Theft under landlord insurance???

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by SydneyInvestor, 19th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Hey All,

This morning only my Property Manager emailed me to convey that someone tried to break in my investment property and Petrie police has been enquiring about it. This is the first time I am in this situation. Could someone please help and let me know if I need to take any steps about it by lodging a separate police complaint or any other far distant thing which I am not able to think of.
    Also, would landlord insurance pay for the damage to windows and anything else caused by the theft. PM will send me the details and quote for it. Is it hard to tackle with the insurance companies or is the process smooth?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Sounds as if the police are already involved. Would not hurt to talk to them and ensure the incident has been correctly documented. You will need a report number and possibly the name if the police officer who makes out the report.

With a police report the insurance should pay - but check that the damage is not less than any excess. As always, everything will hinge on the policy wording and what actually happened, I.e., did someone try to break in or was it vandalism? Was the property occupied at the time? If vacant, how long had it been vacant for? Your PM should be able to give you written details.

The better your paperwork the quicker any claim should be decided.
    Marg

SydneyInvestor likes this.
  3. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member