This forum will go quiet in 3, 2, 1...

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by spludgey, 4th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Over the past two years we've had a lot of new members on this forum that were looking to get into the market, but given the interest rate increase and the outlook, I'm expecting this to largely stop. So I think we're in for a couple of quiet years.

I always like to see @Simon Hampel's statistics on this. What would be even better (if you're taking requests) is member activity versus median house prices.

Anyway, whether it's quiet or busy, I'll be here, enjoying this fantastic forum and making posts of questionable value (such as this one).

craigc, lost nomad, Danny370z and 3 others like this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Not for Perth :) Outlook is good here.

When states start to plateau or correct the tone may change to more talk about (i) reviewing loans to get a better deal (ii) what value adds can I do to increase yield and hopefully not a lot of (iii) when is it time to get rid of this millstone around my neck.

I'm expecting more of "what other markets should I be looking at to diversify from the NSW etc market" which has been happening for awhile though due to people being priced out of their own state market for IPs.

PeterCr, Propin, Danny370z and 3 others like this.
  3. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I actually pretty much left the forum over the last couple years - too busy at work :)

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

... and yet here you are, posting again! :p

Is work really more important than investing? :cool::D

Travelbug and ozhiker like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We are going to see double digit figures for Perth in 2022. We had this in 2021, many should have jumped in. Not too late yet

6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'm still contributing.

7. Simon Hampel

I'm not.

Having taken over the running of Somersoft in 2002 (20 years ago this September!), we've been through a few downturns in the market.

Yes, I would expect the number of new members and the post volume to slow somewhat - but not to stop. There's always people buying and selling real estate, and there's always new members who already have property but need help with management or other aspects of their investing.

What we will see is a change in the discussion - it's been a long time since cashflow was the prime topic of conversation, and if rents rise as much as some people predict - then we will definitely see a greater focus on that.

TheRons, Rugrat, Paul@PAS and 4 others like this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Are you though? :p

craigc, Joynz, Biggbird and 3 others like this.
  9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

From the broker perspective, I expect the next 6-12 months being very busy. Interest rate rises always generate concern in consumers. The phone has already been ringing with people wondering what to do.

We haven't had a rate rise for over 11 years. About one third of borrowers have never experienced increasing rates. I think we're in for some pain, but in the long run this is a good thing. Most people will adapt.

craigc and AndyPandy like this.
  10. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Not when you get a message that says - this isn't adding value to the topic.

craigc and datto like this.
  11. SuperOlaf

SuperOlaf Well-Known Member

Don't forget the permabears will come out of the woodworks! You can already see some of them back and contributing again :p

craigc, spludgey and Sackie like this.
  12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Every post adds to the search indexes. Drives more traffic, sells more advertising, Simon makes money. :D

*** Probably only a fraction of a cent, but it adds up ***

And when it all becomes too much, we know who to go to for chemical therapies.

craigc and datto like this.
  13. Simon Hampel

There are certain topics and keywords which will actually get you (or at best, a specific page) delisted from the search engines - so the fact that we have to actively moderate some of these off topic comments just adds to my workload and certainly does not add value.

The incremental value of off topic posts on questionable topics would be infinitely less than the cost of the extra moderation work generated for me.

TheRons and Peter_Tersteeg like this.
  14. Simon Hampel

shhhh - don't encourage them

craigc likes this.
  15. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Talk will shift to "just how far will XXX fall", and there will be no endless "XXX is booming" threads :p

"Adding value" will probably become the new flavour of the month(s), in order to extract as much income/rent out of tenants and claw back some of the interest rate hits, and rising costs.

There will be more posts about the falling economy in general ;) and all sorts of finger pointing.

People will be busy shifting things around behind the scenes though in preparation for the next rise, just more quietly I imagine. You'll hear about it several months later though when they tell you it was "so obvious" whatever was to happen, actually happened.

16. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

No! there will be a Post a Bargain thread on all cities and regionals. Bargain hunters with ca$h will prevail. It was the case a few years ago for Perth... Are we ready?? :D

17. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Haha yeah - had been living vicariously through my clients property purchases..

But hadn't done much since did Modbury reno/flip just before covid.

Now selling 3 houses, buying new with full renovation - fun times!

ozhiker, Simon Hampel and Sackie like this.
  18. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

It's a great time to buy! I've got liquidity and looking out for bargains now!

ozhiker likes this.
  19. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Maybe actually start to pay a few professional moderators to take some of the workload from you. Run it like a business and leverage the time/skills of others. I've noticed some of the bigger forums are now paying moderators. You're often logged into this site, it must take a lot of your time and create some stress

20. Simon Hampel

But that's kind of the point. Whether it's me doing the work or a moderator I pay - there is a cost to managing these off topic and questionable posts.

So other comments suggesting that all posts add value is not seeing the full picture of how things actually work.