Thinking of buying No 2

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Ryan23, 2nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

I currently have my PPRO that will soon be an investment property as I move with work. I am looking at buying my second property that will also be an investment.

I earn about 80,000 before tax and take home about 4400 per month and have about 1000 in expense per month

Current property is about 315000 - 320000 and I currently have 255,000 owing (about 80%) and pay just under 1000 per month I/O.

I am thinking of purchasing a second property that is worth up to about 300,000 and will rent for about 300 per week.

My current property will also rent for about 300 per week.

Ideally I would like to pull out 30,000 from the first property that will bring it up to 90% (already payed LMI with it) and then purchase the second property at 90% and chip in cash for stamp duty ect if needed.

I know lending is a lot tighter now however will lenders still consider another I/0 loan at 90% and let me access the limited amount of equity I have? I am currently with one of the big 4.

I have done calculations and can service based on some online borrowing capacity calculators however I'm sure there are some catches.

On I side note, I am currently in North Queensland, want has been the experiences with using mortgage brokers who live in another city?

Thank you

Ryan

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi Ryan,

You'll be struggling to get IO lending over 80% these days unfortunately. Depending on how strong your servicing is and the lender you're with, you may also struggle getting cash out to 90%. Big 4 is good though, you may be in luck.

All in all it may be possible if you're happy to pay P&I on both properties.

3. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

Not sure about the banks, but what about from a personal POV? Would you be comfortable with the following approximate figures?

Total loan = 510-520k

Total Salary = +4,400 a month
    2nd IP rent = +1,300 a month
    Total earnings = 5,700 a month

Repayment = -2,500 a month
    Current expenses = -1000 a month
    Total expenses = -3,500 a month

That leaves you with a positive cash flow of 2,200 a month before new expenses.

New yearly costs based on a 300k IP I have
    BC = 2,600
    Rates 1,800
    Water 1,300
    Insurance 300
    smoke alarm 100
    repairs 2,500
    PM costs 1,000

Total costs for new IP = 9,600 / 12 = 800 a month

So your total positive cash flow is about 1,400 a month.

Things to think about...
    loss of job
    interest rates hike(s)
    personal injury
    the fact that the bank would be taking so much of your money in interest payments...

Invest_noob likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Save yourself time and energy and go see a good mortgage broker and work out all your options with them. No matter what you work out on the on line calculations, some MB have discretion with certain things. Just go see a good one.

5. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

Hi Jess,

Thanks for your reply, thats what I was somewhat affriad of as I much prefer the I/O and offset combination.

Cheers
    Ryan

6. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response, the cashflow is something that would be a big part of my decision and how I move forward. My monthly cashflow being conservative and taking everthing into account with P&I payments would be about 500.. which i wouldnt be to comfortable with.

7. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

Definitely the way to go I think, im just the type of person who likes to work everthing out myself first lol

ganna likes this.
  8. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

You may be able to do what your seeking - will need to meet lender policy re equity release. Likely best way to present it is to do an equity pull + pre approval for purchase at the same time, thereby giving the lender more comfort as to what you plan on doing with funds at a high LVR.

Best to plan for a P&I set up, as it'll be forced with the mainstreams. Being MEDICO and with specific big4 one of the only ways around. You may want to budget that into your cash flow projections, as the P&I set up may mean an impact on living (likely to be c/f negative).

Ryan23 likes this.
  9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Yes me too, but these days it's a case of working with what's on offer. You'll find that with the difference in IO v P&I rates, it may not be as big a hit as you anticipate.

10. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

I guess we just have to work with what the banks offer at this time. Thanks for the input :)

Jess Peletier likes this.