The upside to a Trump presidency - part 2

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MTR, 9th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

More upside.... yes, its a boom

By all measures, a construction boom is shaping up for 2018

By all measures, a construction boom is shaping up for 2018
    • The construction industry added 30,000 jobs last month, according to the Labor Department.
    • That brings the sector's 2017 gains to 210,000 positions, a 35 percent increase over the previous year.
    • Construction spending is also soaring, up to a record $1.257 trillion in November, according to the Commerce Department.
    • Optimism among construction contractors is also at a record high.

Thanks Prez:)

Orion likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Only those people who cause problems.

There is currently only one active member who has been locked out of political threads.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OK
    Still the under dog....

Orion likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

No - it's not - but is it wrong to claim that everything positive is due to Trump.

My concern is those that aren't at the top of the tree - like yourself - but rather those at the bottom ... the aged, the disabled, the vets, the sick, the poor, the illiterate ... how are they faring?

A civilised society is judged by how it treats it's most vulnerable

geoffw likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But on the flip side any positive achievements by Trump are always ignored.or minimised.

What society is perfect? Who can solve all the problems.... give them a gold star

Just look in our own backyard for starters

We're treating our most vulnerable worse than dogs

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Trump's achievements are being ignored in the same way many are ignoring Obama's achievements. But he wasn't constantly telling us what a good job he had done.

Homelessness in Australia isn't good. But it is a lot better than that of the US. And it's not the topic of the thread.

Homelessness in the US actually rose starting from December 2017.

America's homeless population rises for the first time since the Great Recession

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes - homelessness is a problem, the majority of which is caused by mental health issues, and these services have been downsized or cut completely in recent years. There are some people who simply cannot function out in the world, yet are being forced to do so.

On the positive side - we do have free health care, quality free education, a livable welfare system for as long as one needs it (as long as they hold up their side of the bargain - I looking for work or retraining).

I'd much rather live in Australia

8. Simon Hampel

Stick to the topic please

Last edited: 21st Aug, 2018
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Back to topic...… I like The Hill

The media hate to admit it.... Its been a great year for Trump

The media won't admit it, but President Trump has had a great 2018

President Donald J. Trump has had a great 2018 but you would not know it if you listened to cable talking heads obsess about Roseanne Barr’s latest tweet or the latest “breaking news” coming from a White House press briefing. The media seems obsessed with gossip and conjecture about what is going on at the White House staff level while they ignore the growing number of landmark achievements of the Trump administration. This has been a great year so far and Americans can expect much more in the months to come.

or the ongoing conspiracy theories.....goss.....OMbad …. the latest on Russian thread... Holly molly, its hysteria to another level.

Last edited: 21st Aug, 2018
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I think she has a good point - even though she writes for the New York Times.

Maureen Dowd: Donald Trump has been a 'revivifying force' for democracy - Donald Trump's America - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

** Wasn't sure what thread to put this in - but didn't really want to start a new one:

For those who are perplexed about how Trump's seemingly random speeches resonate with his base, this is a rally interesting read:

Donald Trump’s strange speaking style, as explained by linguists

His rambling is more conversational (hence personal) with added salesmen pitches - and incomplete sentences so that his supporters can fill in the "blank" with their own version of events, and tap into their own fears and insecurities, an incite anger (feeling of power), with no obligation to make any effort to change.

Very effective ... but it do find them hard to follow personally:

"Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, okay, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, okay, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you're a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right — who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us."

13. radson

radson Well-Known Member

upload_2018-8-28_7-9-17.png

I see this as an upside. Look at Texas!

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well its been pretty good couple of weeks for Trump administration.

Lets see.... just a couple of biggies

Brett Kavanaugh got nominated 50 - 48
    Senate Votes 50-48 Confirm Brett Kavanaugh Supreme Court

Canada and Mexico signing trade deals with US
    Canada agrees to join U.S. and Mexico in new trade deal to replace NAFTA, say US and Canadian officials

Oh yes, just another the economy is on fire
    What... CNBC reporting something worthy just for a change

Trump has set economic growth on fire. Here is how he did it

Russell9, Orion and CowPat like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Russell9 likes this.
  16. Simon Hampel

Let's keep this thread about things people believe Trump is doing right - not what you believe other people or parties are doing wrong.

wylie likes this.
  17. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

One of the great things Trump did is pulling out of the Paris accord.

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Oct, 2018
    SMTY, Russell9, Orion and 2 others like this.
  18. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

If you hate the planet I suppose. What is the upside of this ? Cant think of any.

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Oct, 2018
  19. Simon Hampel

Note that I have added a new point to the Politics Forum Guidelines - do not post "reverse upsides", ie. things which are only an "upside" because you feel they paint the subject in a bad light and it validates your world view that they are unworthy of the outcomes they have achieved. If you don't have something positive or constructive to add - don't post.

Lizzie likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Russell9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.