Theee houses in one very large block?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by wylie, 27th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

A friend is wanting to sell in Mansfield and buy acreage in Thornlands, Wakerley, Redland Bay Area.

The plan is to buy a house on a large block (couple of acres minimum) hopefully with a house already built.

They then want to add a granny flat for her parents.

The question I have is whether she would get approval for a second and possibly third house in such Brisbane areas.

Her married daughter would like to build and another daughter may also do this down the track.

If not possible to have family in separate houses on one very large block in these areas, I wonder if they could split the blocks to allow this plan and (likely cost).

She will be making some calls but I thought someone may know the answer.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Check out rules in Redlands.
    Not sure exactly where the border is, but the suburbs you mention are definitely in Redlands Shire.
    They may be more relaxed than BCC.
    Marg

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

A house plus granny flat might be possible but they would need to check the zoning/density to subdivide with council and most acreage areas have such low density that they are already at minimum size. In my area the minimum block size is 10 acres.

On very large acreage (50 acres plus) it's more common to have more than one house as often workers live on site.

On an additional note it might be hard to get bank lending for the construction of anything beyond the GF.

4. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

There are quite a few homes of this nature around my neck of the woods, in Brisbane city council (Chandler, Gumdale, Burbank). Plenty have two homes on the one block, typically 2.5-5acres. I think a lot of the time they retain the older original home and build a nice new larger house. Must fall under a different category than Granny Flat, perhaps Secondary Dwelling? Guest House?

I Can’t think of ever seeing any with three, in this case I think families tend to go for the sprawling house with multiple separate wings. Or two homes plus a large “shed” fitted out for habitation.

Also very few acreages left in Wakerley, mostly is now zoned normal residential.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Thanks all. I suggested that if she can't get more than main house and granny flat (which would house an actual granny and grandpa), then they could build one big house with pavilions and walkways between them.

@Blueskies those areas are of great interest to them but I couldn't think of the correct suburbs. They are keen on that area and I know they are looking.

Her married daughter wants animals, pets and children on a big block but still able to get to work without taking a cut lunch, and this style of "all together but a little bit separated" would suit them.