The upside to a Trump presidency

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Air_Bender, 9th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Russia hacked Hillarys brain
    Russia hacked Qatar this week

Those damn Ruskis!!!

MTR and Bayview like this.
  2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

It's not me you need t believe.
    These are the figures from the Harvard Uni study on negative/positive reporting by all the various medias.
    The various rhetoric, narratives and reporting styles/patterns are now not in question; are plain to see.

Wasn't really shocked; was this though - :rolleyes:.

Just clicking on that link was enough of a clue to know what was going to follow with that interview....and it delivered, and pretty much included all of the list below. It was quite good...

ABC?....completely Left-biased and without balance or right of reply, or opposing view, Anti-Trump and all things Trump, gender Politics, victim politics, class warfare; champion of the underdog, champion of the persecuted minorities, anti-Capitalism, 'white privilege', no opposing view or chance to refute or support for a start...add in; only one side - of "the victims" of this evil rich white privileged LL who preys on the poor?

Like the Dondale Detention Centre in Darwin; the 4 Corners Report - completely mis-represented what was going on there; which made the Facility Manager as villian (despite a decent degree of reform and improvement in the Centre), and all the kids (one in particular a hardened criminal with a lengthy rap sheet and history of violence and self harm, threats to murder etc) made to look like tortured victims at Gitmo or Abu Ghraib.. and they even used both of those terms.

It was meant to be a piece on showcasing the reforms and improvements of the Centre under it's current Facility Manager (sent him a letter asking for permission to do a piece and explaining it as such); instead? complete hatchet job...civ lib BS.

But back to this latest gem;

Just to pose a (common) scenario; they are low income housing apartment buildings..poor areas, cheap (and subsidised) rents, lower quality buildings (hence the cheaper rent), lots of crime, etc....poor tenants who are the victims of a greedy, rich white LL.

Let's all be honest; as LL's we all know how things are with tenants generally, and sad to say; a larger proportion of "tenant problems" seem to occur at this end of the rental pool; so I suspect; there might be a decent chunk of issues coming from the tenants - who are never at fault as we LL's all know. ;)

Philip Adams?......please. Very decorated career and life, to be sure, but the guy is drowning in the ABC list above....so you have to factor that in to what this interview is about. The whole tone is about heartless LL, versus poor defenseless tenant.... please.

Alec McGilless - Pro-Publica and NYT....say no more about NYT - blatantly anti-all things Trump, fake news and unsubstantiated leaks from un-known sources etc;
    ProPublica is the left's biggest muckraker you never heard of

One example; "They even went after her for $10 for a lost room card".
    "Bleak, bleak places", "Nowhere for the kids to play" "Tenants being shamed for being late on their rent" (evidence of that?), "Poor condition of the apartment buildings" (hence very cheap rent?)

Sorry; but they are running a very large business with policies required to Manage it successfully.

Whilst these two stories illustrated in the interview were sad (one was a rent dodger who had no paperwork to back up the story) - and as usual; no right of reply or explanation about the details for each story.

I am sure the vast majority of the tenants are reasonably happy enough there - given their financial position in life at that time; happy to have a roof - otherwise they would leave.

There will always be incidents of aggrieved tenants who have not had their water tap drip fixed in a prompt fashion, or the carpets are old (maggots? - get them steam cleaned; more hyperbole), or doors wont close properly; but they are in very cheap rental apartment buildings, so quality is not going to be fabulous to begin with.

I guess they could spend lots to fix them up to a higher standard; but then the rent goes up.

I myself have had a Council Order on one of my rentals for "Lack of Livability" until repairs were carried out (see my thread on the Kalgoorlie renovation) - it all stemmed from a tenant who was offered much cheaper rent for a unit in a state of deterioration - to which she agreed - and then decided she didn't like the condition (after inspecting it) and wanted repairs done before she moved in (for the same rent amount). I said no; she was evicted, and then complained to the Council, who slapped the Order on it.

The Tenant deemed she was hardly done by; but this is completely false; she tried on a bit of a scam at the last minute after she had signed the Lease, then got the shoits when it backfired.

Annoyingly; the Council took her side.

I went there to do the repairs, and I can honestly tell you; it was completely livable; run down a bit for sure, and I have lived in far worse and paid for the privilege to do so without complaint.

So; the view of livability and tenant complaints - must be taken with a reasonable grain of salt.

When you are dealing with over 1,000 (thousands?) tenants, issues with damage, rent default, late rent payments, willful damage - all things we LL's have experienced - to let things go on a large scale - is to make the business fail, and then no-one has any accommodation at all.

As heartless as charging $10 for a room card sounds to this bloke; it is a Business Cost.

They could then build the cost of the cards into the rent to cover those who lose their cards, but then the rent goes up. Lost room cards would probably be in the many hundreds per year - every year..they have to be paid for. It is a business.

Alec has done a very good job of painting these many tenants as victims of a heartless, evil white LL who is running a dodgy Company and ripping off the poor, hounding folks "for late rent payment and leaving their apartment early".

I mean; please.

Just more attempts to smear anything/anyone associated with Trump.

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2017
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

See you in a few hours. :p:p:p:p

MTR likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

There seems to be a deep resentment and overflowing of sour grape juice by so many people in this world aimed at the super successful, super rich capitalist players. Its not just anti trump people, its everywhere. All workplaces, towns, at parties etc. If a person who is very successful financially or politically etc comes up, a lot of people will start to make them as evil as possible which also suddenly extends to their family members etc.

I find it thoroughly amusing. The lengths much of society will go to in order to cover-up/ justify/deflect from their own glaring (choice of) mediocrity.

I'm sure if it were much easier to be at the other end of mediocrity many more would choose to be there.

Bayview and MTR like this.
  5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yeah that's definitely the issue here, sour grapes. That's why Bloomberg had as much jealous press as trump has has despite being worth around 10 times as much as trump, having been in public eye about as long as a rich new yorker, being from the same city and beijngin politics longer.

That's also definitely why mitt Romney and John Kerry, both being worth a few hundred million and in politics for couple of decades, includingat a very senior level, also had the same "unfair" jealous driven scrutiny.

Definitely

100%

FYI, to bring this up a couple of hours after the Comey testimony this morning prob isn't the best timing for you..

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2017
    Skilled_Migrant and wylie like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

My comment was more general in nature but its only an opinion.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Luuuv your avatar, I need to step up:)

8. sanj

Granted but it's one that doesn't appear to be backed by facts, at least from what I've seen

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think this great, number 5 in particular.
    Five Signs You Might Be Irrational About Politics

A few signs that you might be irrational about politics, and this was written in 2012;)
    1. Do you become angry during political discussions?
    2. Do you have strong opinions about a subject before acquiring relevant empirical evidence?
    3. Do your opinions fail to change as you acquire more evidence?
    4. Do you seek information only from sources already agree with?
    5. Do you think that people who disagree with you must be evil

Bayview and Sackie like this.
  10. sanj

I watched over an hour of his testimony, he actually said a fair few things that were positives for.trump, in particular regarding that trump himself was not at that stage under investigation and kept answers very factual, despite both Republicans and Democrats trying at times to goad particular answers. He also answered a few times where he put himself in a less than positive light and you'd be hard pressed to find someone looking objectively at his testimony who would claim it seemed dishonest overall.

He also spoke of how the previous attorney general tried to influence his investigation of Hillary Clinton, not so much the process of investigation but how it was presented to the public and was clear with his disapproval of this.

Ultimately, there is no doubt trump comes off looking less than stellar from this. The role of FBI director has always been 1 step removed from president by design as it is meant to be entirely independent. In Obama's last term he only had 2 direct meetings or contacts with the president but he had 9 in a few months with trump.

He also spoke of how trump asked the attorney general, chief of staff and Jared kushner to leave the room , twice, when he first brought the topic of leaving Flynn alone up and how that was highly inappropriate and completely unusual as there is no logical reason why they should have been made to leave, in particular the attorney general as the FBI director reports to the attorney general who is supposed to be the conduit between FBI and president

Of course it could be sour grapes that someone who has never been accused of being partisan, has actually been a Republican most of his adult life, has himself been the deputy attorney general etc and has a much more consistent narrative regarding these incidents, suddenly chose to invent all of this and target poor innocent trump

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No disagreement from me, thats why I rarely comment on politics as I don't follow it. My comment was general and was based on my life experiences and that of others of whom I have read. For the record I don't think there are many unadulterated 'facts' about much in politics. Both sides have their tactics to twist and turn almost everything. Its all mostly nonsense to me.

12. sanj

Here we go, a Breitbart article on a Fox news piece by a highly respected Fox news journalist on the Comey testimony. Breitbart + Fox news so no trump supporter of even a hint of a sane mind could claim anti trump bias and the best they could come up with was it was good for trump.personally regarding his own involvement in the collusion but very bad for him politically
    The best, most posigive video they could come up with on a 2 hour plus hearing was 50 secs which was more negative than positive on the trump administration.

FNC's Wallace: Comey's Testimony Legally Good For Trump, Politically 'Very Damaging' - Breitbart
    I'm

13. sanj

Fair enough but you're assuming "sides" always exist. In this case what's being discussed is an independent person, in fact a Republican himself, presenting testimony to the Senate committee under oath and being compared to words directly uttered and actions taken by trump administration. There is no other side here and no adulterated version of anything.

14. sanj

Ultimately Comey served under 3 presidents, 2 Republicans and 1 democrat, 1, under bush as deputy attorney general and then as FBI director under trump and Obama.

It is unprecedented that he not only was approached the way he claims but that he felt the need from early on to fully document everything due to serious concerns about the presidents actions and that he would lie about them

Think about how badly trump must come off to those in direct contact, who are highly qualified to judge such matters, that such actionsnare considered prudent.

That he asked the attorney general to not let him be in a room with the president alone again as he did not feel comfortable about the nature of content of their conversations.

The guy is an oaf and a buffoon

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Exactly. These people (on both sides) are just playing a game of politics and cover their own ass. What might be an 'independent' investigation or even a republican on republican so no reason to adulterate anything, I don't buy any of that. There is so much nonsense that goes on both sides I don't think the public will ever get much of the actual truth in any of these matters. Again not based on fact, just my opinion.

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

MTR, post: 419945, member: 349"]I think this great, number 5 in particular.
    Five Signs You Might Be Irrational About Politics

A few signs that you might be irrational about politics, and this was written in 2012;)
    1. Do you become angry during political discussions? Yes, homicidal.
    2. Do you have strong opinions about a subject before acquiring relevant empirical evidence? Absolutely.
    3. Do your opinions fail to change as you acquire more evidence? Yes, I'm as stubborn as a stone.
    4. Do you seek information only from sources already agree with? yes, only from Trumps tweets.
    5. Do you think that people who disagree with you must be evil. Obviously.

MTR and sanj like this.
  17. sanj

So your opinion is that the former FBI director is lying and playing sides?

You're right the public usually doesn't get the facts

This was sworn testimony in a hearing where he was openly questioned by over 10 senators from both sides of politics and where every word can be heard or read.

This is one instance where actually reading a transcript or watching the video is a chance to make up our minds on the matter on clear and thoroughly challenged testimony , particularly since both opposing sides got to ask the questions that they felt would help their sides so here's your chance to hear unfiltered info that is unbiased

Or just say it's all lies and ignore it all

wylie likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I honestly think anything is possible sanj. In the end who suffers is the American people. No one truly, truely really cares about them, not the dems or republicans. Perhaps I'm extremely cynical.

{Note from mods - this thread continues here: The upside to a Trump presidency - part 2}

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Aug, 2018
    sanj and MTR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.