QLD Thinking of investing in a duplex in Park Ridge

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Vishhhhh89, 19th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vishhhhh89

Vishhhhh89 Member

I am getting a very competitive price for a duplex in park ridge through a builder (around 550k+) for a 530 sqm 30m frontage block in park ridge. I would like to know from some experts in the area whether it sounds like a good option from :
    1. rental yield
    2. longterm capital growth

I have done a lot of research, and the numbers do add up for me, but I still am just very confused as its my first property.

Points to note:
    1. I am not planning to sell the property anytime soon, probably never. Just looking for capital growth from an equity perspective for better servicability over time.
    2. From my research, the rental market looks like its in strong demand right now (as per rental agents), who even provided me an appraisal (upto 680pw - making this positively geared from dayone) and showed me some evidence of how quickly the properties in park ridge are being rented out.
    3. I can see evidence from logan council that there is a lot of development planned for the next few years,

craigc and Rich2011 like this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Just about everywhere in Australia has strong rental demand at this time. What do you know about Park Ridge under normal circumstances?

Rich2011 likes this.
  3. Vishhhhh89

Vishhhhh89 Member

nothing, and thats freaking me out. As an investment property, I have looked at the data that suggests growth, I can see that supply is less, demand is more, was recommended for these suburbs by a lot of property fund groups too (but havent gone ahead with them). But yeah, to answer your question, i havent visited the suburb or spoken to anyone who doesnt have a bias or conflict of interest in giving me advice. Hence asking here.

Rich2011 likes this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

5. Vishhhhh89

Vishhhhh89 Member

Thanks I have already checked each and every post, and done my due diligence, how much ever I could. I just wanted to know from someone, that a 560k~ price is good for a 530 sqm lot + a 210sqm duplex built area. (3+2 bed)

Rich2011 likes this.
  6. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

no opinion - but wasn't there a member of this forum that was really 'passionate' about park ridge? Cant remember his/her name

Rich2011 likes this.
  7. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

210m2 for duplex?
    Is it a duplex or dual key/granny flat/ aux unit?

Rich2011 likes this.
  8. Vishhhhh89

Vishhhhh89 Member

Sorry i just rechecked , its dual key. I got confused between 2 different options they sent.

Rich2011 likes this.
  9. Brad England

Brad England Well-Known Member

I was also in market for a dual key/ duplex property. My research shows the capital growth is very less compared to a stand alone house. The general feedback I get is for few hundred dollars of rental yield why are you losing on thousands of capital gain from a house ?

Clean Cookie and Rich2011 like this.
  10. Vishhhhh89

Vishhhhh89 Member

I agree with you , and I am sort of confused, on the capital growth part. The government data suggests strong growth in the next 3-5 years. Also, there is a already a shortage of supply on houses in park ridge area (Especially ones with bigger landsize).
    why do you think a dual occ/ duplex may have less capital growth as compared to a stand alone house ?

11. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Also, there is a already a shortage of supply on houses in park ridge area (Especially ones with bigger landsize).

No shortage of them on smaller land size!!!

Government data might be suggesting population growth which does not necessarily equal capital growth.

12. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

dual occ/ duplex is not usually in demand with OO. OO are driving the prices in Qld as a rule of thumb.

Vishhhhh89 and Rich2011 like this.
  13. Sujay_Gulwadi

Sujay_Gulwadi Active Member

I did a very similar project in late 2019 and I am very happy with the result outcome. I would strongly recommend Park Ridge dual occupancy as an investment. I have done dual occupancies in several other suburbs too.

14. mytwocents

mytwocents Well-Known Member

Park Ridge is a great entry into investment but better to do standalone. Brisbane and Melbourne are generating these cookie cutter properties (30km out) at a price point that is doable.

migration will see CG with melbourne leading the charge when borders open internationally. Brisbane is enticing with sunshine but job growth for these migrants again is in melbourne.

15. Sujay_Gulwadi

Stand alone house in Park Ridge is unlikely to be positively geared.

16. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Buy a standalone house anywhere in Logan. Park Ridge is right next to Crestmead, Marsden, Regents Park, Boronia Heights.

ALL of those suburbs for $550k can still get you a free standing house in decent land. These places are flying with prices increasing faster than anyone could dream but if you enter now (Like in the next month or so) you can still catch the wave and get immediate capital growth if you buy the right property.

10000x better than buying a duplex.

17. Sujay_Gulwadi

I avoided buying a free standing house in Park Ridge in 2019 and went for a dual occupancy. It worked out very well for me so I would define my avoid a free standing house in that Logan area in future.

18. thunderstrike888

Opportunity cost. You might have done well because everything is doing quite well now but opportunity cost that you lost buying a duplex instead of a house you will never know.

Even though you've done well (which is excellent making money is always better than losing money) but you would have done better buying free standing. I'm seeing places that would have sold for $270k selling for over $450k now. Almost double their prices since 2017 for free standing homes.

Many parts of Logan are already well into the $600k-$700k range for free standing homes. Some nearly $800k.

19. Sujay_Gulwadi

i don’t agree. The dual occupancy generally outperform free standing homes in most suburbs and definitely Park Ridge Logan area.

20. thunderstrike888

LOL - OK.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF