House & Home The Vege Garden Thread

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TadhgMor, 3rd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking before I might just go treated and paint the inside and also apply the builders plastic

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Following on from, and inspired by, @Propagate, I tried some wicked boxes- with modifications.

.I didn't use piping in the water chamber
    .I used gravel in the first 2 boxes, but Bunnings didn't have any more bags available, so did something differently.

After drilling a hole in the side of the box at about 10cm high, I cut out the centre part of the lid and drilled holes in it. This was the base for the soil; the geo fabric covered this. The base had bricks instead of gravel. They are all planted now, with seedlings appearing.
    IMG_20171025_161008766.jpg IMG_20171025_162104461_HDR.jpg IMG_20171025_162142445.jpg IMG_20171025_163927976.jpg

TadhgMor, Propagate, Nodrog and 2 others like this.
  3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Wow, didn't think water would get up the bricks and in those holes to the fabric. Good work and thanks for the share

geoffw likes this.
  4. geoffw

The fabric edges drape over the plastic cut off top, right into the water. The pipe is used to fill up the chamber with water. The hole in the side allows the water to fill up to almost the top of the bricks, and no more.

Hodor likes this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I can’t find a photo on the web that shows exactly what we’ve done but the following might help. We put an old garden pot with holes drilled in the sides in the middle of the bottom of the wicking barrel. The picture below has two pots by the look of it. You can use whatever to create the water resevoir void below the geotech fabric. We use old plastic garden pots with side holes drilled placed upside down. Very light and allows for a lot more water holding capacity compared to using rocks / gravel / etc.

Geotech fabric lines the inside of the centre pot. It’s then filled with sand which wicks the water up to the soil sitting on top of the sand. Works extremely well.

C64DBC49-7CE1-4ECE-A0CA-9048226150E7.jpeg

From earlier a couple of our pots with mint in them:

E60B374A-DCA7-48DF-BF89-17FD89FD5B1A.jpeg

Attached Files:

geoffw and Hodor like this.
  6. geoffw

One of my brick edged garden plots.
    IMG_20171107_111234039.jpg IMG_20171107_111403098.jpg

apk, MWI, Propagate and 1 other person like this.
  7. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Great work on the Wicked Tubs @geoffw They work so well! Will be interested to see how yours go with the gravel ones v's brick ones.

I'll take some photo's of ours again this weekend, stuff is flying. I have not watered them once since build (but we have had a good bit of rain). Seeded spring onions sprouted in about 10 days and the stuff I planted as seedlings is going gangbusters. One of the Kale plants has bolted to seed already so I'll yank it, that batch of Kale is all a bit weird and stunted but it's the stuff that's been replanted twice already and was rescued from certain death by the possums so it didn't get a great start at life.

The strawberries, radish and beets have gone nuts.

Nodrog likes this.
  8. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I've been reading up on the wicking tubs (FYI don't google 'wicked pot' as you will not find what you're looking for....) and am now thinking that may be the better way to go to begin with.

I see all the designs have the pipe that leads down to the reservoir for watering purposes but wouldn't just watering the soil so then it trickles down to the reservoir be just as effective?

9. Propagate

I think that way though you'd end up drenching the soil to get enough water down in to the reservoir so your plants may rot.

When the soil wicks up it does it at an almost perfect moisture rate so your plants are getting water but not sat in saturated soil.

I was about to post to suggest you look at making your beds wicking, especially if you are lining them with builders poly anyway as you're already half way there then, just need your ballast and geo fabric over and your good to go.

10. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Yeah, rightio, makes sense.

I was thinking along the same lines too but not sure how well I'd go at making the big bed one enclosed system easily. The builders plastic was more to stop soil from falling out and getting on the concrete.

Might use my training wheels with a few wicked tubs and once I graduate move to making the big bed.

11. geoffw

I mentioned self watering before, that's the same as wicking beds. you can also Google self watering beds.

As @Propagate mentioned, this ensures a properly watered soil; it also means a much more efficient use of water. You just top up the well when it's needed- I'm guessing you could probably leave it a couple of weeks without topping up.

You could also put tubs in a wood bed to make it look much better. You could use pallets as already mentioned.

Each tub cost me under $10.

Nodrog and Propagate like this.
  12. Propagate

Nodrog, Hodor and geoffw like this.
  13. Simon_S

Simon_S Well-Known Member

14. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

the vege patch is coming along nicely. The TommyToe's are 2 metres high now and are not far off for vine ripend fruit.
    upload_2017-11-20_20-25-37.jpeg
    The Purple King bean ahs produced the first handfull of yummy beans :)

upload_2017-11-20_20-23-46.jpeg

upload_2017-11-20_20-24-43.jpeg

paulF, Propagate, Ambit and 1 other person like this.
  15. TadhgMor

We also put in an irigation system since the soaker hose had perished and we wanted better control over the watering.

We got keen and cleaned up some of the fence line and planted a new vege garden along the fence too :)
    upload_2017-11-20_20-27-34.jpeg

upload_2017-11-20_20-27-42.jpeg

We put some of our latest seedlings of beens and tomatoes in here plus added in Wee Pumpkin, Zuchini, Tromboncino and a Tayberry we transplated from elsewhere.

There's a bunch of capsicum in there too.

Last edited: 20th Nov, 2017
    paulF, Nodrog and geoffw like this.
  16. TadhgMor

A note on Tomato care..
    When growing tomatoes there is a couple of things you can do to have then stay strong and produce more fruit.

1. Cut out the lower branches to allow for more air flow. This helps keep disease to a minimum.

2. Cut the "suckers" out of the branches as they grow. The sucker is the middle branch that starts a while after the two main branches have grown a bit. See pic below.

upload_2017-11-20_20-34-42.jpeg

upload_2017-11-20_20-35-7.jpeg

Your tomatoes will thank you for it :)

paulF, Chris Au, Hodor and 1 other person like this.
  17. TadhgMor

Oh yes, I forgot to mention our other experiment! - In the black bucket in the mini patch is Tumeric. It will take a while to see if we're succesful with that.

18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

We’ve got a patch of Tumeric. Very easy to grow up here. It seems to look after itself in the ground. Beautiful flowers on the plants.

19. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

A few weeks and it's been brilliant so far except for cucumbers. 5 out of 6 died, looked like some bacteria issue... otherwise,been eating lettuce and spinach for over two weeks now and they are still going hard!
    Tomatoes are doing really well and removed the suckers yesterday (Cheers @TadhgMor for the reminder... )so hoping for a good outcome soon!

IMG_20171121_183832.jpg

TadhgMor, Nodrog and Propagate like this.
  20. TadhgMor

A nice harvest today of Silverbeet, Beetroot leaves, Oregano, Tommytoes, King Beans and a couple of Dwarf Beans, plus a bowl with Basil, Mint and other herbs :)

upload_2017-11-22_11-44-25.jpeg

EN710, apk, Propagate and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.