Things you remember about finance in your childhood

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by EN710, 18th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

My parents both grew up poor, with especially my father's family always struggling for money (his sister still is). So they vowed to never live like that. This meant living within their means, so until the age of 2, I lived in a tiny 1 1/2 bedroom apartment with my parents and my older sister.
    After my dad got a good job (he has a PhD in Chemistry, we were living in the small apartment because that's where he went to uni previously) we moved to a one family, two story house and my parents rented out the ground floor to a single mother (this was in Europe and it was legal). The house we moved into was a bit of a dump, but my parents renovated it all.
    Then, when I was 8, my dad got another job offer and we had to move, so my parents bought our first house all to ourselves. Again run down, but a beautiful house which turned out great after being renovated.

The apparent caution that my parents used when it came to spending money definitely had an impact on me and I tried to do the same. So every birthday and christmas when I would get money, I would save it and only if I really wanted something I'd buy it.

EN710 likes this.
  2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

My first job was a year spent as a 16-17 year old making cane furniture - basically doing the corner binding. Mostly just me, by myself in a shed that was freezing in winter.

Hands cracked from the cleaning solvent and being in and out of cold water all day. At the end of that year, I couldn't straighten my fingers out!

I had skipped the last year of school to save money for uni. Ironically, since no one in my family had been to uni, or had any tertiary education, I didn't know that you got a living allowance from the government!

Last edited: 24th May, 2016
    EN710 likes this.
  3. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Dollarmite accounts still exist and you can still get the tins shaped like the martin place branch ( just got the 6month olds a few weeks ago).

EN710 likes this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.