Entertainment & Music The truth of good music

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 11th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Teen and I have been having some interesting discussions regarding the music we like. I never played a lot of music when she was young - so don't believe I was an influence - but the music she is drawn to is the modern version of music that I really like at her age - and I really like what she listens to - so we've been trying to find the common denominator.

We've broken it down to two factors:

1. They are a band that write their own songs (unique with no factory churn)
    2. ... most importantly ... they have a damn straight, awesome live drummer

No consistently boring backing track - but rather a deep drumming base that you "feel" with drum riffs in keeping with the beat.

For the record, she's loved 5SOS since they first came on the scene (think Youngblood) - and I loved Icehouse, Duran Duran and Inxs ... but we both are drawn to original musicians such as Adele and (sadly deceased) Amy Winehouse

(5SOS - Youngblood)
    (Duran Duran - Wild Boys)

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2019
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I enjoy really serious music -

They're playing for a good cause at the Petersham Bowlo in a couple of weeks. They reminded me of DAAS.

3. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

... seriously good live shows. Uni days.

4. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I'm having flashbacks. I reckon they did Throw Your Arms Around Me better than Hunters and Collectors

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The original was the best, then they remixed went to the US etc and it went to pot.

6. VB King

Yes they did.
    Paul McDermott had a seriously good voice.

I suspect we won’t see the kind of content they did anymore, it’s too easy for a minority to be offended.

I would describe their style of comedy as “jokes in poor taste delivered in reasonable taste”.

Kesse likes this.
  7. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Slight segue... Eddie Vedder does an awesome version too.

8. VB King

Another excellent voice.

I have to agree with your original observation about bands coming up with their own music.

Not enough of this anymore, nowhere near the bands playing live in pubs anymore.

I blame smoking bans, granny state service of alcohol, and pathetic noise restrictions around venues that were known for putting on a good band.

9. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

it would appear it takes only ONE complaint these days.
    https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...om-noisehating-neighbour-20170124-gtxlth.html

we were spoilt for choice in the 80's. lots of great Sydney pub bands and venues.

10. VB King

A
    majority of one, who probably bought in decades after bands started playing there.

These venues are as historically significant as someone’s 200 year old initials on a tree or a 10,000 year old cave painting.

As a society we will regret shutting down these venues.

And a bit of noisy beer fueled fun will in hindsight seem not so bad compared to computer generated all night “music” you need to take pills to enjoy.

2c worth. I lived overseas for the last 15 years and am appalled at what I’ve come back to.

Lizzie and Angel like this.
  11. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Nope...but there's heaps of new stuff and they are playing live. Just not in pubs.

Social media means that the kids are making their own venues and festivals. Lots of restaurants have live music these days and there are other venues as well.

It's not the heady days of the 70s and 80s but it's still happening in its own way.

We're humans. Being creative is what we do.

12. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

And TISM

13. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Meh... Good is subjective. I've got a pretty eclectic taste in music, ranging from Madonna to Merzbow. My preferred music is probably psytrance or bass/electro...with a bit of classical thrown in. 90s,00s,1xs doof/rave/warehouse parties were a big part of my 20s/30s - pubs less so, much better vibe at a dance party than a pub imo. I prefer non vocal music because uncertain of the intent/meaning of an artist's lyrics and would rather not spend hours trying to decipher them.

14. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

I love a wide variety of music and invariably just parts of songs, not the whole song.
    Nothing like a great riff, or drummer section, even just a single note at times (Pink Floyd, always hit that note at the right time).
    Melodies, so many to mention.
    If we have to pick out a great original Aussie band that had great beat, rhythm and vocals you can't go past Cold Chisel but right up there as a live band is Hoodo Gurus.

15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I like all music and Brisbane had and still have some good places to watch live bands ,just a pity the deen brothers levelled Cloudland ..You could stand in the centre and the floor it would move a few inches up and down as the bands played..Then another demo job was Festival Hall ,my mate had a speaker hire business saw Bob Marley ,Bowie ,Stevie Nicks ..But the best ever was the Ramones in 1980 at Festival Hall..
    The Tivoli