    • LNP move to toss DiNatale from the House and Labor supported it - DiNatale suspended - O'Sullivan sits smugly in his seat having his nasty rhetoric reinforced
    • Hanson-Young feels betrayed by her workplace
    No wonder Julia Banks resigned yesterday

spludgey, marty998, Kassy and 5 others like this.
  2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I take offense at that - it is ageist ("old") and racist ("white") - I am both!

IMO she is a very well balanced individual - she has a chip on both shoulders! :p

oddshapes, Archaon, RS Gumby and 8 others like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Parliament is the most biased workplace which would not be tolerated anywhere in private enterprise or elsewhere within the public sector.

It's out of touch with the rest of society and resists change at every turn.

datto, Redwing, Simon Hampel and 5 others like this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Same here. I am white and getting older (now heading towards 63 :eek:)

RS Gumby and Propertunity like this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've already past that and fast heading away.

I'm white too, but as many of you will know, my wife is a migrant. And supports the current system of government, and has contributed strongly to her adopted country.

Her nationality is much better accepted here than in some other western nations. Well, one in particular.

See Change, Propertunity and kierank like this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Makes me sick when I read this about Men in general,plus I meet a Asian Lady on a plane over 30 years ago married and have several daughters and we have been a very good team ,and that was during the Rise of Pauline Hanson when we first were married people would abuse my wife in supermarket's tell her to ###k off back to where you came from and a few times would end up in a punch-up in the car park with their blood on the ground..Plus the only good part about being a former Red Head is your hair turns white when you just above 63..It's about time Men stand up and be counted as individuals and let all the hate go back to reality..

Propertunity and dabbler like this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

White and 58. Still a young fella. Thank goodness for asian immigrants - I love asian food:). Worked with many of them over the years all lovely people. Found the men a bit more serious but the women loved to have fun and a good laugh.

I’m not concerned about migrants as long as they have a desire to contribute to society and are not out to kill me:eek:.

Archaon, RS Gumby, Francesco and 4 others like this.
  8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What is wrong - is it the name calling or the fact that someone wasn't asked to apologise?

dabbler likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The name calling ... but mainly ... the fact that a sexist pig that made public derogatory comments to his female work colleague and was "defended" by those around him - while another male who stood up to the pig on behalf of the woman was punished for calling him out.

That act only reinforces that it's "okay" to abuse and demean

luckyone, See Change, Kassy and 5 others like this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself:

"Parliamentary privilege used as a thin veil for sexual harassment yet again"

Kassy, Scobie and Joynz like this.
  11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

What is wrong ?

Lack of a thick skin.

And heaven help us if we all have to go to war, maybe we can tell them how politically and socially incorrect everything is and get them to desist.

12. Terry_w

Best to just be ignore this sort of news

13. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

What exactly did O’Sullivan say? This is not reported.

14. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I understood that BOS 'withdrew' his comments and that's why he wasn't ejected from parliament. RDN would not withdraw his, that's why he was booted out.

BOS made a crude comment not worthy of repeating.

Lizzie likes this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It's got nothing to do with hating men. It's to do with respect.

Senator O'Sullivan said Senator Hanson-Young had "a bit of [Nick] Xenophon in her — and I don't mean that to be a double reference".

He withdrew the remark, which is why he didn't get censured , but later withdrew his withdrawal, which is why it's still on the record

Di Natale called him a pig. If he had said something like "that's a vile and horrible remark" that may have been ok. It's the name calling which got him into trouble.

There was a lack of respect on both sides. But the treatment of women in parliament has either become worse, or has come out into the open more.

Kassy and Lizzie like this.
  16. Terry_w

Why is this about women v men. Don't men say things about other men and women about other women?

dabbler likes this.
  17. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I find this whole thread a bit of generalisation and particularly offending. Not all men are pigs and not all women are angels. There is plenty of seedy people regardless of gender, colour or sexuality.

Old times when someone done something like that you either return the favour or grow thick skin, ignore and move on.

These days everyone is offended about everything. This stuff is becoming exhausting. It’s turning into, look at me, I need some attention because I’m special.

And before anyone pulls the privilege card. I’ve been abused on a wide range of aspects. Never made headlines. Still turned out pretty ok.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Agreed - I know far more wonderful men than those that are unpleasant - but wow - lot of "off topic" generalisations about women being men haters and growing a thick skin.

This thread was about a particular incident - done in public, in his place of employment, in front of other employees, by an elected "leader" who is supposed to represent us in a job that makes important, and ongoing, decisions for us all - men and women. He was rewarded for his abuse - whereas a decent man, who stood up against the abuse was punished.

And, yes, it has gone on for generations by someone who has power over someone who is perceived to have less power but doesn't make it right. Has never made it right. I guess a lot think it was okay for Foley to stick his hand down a journalists pants and then treat it like a joke. Slavery went on for thousands of years - didn't make that right either.

Finally the subjects of such abuse are pushing back and it's not liked by the perpetrators.

Last edited: 28th Nov, 2018
    Gockie, Kassy, qak and 6 others like this.
  19. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think I'll pay my BAS tomorrow. The government doesn't deserve to be paid today.

Blacky and Lizzie like this.
  20. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

No heart emoji in this forum! I heart this :D

Lizzie likes this.