House & Home The Vege Garden Thread

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TadhgMor, 3rd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

PS: Any thing flower and fruit generally love Potash, you get better yield and nicer flower if you fertilize it with this stuff.

and if you want your tomatoes going crazy and has more fruit than you can eat mix with this stuff when you water every 2 weeks

Manutec 1kg Epsom Salt

apk and Chris Au like this.
  2. apk

apk Well-Known Member

Great thread guys.

Cabbage and Cauli
    IMG_20170915_103046.jpg
    Garlic
    IMG_20170915_103119.jpg
    Broadbeans IMG_20170915_103139.jpg
    Beetroot
    IMG_20170915_103201.jpg
    Snowpeas
    IMG_20170915_103223.jpg
    I am waiting for beans and silverbeet to shoot, don't think its going to happen anytime soon due to Melbourne winter ;)

3. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness - I have tomatoes! This little batch are hiding at the back of the plant.

[​IMG]

The 2 plants are going nuts. I'm going to have to reinforce the truss thing I have as it's bending under the weight of just the plants alone. Can't use bamboo or wooden stakes as I have a 4 legged furry pest who likes to pull out the stakes and chew on them. The plants are collateral damage.

ramblin72, TadhgMor, Phantom and 6 others like this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Saw today that Bunnings has 'White's’ heavy duty plastic-covered metal stake tomato 'cages'. 1.6m high for about $10. Larger version is $19.00 I think.

Comes unassembled and you could put the stakes in first and then thread through the stake 'connectors' even after the plant has grown, I think.

Last edited: 16th Sep, 2017
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

My wife as usual can't leave Bunnings without buying something for the fruit / vege gardens.

After just having cleaned out our strawberry path and reduced its size she comes home with two new varieties of strawberries. We like to grow unusual stuff. One strawberry plant produces white fruit with a strawberry / pineapple flavour. The other variety produces fruit and flavour like a strawberry / Rasberry cross.

6. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

I have those white strawberries too, unfortunately blackbirds got them last summer before we were able to harvest; this year I've put bird-netting above them so hopefully they'll survive.

Nodrog likes this.
  7. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

When I realized I could buy my entire seasons vege crop for about 5 euro from the verduraria downstairs I didn't bother anymore. The only things I grow now are different types of chillies, trees, flowers and the occasional "pot" plant (legal here).

Nodrog likes this.
  8. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Thanks Joy, will have to have a look next time I'm in bunnings.

9. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

10. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I don't even have a garden bed!

This is the plants in question:
    [​IMG]

I really hope I have the determinate type.... I spun the pot around and tied the trellis onto the back fence to stop it from falling over but I'm going to have to come up with a better solution. Perhaps some kind of external cage of sorts.

11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Phew, some work in the garden today setting up a 9 metre long by 1.8 metre high trellis for tomatoes and climbing vegetables. We used 1.8m star pickets and 6m x 2.4m concrete Reo mesh we cut to size. The wife is a very happy person to finally have a strong trellis setup. I'm in the good books for a change today. A curved garden on a slope to match existing rock retaining wall always presents challenges. This garden is supposed to be temporary until the planned beds are set up down the back. But it will also remain as a permanent bed now for produce picked frequently as it is close to the house. Here a few photos:
    IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

Last edited: 19th Sep, 2017
  12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

@Kinnon Bell I'm not sure why you chose tomatoes, you should have chosen "bell" peppers.

13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Latest harvest.

From this single home made wicking drum (well half drum):
    IMG_0433.JPG

Came this pile of ginger:
    IMG_0435.JPG

Wife found out today that fresh ginger will keep for up to 12 months if you cover it with fine clean playground sand in a bucket or other container. Better than drying or preserving it which results in loss of nutrients and flavour.

Oops just noticed my ugly toe in the photo. How to ruin a good photo:(.

Last edited: 23rd Sep, 2017
    Phantom, Propagate, Anne11 and 3 others like this.
  14. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

My Little avocado tree looks sick :(, leaves seem to be turning yellow. Does get bugs chewing on it so just started some eco oil spray, not sure what else I can do, any ideas?

I have left the flowers as I thought I would damage the plant too much removing them. Read 99% will just drop anyway and I can just pick off the couple of fruit.

It's a bacon avocado (which just sounds appropriate), my Hass avocado nearby looks fine.

Attached Files:

15. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Out in the garden this morning so thought I'd take a photo of our latest small project:

Have nearly completed a large (11 x 3 x 3 m) Hoop Tunnel (2 sections) to net over some fruit trees which are multi planted: Peaches (2 x 2 varieties), plums (2 varieties), apples (3 varieties). There's a small netted strawberry garden and DIY wicking drums in the foreground. Here's a picture:
    IMG_0444.JPG

Here's a better picture of the vege / herb garden close to the house. The wife was away for awhile so the garden's pretty bare but now back it's been tidied up since the photo was taken and new plantings gone in. I would have weeded it whilst she was away but I didn't know which were weeds vs herbs etc:oops::
    IMG_0427.JPG

The yard's still a work in progress as we've only been here a few years with most newer gardens, shrubs and trees only a couple of years old.

And here's Missy who is always first to greet me thinking I might be in possession of some food:
    IMG_0441.JPG

Last edited: 30th Sep, 2017
    Ambit, TadhgMor, apk and 4 others like this.
  16. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

I found these potatoes growing at the back of my veggie garden under some compost yesterday, didn't even know they were growing there. We roasted them last night with some rosemary and salt and they were delicious, very creamy - I know they would have been only $3 or so from the supermarket but there's something about your own veggies that's special.

TadhgMor, Nodrog, Anne11 and 3 others like this.
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Picked a few Mulberries this afternoon and ate a heap whilst picking. Purple fingers, lips and tongue tell the story:

IMG_0450.JPG

And a few varieties of tomatoes for lunch:
    IMG_0449.JPG

TadhgMor, legallyblonde and Anne11 like this.
  18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I must admit when my wife started growing potatoes I questioned whether it was worth it given how cheap they are to buy. That was until I tasted them. The flavour was so much better, wonderfully fresh with a more earthy flavour.

We use the "no dig" method of growing potatoes. Here's a Picture (not ours) to give you an idea. As the potatoes grow just keep adding more sugar cane mulch on top to keep the actual potatoes covered.

IMG_0451.JPG

19. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

guys watch garden of eden.

nice layer of chook made compost and six inches of woodchip mulch. and you never have to water your garden again ;)

Also a flock of hens makes the best compost.

@PandS : epsom salts just magnesium sulphate, soil must be pretty deficient to need to add that.

Hodor and Nodrog like this.
  20. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

Loving the contributions to the thread :)

Our vege garden is coming along and we've decide to plant some extras to up the varity this year.

Violet Queen Beans
    BEAN VIOLET QUEEN | The Diggers Club

Purple King Climbing beans
    BEAN PURPLE KING CLIMBING | The Diggers Club

Apline Strawberries
    Alpine strawberry

Sunrise Bumble Bee Tomatoes
    TOMATO SUNRISE BUMBLE BEE | The Diggers Club

San Mazarno Tomatoes
    http://www.madaboutberries.com/tomatoes/san-marzano-tomatoes.html

Sorrel
    http://www.motherearthliving.com/gardening/herb-to-know-sorrel-rumex-scutatus-r-acetosa

Most of those guys are still in their seed trays until bigger.

upload_2017-10-3_17-14-11.jpeg

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.