The Unconventional Oven by Matt Moran

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 4th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Quite a powerful demonstration by chef Matt Moran on the dangers of leaving kids in the car.

More information: The Unconventional Oven

BigKahuna, willair, 380 and 1 other person like this.
  2. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

yes very powerful. my ex husband rescued a dog from a shopping centre carpark once. The dog was in a lot of stress ( lying down, tongue out and swollen, quite glassy eyed.) He broke the window of the car and the owner came back about a minute after he had done it. Caused havoc until someone got shopping centre security and the police. ( the owner tried to do him for breaking in and attempting to steal the car) When the cop saw the dog, the tables turned and the owner was arrested :)

NEVER leave kids or animal in a car regardless of the waether or if you have "cracked the window"

Terry_w, bob shovel and EN710 like this.
  3. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Don't have kids so don't know much!

However, it shouldn't take long to load/unload kids in the car..

I know vovlo is experimenting visual/audio warning for kids in locked car issue.

4. Simon Hampel

Actually - getting the kids into a car and securing them into their car seats (especially if using H-harnesses) can take quite some time!

The older the kids get, the easier and quicker it becomes.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

it's just like wrestling jelly.

6. Simon Hampel

Speaking from personal experience? :p

I was more thinking it's like herding cats. Much more devious and mischievous than jelly!

7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Well I have designed architecture of logic...let's hope volvo gets their engineers to make it reality.

Then parents will have less/ no choice.

Door opens
    Seat weighed
    Varibale measurements
    Attempt to lock car
    Seat weights checked
    If same, audio/video visual warning.
    And few bits and pieces of logic and tech bits

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The Fryers Jelly Wrestling champion 1987-1990 ;)

It was not a good look.:eek:

9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I've never been kicked in the face by jelly. :eek:
    Thankfully they're older now!

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Wrestling a jelly coated octopus who's hyped up on sugar!
    Agreed after the age of 5 much easier. Getting a sub 4yo into a 5pt harness that doesn't want to get in - is full blown torture.
    Speaking of 5pt harnesses - my 7yo still has one. She's quite tiny and still fits into her 5pt isofix car seat with ease. Now she can do it up and undo it herself though so no worries. It's the comfiest seat in the car and goes up to 30kg/110cm

Safety 1st Complete Air 65 Convertible Car Seat - Corabelle

11. Simon Hampel

It is strongly recommended that kids stay in their full car seat/booster (preferably with harness) for as long as possible - especially if they are small for their age.

Regular seatbelts just don't work as well on small bodies - not without at least a booster.

12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I wonder where all of these equipments when I was young?
    Only remember sitting in a Toyota with ... let's see... up to 8 people squeezed in the middle seat. But then I was in the country where 20km per hour is good traffic in the city.

13. Simon Hampel

This is a common issue when dealing with modern safety standards - "I survived childhood without needing any of this stuff". It's like I've never been hit by lightning - doesn't mean I never will. My house has never been burned down by fire - but I still have insurance. etc.

Car safety has come a long way - these days a lot of people walk away from serious car crashes that would have killed everyone on board not too long ago.

EN710 and Westminster like this.
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Agreed so we keep our kids in the safest version appropriate for their size - which for our 7yo is a 5pt harness in a full car seat rather than a booster with lap sash belt.
    We chose many years ago to get Euro or USA car seats with latch/isofix to get the safest on market. They were designed to last longer backwards and longer forwards facing and were secured more safely in the car. It's only recently that isofix car seats were available directly from Australia.

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

For the record, I'm not trying to say the safety is over the top. I'm all for safety, the safer the better. Was just fascinated - I don't remember at what point these safety stuff become a common sense (it wasn't back then!)

16. Simon Hampel

I know exactly what you mean - I see photos from my own childhood and wonder how safe things were.

I remember early cars we owned which didn't even have seatbelts in the back seat.

EN710 likes this.
  17. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Both my hubby and I have very fond memories of going up or down the coast from Brisbane in the early to mid 70's (a loooong way in those days) and being put to bed in the "way back" of the family wagon for the drive home. It was just what we did :)

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia