House & Home The Vege Garden Thread 2021

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 1st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I put some beans in a couple of weeks ago, noticed the first shoot this morning.

Tomatoes are coming up by themselves - they should be baby cherries if they've self-seeded from last year's crop or the compost. I picked up some bamboo stakes a week ago as well - hopefully they'll last better than those crappy hardwood stakes from Bunnie's (they aren't an in-ground grade of timber).

Citrus is starting to flower, got around to planting another lemon & a new rosemary next to the lavender.

2. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

No issues there but they are in Garage (under couch), gym area, undercover storage....sometimes when I am workingout they just appear from no where and not to mention the dropings ;(

Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Lucky you don't have drop bears. :eek:

4. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

How do you successfully grow lavender? We did last year, more than 1/2 died :confused:

5. Scott No Mates

Keep it reasonably dry, I placed bushrock around the plants to generate/retain heat, cut back harshly (⅓ of plant) after flowering - it's going gangbusters at present.

samiam likes this.
  6. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

That’s an issue with our soil, clay - poor drainage. And last year was pretty wet. Bush rock is a good idea - will try around left over plants

7. Scott No Mates

We have clay about 8" down & heaps of broken down mulched top soil. There are still some spots which are hit & miss with what will grow.

The challenge is the lack of continuous full sun.

samiam likes this.
  8. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

Planter boxes for growing vegs and herbs:
    [Maybe I should start a new thread for my question on this.] Been thinking of buying (high) planter boxes for growing vegs and herbs - so I don't have to bend down to the ground so much (aging issue). Have checked out those for sale at Bunnings - they are round metals, height between 500mm to 1m. However, also saw an ad in a gardening magazine for rectangular / square timber. Wonder if anyone has used these planter boxes for growing vegs and herbs? Which one would you choose - metal (cheaper) or timber (more expensive)? Both would have to be lined and filled with top soil, compost and mulch? Our backyard is mainly lawn / weed on a slight slope. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There are a couple of options suggested in the thread:
    Landscaping/Plants question

ozwanderlust likes this.
  10. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

Thanks, geoffw. Have followed that thread now, to get ideas. However, we are not 'handy' people and have not much strength to do the hard yakka work. So, it is likely that we may go for the cheaper (and lighter) colour bond raised garden beds, instead of timber or wood. I only want to grow some herbs and basic vegs - cannot manage much more than these. No fruit trees, other than a lime tree.

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't much of a handy person myself - but I didn't have a job, so had heaps of time and a limited budget. Permanent raised garden beds may add more value than movable metal ones. They weren't that difficult to construct - with the help of YouTube.

But there are some fairly cheap raised metal garden beds available on Kogan (via reseller) or bargain online sites.

Never giveup and ozwanderlust like this.
  12. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Here’s a product which may be of interest.

Raised Garden Bed Kits | Elevated and Portable | Wicking Bed Design

ozwanderlust likes this.
  13. Never giveup

Mrs tried in pot, when established then tranfered in ground(1st pic) and 2nd one direct in ground last year.

Attached Files:

Anne11 likes this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not exactly vege garden ... although my fruit trees are flowering prolifically, my sweet corn is sprouting, and 4 of my 5 new asparagus crowns have shot thru ... I have finally joined the sourdough revolution .... at a mere day 3 I am bubbling like crazy

Smells amazing and still another 5 days of feeding before I can bread bake ... what a wild and yeasty home I have ... :D

Attached Files:

Scott No Mates and geoffw like this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - next project .... can't believe I tried to give away my pallets!

245625982_10159636644164169_6040829780461316366_n.jpg

qak, apk and geoffw like this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Vege garden is loving the rain (and the manures and the mushroom compost and the mulch)

I'm not an organised vege garden'er - things get bunged in where they fit between the flowers and dozen fruit trees.

Corn is looking fab and I've just planted another plot - asparagus is forming a lovely crown (okay, I have 5 asparagus crowns in my gardens ;) nomnomnom) - although the cherry tomatoes have decided they prefer the path rather than the garden. Not had much luck, so far, with carrot and parsnip.

Also spreading their wings are snow peas, butter beans, beetroot, sweet potato, cucumbers, dwarf watermelon, pumpkin, lettuces and every herb I'm likely to ever need ... although ... am keen to try "long pepper" alongside my coffee plant ... Long Pepper: A Short History — SECONDS | Food history

20211122_094949.jpg 20211122_095044.jpg 20211122_094919.jpg

Propin, Heinz57, ozwanderlust and 2 others like this.
  17. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

After a morning putting up the Christmas tree and brining cucumbers for the annual pickle-fest ... lunch time

Everything picked from my garden ... to make a green tomato, garlic and basil pasta sauce with asparagus and snow peas lunch ... yum! Did veer from the recipe slightly as the green cherry tomatoes were frying a little quick in the pan - nothing a good glug of white wine (for stewing, of course) didn't fix

Topped with pine nuts and parmesan

261499770_10226534884904621_8309663738267002706_n.jpg

apk, Propin, moridog and 1 other person like this.
  19. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I’ve sown heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers and they’re doing well, not sure I have enough space for the cucumbers may have to plant them out amongst the native garden. I bought an old old round trough from the tip shop and DF has affixed it to the side wall, I’ve put snow peas in!

Lizzie likes this.
  20. Never giveup

PXL_20211201_051726804.jpg PXL_20211201_051628522.jpg Never seen this size before

Lizzie likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.