House & Home The Vege Garden Thread

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TadhgMor, 3rd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Good ideas, I’ve got two so will try both, thanks!

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I have been moving toward getting raised garden beds for a while, will prob get tin, do not like the idea of timber that may have treatment leeching past plastic, anyways...

I have or had a large pile of ash, which was supposed to be compost, but it is too much just ash and burned wood, have been slowly getting rid of it, then I thought about the cost of filling garden beds, see am thinking of waist high, then the light went off......it is going to cost a lot to fill.

So, do you think piling say a foot of ash at the bottom before putting fill and soil would matter, or should I maybe mix it in with a bulk potting type mix, or just continue to get rid of it and fill beds with good soil/s ?

I can also get quite a bit of sheep/goat manure, I imagine it would be good in soil about a foot down or so.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

How high do you need it?

30cm deep may be plenty for a lot of crops.

legallyblonde likes this.
  4. dabbler

You mean the beds ? Will be waist high.....

5. geoffw

Wow. That's deep.

Do you really need them that deep? Not many crops would need that much, and they could require a lot of water; they would require a lot of building material as well as a lot of soil.

Alternatively you could have beds with a raised bottom, and only have the top 30cm with soil. Or even self watering wicking beds.

legallyblonde likes this.
  6. dabbler

Hip height may be more like it......avoid bending. I had a lot of ash.....i can also get lots of mulch and prob lots of decent fill.

Can you tell I am not heavily into this area ?

7. dabbler

Could put something mid way to slow water drain

Am willing to hear better suggestions with bending in mind....they make beds this high so assume people do use them.

8. Phar Lap

Go Hydro.

datto likes this.
  9. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Ash doesn't drain. Will get waterlogged. I accidentally killed some very healthy raspberries by sprinkling a small amount of ash in the garden.... I thought I was fertilising

10. geoffw

My ankle high garden bed... three courses of bricks high, sitting on very rocky soil. IMG_20171218_112438704_HDR.jpg IMG_20171218_112539784_HDR.jpg IMG_20171218_112611390_HDR.jpg

TadhgMor, apk, Nodrog and 2 others like this.
  11. geoffw

Like the wicking beds which have been discussed?

Here's a good overview:
    How to Make a Wicking Bed - Wicking Beds

I've already mentioned the mini ones I made (inspired by this thread) using Officeworks plastic filing boxes. They're coming along well- though the corn is probably too deep-****** for this depth of soil.

First pic: Rocket, beetroot, lettuce (with epazote in front- it's a Mexican herb. Only for eating, I should mention before @Scott No Mates says something)
    IMG_20171218_112638183_HDR.jpg
    Second pic- coriander & basil; tomatoes; corn; tomatoes (different varieties); bok choi.
    IMG_20171218_112650770_HDR.jpg

12. geoffw

We had somebody drop by to do a bit of pest control. (This garden bed isn't as well established as the other one I shot earlier).
    IMG_20171218_200623123_HDR.jpg

TadhgMor, Scott No Mates, apk and 4 others like this.
  13. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Yes the bearded dragons are visiting my garden too! He (she?) is supervising for you! Mine wasn't as active as your looks, just sun baking.

Last edited: 18th Dec, 2017
    legallyblonde and geoffw like this.
  14. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

lived in a unit in sydney for years and the best we could do was a few herbs and a chilli bush, not to mention fighting the salty air of the beach. this year we are out of sydney and our comfortable little villa allows me to expand my garden!

my organic, no dig garden:

lettuce varieties, cucumbers, zuchinni, chilli, spinach, beetroot, cherry tomatoes, radishes, mint, coriander, basil, thyme, snake beans and passionfruit

Attached Files:

15. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

Ash should only be used in tiny quantities as it makes the soil very alkaline, great if you want a native garden but not much else.

You want well rotted manure to improve any soil you might have and you would need to work out what NPKP your "decent fill" is before you plant anything in it since you will probably have to adjust it.

Our first raised garden ( the one at the beginning of this thread ) took 3 tonne of material to fill.

Do the math for the volume of the garden you are building so you know how any cubic metres of fill you will require.

With our first garden the first tonne was general soil left over from landscaping, to that we added two tonne of "vege mix" from our local landscape supplier. Most suppliers have a "vege mix", eg.

Garden Materials

Read through this whole thread since there was quite a discussion on raised beds earlier on.

Nodrog likes this.
  16. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

The first yield from the TommyToes is nice, not too many worms ;) - part of the price you pay for being organic.
    upload_2017-12-20_17-3-44.jpeg

The Romano beans are also producing well now, just in time as the Purple kings die back.

upload_2017-12-20_17-7-3.jpeg

One of our Romano bean plants is producing serious big beans!

upload_2017-12-20_17-7-47.jpeg

Nodrog, skater, EN710 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

IMG_20171223_075108.jpg
    First tomatoes of the year, they are Tiger tomatoes and keep their stripes and mild taste. Also have some Amish paste growing which are much richer in flavour from memory.

Anyone have a good method to identify when to pick corn?

TadhgMor, Nodrog and legallyblonde like this.
  18. Phar Lap

Nah, use 100mm PVC, long lengths, filled with medium/soil and have the waterbed nutrient cycling thru.

This guy knows a bit.

Reckon @datto would know a bit too !

Nodrog, datto and geoffw like this.
  19. geoffw

It's been quite a while since I've heard much about hydroponics (except in connection with illicit substances in the Druitt). Do you do this yourself? Is there much work to set it up? Does it cost much? Do you use soil or another medium?

20. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

On the commercial tomato farm (laboured on) we used scoria as a medium, a nearby farm used come kind of husk (?coconut) I believe. Small amounts of water with nutrients were applied to each plant several times a day.

Last edited: 23rd Dec, 2017
    TadhgMor, Nodrog and legallyblonde like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.