SA The state of Adelaide - no power

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by dabbler, 28th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Agree.. however this was a bit different to just a blackout.

The main issue was that it affected the entire state at once and happened just before peak hour. No traffic lights anywhere worked, trains and trams stopped so the city was just chaos and many people took hours to get home if they actually made it at all. No petrol stations were open so many people were leaving their cars and finding other ways to get home. Im sure many people went hungry tonight as no power to cook and nothing at all anywhere open. Complete shut down of a city of 1.5million people. Insane that it could happen in 2016 ... the storm wasnt that bad.

Perthguy and D.T. like this.
  2. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Transgrid of NSW was already sold to private corporations. If you need a complete NSW blackout, you would target Transgrid power lines. Ausgrid ones are only localised lower kV power lines.

3. Tattler

From what I heard is that somewhere near Port Augusta there was a break on the high voltage power lines causing this issue. Of course it is not just that but with the domino effect it causes the grid to be completely unbalanced and forced the authority to shut down the rest of the grid.

I studied power systems in my Uni days (in Adelaide mind you!) and it is a very complicated and delicate process to balance the supplies and the load across the network. it is much more than just connecting lines to homes and shops.

bob shovel and Nemo30 like this.
  4. Tattler

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2016
  5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Queensland (and other pacific nations) can endure days and weeks without electricity/water after a cyclone event. Its just about being prepared. Always have some fresh water, milk, tin food, essential items etc all stored away in case anything like this happens, plus make sure there is enough gas for the bbq to cook/heat water.

The event in SA more than likely caught people unaware and unprepared more than anything.

I have already got our cyclone kit ready for this season. We didn't have any last season, so I'm bracing for more than the normal 6 odd this summer.

pinkboy

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It'd all go to pot if Qld adopted daylight saving

MTR likes this.
  7. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Sorry my friends in Adelaide. Someone posted this and I thought it's funny.
    My thoughts are with you my friends, stay well. :)

Attached Files:

Gockie likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Perth power went out for 3 days a while ago. We must have fragile electricity infrastructure too.

9. Perthguy

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

But did it affect the whole state?

11. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Power came back on around 8pm.

From my house (high up) I could see main north road banked up. Was quite strange to see pure blackness all the way to city other than cars.

I didn't mind it. Drank a bottle of wine. Was nice to have everything slowly get dark with no artificial light for once.

samiam, Perthguy and Sackie like this.
  12. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

what's the situation now? Storm's coming our way (NSW)

13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I wonder whether this will push people to install batteries for their homes?

14. Perthguy

Looks like it could be bad.

"A vigorous low pressure system and associated cold front are moving across New South Wales today, with damaging winds forecast around the low as it moves through inland NSW, and with the front as it passes over the central and northern NSW ranges. Isolated thunderstorms that could produce damaging wind gusts are also possible with this system.

DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 50 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 90 km/h are forecast in the far west of New South Wales this afternoon and evening, as well as over the central and northern ranges and through the Hunter. Districts affected include the Upper and Lower Western, and parts of the Riverina, Central Tablelands, Hunter, Mid North Coast and Northern Tablelands. "​

New South Wales Severe Weather Warning 1

Yes. My parents are building in Adelaide and are talking about solar/battery. They have already started asking around for quotes. Word on the street is to hold off until the end of this year. New tech on the way or a price drop? I didn't quite pick up the exact reason.

kierank likes this.
  15. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

We are not in the dark anymore.
    Massive maintenance issues in property management but we have the light once again.

Sackie and Perthguy like this.
  16. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Power took a while last night to come back to the Adelaide Hills, luckily the two local pubs had generator power so they were chock full of people all night getting food and warmth. Came back around 10pm, but I've got a call from my wife at 5pm saying power is out again so I'll be staying working in the office until back on.

WattleIdo, Perthguy and Nemo30 like this.
  17. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Amazed that no one owns a generator. Must be a remote area/Qld/WA/NT thing to own one, especially businesses.
    Looked like a pretty nasty storm, there's nothing worse than losing power for a couple of days, third world living.

18. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

We got ours back about 7.30 last night. The storm is worse in Adelaide today than it was yesterday. The wind has picked up.

I think other parts of the state got hit badly yesterday.

19. jim1964

jim1964 1941

After 25 hours the power just went back on in Currency Creek, so far 70 mmof rain.You appreciate a hot shower more,we are on rainwater on pressure pumps,no power,no water for toilets,back to hand filling the cistern,wood fire with toasted marsh mellows was fun.The freezer was defrosting so i went and got some ice,40km round trip,filled the esky and hoped it wouldnt go off, only went shopping yesterday.I called our insurer about the frozen food spoiling,within 2 hours i had $500 in my account to buy more,Kudos RAA, my dogs ate well today.Any recommendations for a Gen? buying one in the morning........stay Dry.

20. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia