This Housing Downturn is Over 2020

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Harris, 9th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Human

Human Active Member

Mass unemployment just started. Global IT company i work for has all contractors gone this week & our hours also reduced. One medium size Australian company i know has 20 staff sacked (not hold) from Sydney office & over 70 staff nationally just this week only. Same company, more sacking is coming next week especially sales executives. Friends running small businesses (one man to 20-30 employees) losing most of them. GFC2.0

gman65 likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I guess this pandemic will be used as an excuse for some companies who were not doing well anyway, to gain access to funds and/or sack employees under the guise of the pandemic?

Who's looking at the books of those getting access to government help?

gman65 and JASA like this.
  3. Human

Human Active Member

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My aunty has been stood down at Qantas.

Guess it was not too unexpected given the business though.

5. Ummm

Ummm Well-Known Member

United Kingdom (temp)- previously Brisbane QLD
    Over 20% of housing stock has changed hands in the last 4yrs. Not all of this will have debt attached but still a significant amount. Interesting to see how this pans out, very difficult to predict, although safe to say it's going to make a dent! 3months ago I wasn't happy with my cash ratio but saw too much risk in the markets. As circumstances have turned out there may be some opportunities come up. Still very cognisant of holding cash when they have the printing presses running...not keen on getting left behind!

https://www.rba.gov.au/publications/bulletin/2010/jun/1.html
    Fact file: 9 million homes with 2.6 occupants - this is the Australian housing market - ABC News

6. Wattle

Wattle Active Member

My biggest concern with what is happening now is within what you mention. Interest rates are not being used as a measure of risk. Governments propping up lending by artificially holding down rates is going to be dangerous and cause more systemic issues in the long run, I guess this is where due diligence and consideration by lenders come in. Let’s hope they are not overly pressured to give out loans - otherwise you may as well make them government owned.
    Banks have not traditionally been sophisticated enough, had enough data or perhaps used the data they have to apply granular risk based pricing to their retail book. It’s also perhaps a cost benefit thing but in the future with better data analytics I don’t see why they shouldn’t?

7. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

GFC 2.0 is an understatement.

This time around, there is no Mining Boom or Property Boom to save Australia.

The 21st Century Great Australian Depression is a more fitting description.

8. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Low rates will help I guess , but in the end - cash flow is KING , yet again .

9. Mr Burns

Mr Burns Well-Known Member

Theres government stimulus to fix it.

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 22nd Jan, 2021
    Redom and Sackie like this.