House & Home The Tiny House Movement

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 19th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

And all courtesy of private rentals on Gumtree

2. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Jail?

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

suspect house sitting

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've never understood people selling their house to travel in a caravan. I understand the concept (but it is not our cup of tea) but why not rent the house out so that one day, if you have to sell the house to fund a place in a nursing home, you actually have something to sell that has kept growing, and throwing off rent as well to fund your travels?

Marg4000 likes this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It could well be because people don't have the capital to buy a nice caravan and to go travelling to begin with. Selling the house provides a very tempting nest egg.

TAJ likes this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I can't talk about other cities, but you aren't allowed to live in a caravan or a granny flat in most of Brisbane. So why would the council let you live in a Tiny House either?

I am not up to speed on the prices charged to get one to Brisbane either. My brother in law's business builds trucks and custom vehicles like ambulances and fire engines. He says that to build a commercial caravan that is totally self contained, it would be uneconomical to do so - labour rates, for example. He built one ten years ago for his private use, more than $100K for a 26 foot caravan if he charged out the labour cost. For that much money, we could build a real house with a real kitchen, separate bathroom and proper insulation.

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

From my expereience, the people who sell their house to buy a caravan aren't thinking about going into a nursing home. It's just not something that the average person sets as a life goal.

I suspect a handful of pills and a bottle of scotch might be more palatable.

Propagate and Ambit like this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

10. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

How does the government pay for it though, as in the dole? Wouldn’t want some unemployed bum ‘looking after’ my house!

11. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I've been looking at these recently to use as accomodation for my wife's business. They look great compared to caravans and can be sold off when no longer needed. And as you say, much cheaper than a granny flat, but I find the good looking version at 70k to expensive. If they could bring the costs down to 40-50k it would work for us.

MTR likes this.
  12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Cheap option

upload_2017-11-20_7-6-46.png

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Aged pension ... still young at 65

Ambit likes this.
  14. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Coupled with this Geoff I sense people feel unshackled for the first time and wish to make the most of it..... no binding financial responsibilities, so to speak. Very enticing to a great many now.

geoffw likes this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

17. Phineas

Phineas Well-Known Member

Whenever I read an article on Tiny houses, they sound so idyllic. The marketing sells the "simplistic living" trope, and I have to remind myself that that sort of lifestyle can be done in a caravan (despite the less pleasant aesthetics), or any other sort of abode really. And the going price for >$50k seems exorbitant.

Tiny houses look marvellous but have a dark side: three things they don't tell you on marketing blurb

Still, I can see how DIY tiny homes would be a fun project, and even save some dollars (build for <$20k or even <$10k) if you were willing to sacrifice space...or if you want to increase space and move the teenage kids to a lot out the back.

MTR likes this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I would like to see tiny home villages in most cities, for short term (less than 5 years) rent by those on limited incomes due to divorce or unexpected unemployment ... not for long term social housing, which can attract the weirdos, but more for getting people who hit a short rough patch to get back on their feet

Baker likes this.
  19. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Lizzie likes this.
  20. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

Bumping an older thread.

Just came across this article that is relevant:

Family-of-four marks two years living in a tiny house on wheels - realestate.com.au

A Gold Coast family who downsized to crack the property market has lived in a tiny house on wheels for two years with two kids aged under two.

The tiny house cost about $100,000 from Queenland company, Aussie Tiny Houses. It sits on a tri-axle trailer and measures 7.2m long, 2.4m wide, and 4.3m high.

“It was our first-ever home to buy and now we are mortgage free,” Ms Wheeler said.

Anne11, MTR and Terry_w like this.