This Housing Downturn is Over

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Redom, 23rd May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Great analysis. Would be good for some of this positive sentiment to continue flowing up North to my mates in Brisbane.

Toon, Angel, Codie and 1 other person like this.
  2. BoatArrival

BoatArrival Well-Known Member

12 Carlotta Ave, Gordon, NSW 2072

This one was sold for 1.2, sure slope is steep but land size ~ 1700 sqm and it's less than 1km from Gordon station.

Could you show me anything, and I mean anything >800sqm in Gordon selling for less than 1.3 prior to May 2019 ?

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Anyone notice the doom and gloomers running a little more silent these days? Quite a few had a sinister Schadenfreude persona as well.

Thanks RBA/APRA. Love your work.

Illusivedreams likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

They've been replaced with the angry, entitled newbies wanting a free sandwich outta life.

Don't know which ones worse.

Illusivedreams and kierank like this.
  5. Timb89

Timb89 Well-Known Member

Calls people entitled. But also supports the government subsidising losses at the cost of savers. The lack of self awareness is amazing.

Last edited: 22nd Aug, 2019
    Oliver Shane likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

7. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Shh the sky is falling mate, nothing to see up here.. If you can just hold off on this growth until I buy a few more please. it’s quite possibly the best buying opportunity that brisbane’s had for a longtime & I’m going balls to the wall.

If only people educated themselves on wealth creation and looked at the bigger picture with a long term view, Instead of trying to figure out the exact time when one entire city presents a “good time to buy” - how longs a piece of string

wilso8948, kierank and Sackie like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Nah their too busy whining over the evils of negative gearing . And this is after Australia just voted with a loud voice they wanted Libs BACK in power, with evil NG and all the bells and whistles.

Thank goodness the average Aussie has more sense than some of these young gun glass half empty folks.:rolleyes:

9. trendsta

trendsta Well-Known Member

Not a bad find

Sold 17 July. So typical 6 week settlement means deal was done early June.

Given it's a investor special or home buyer with deep pockets it would likely had delayed settlement , so deal was prob done April-June.

My point exactly - find one ON THE MARKET FOR SALE now.

10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

No, no, no.

Gotta buy in Sydney. That is the only place in Australia I am gonna buy because that is where I live :D.

Give me a break, please.

Sackie likes this.
  11. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Most property investors are normal mums & dads, nurses, firemen, builders etc. the majority own 1-2. A tiny % own past that. Everyday Australians trying to set themselves up so they don’t cost the govt more millions at retirement.

Negative gearing actually favours the tenant and subsidies YOUR rent. If labour got in, you can bet your rent would be going up to cover losses. It’s not my problem to carry you?

Its providing housing, at a cost. Why shouldn’t any losses be offset so you don’t get taxed on money you didn’t actually make?

Modeling has been done on what it would cost the govt to have to supply housing vs what it costs them in negatively gearing benefits, not to mention how much tax the govt then makes off you once properties turn cash positive. It’s only a moment in time to help you hold it. The govt comes out the other end better off by a long shot.

I’m afraid you really don’t know what your talking about.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No, no, gotta buy in Bondi only! Everyone knows sackie only wants you to buy in Bondi and lose your pants :D

Ok fine....north Bondi will also be acceptable to me :p

kierank likes this.
  13. kierank

C’mon Timmy, let the moths out of your wallet, buy a property in Australia (outside Sydney if it has to be), NG it, and join the dark side ...

I bet you will love it.

Codie and wombat777 like this.
  14. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Property is taxed to within an inch of death.
    Obviously you don't own property investments otherwise you would not be commenting inline to suggest propert subsidized.

Talk about lack of self awareness.

Tell a young family buying a median house in Sydney that a $40,000 stamp duty Tax is not a crippling tax.

Or how about a investor with a few houses I Sydney paying exponential land tax every single year. Year after year to subsidise many if the state's schemes we all enjoy.

Talk about having a one sided view. Look in the mirror my friend.

Plenty of my friends entering property were shocked what it meant becoming a property owner.

3rd Drop, Francesco, Toon and 3 others like this.
  15. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

But your not mate.
    Your arguing with every single person on here that combined has about 1,000 years experience on you. If you were educating yourself you would actually listen to some of them.

I’m not suggesting to rollover on some points of view but we are 76 pages in and for 50 of those it’s you going on about why we are all doomed and property is the worst investment possible. 30+ people on here have been around many cycles and all likely argued in those cycles with pessimists saying “you got lucky due to XYZ”. Same same but different every bloody cycle.

If after 50 pages of posts your still arguing then I seriously don’t know what your doing here? Surely there is a forum dedicated to keeping money under mattresses?

Last edited: 23rd Aug, 2019
  16. kierank

Hear! Hear!!
    @albanga, I always read your post as I find them informative, succinct and to-the-point.

This one gets my vote for your “best post ever”.
    One can only hope so.

albanga likes this.
  17. frankjeager

frankjeager Well-Known Member

i recommend r/ausfinance

18. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

There'll always be a reason not to invest. If you only want to focus on those then stick to passing GO every turn, collect your $200 and hope you make it around the board again.

frankjeager and kierank like this.
  19. Woodjda

Woodjda Well-Known Member

Haha. This is one of the most laughably ignorant economic statements I've ever seen. Landlords charge as much as the market will let them for rent. The idea that they could just up their prices without a rise in demand is complete nonsense. If they could they'd be doing it now. Have you ever seen a landlord say "well I could've got $500 a week rent but because of negative gearing I'm going to settle for $350 a week rent"? Of course not.

Timb89, Jezzah and Tony3008 like this.
  20. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

Wasn't it just Qld that voted the libs In?