The salary you need to buy a home

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by MTR, 10th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    That's the salary required to purchase a median priced house in Sydney and I think that must be in $US.

Edit- I'm assuming the Australian figures are in US dollars as they don't really seem to make sense otherwise.

Last edited: 10th Oct, 2016
    Joynz likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Define "hard/easy" ;)

Can Australians purchase a U.S. property?

Yes, we can. Australian citizens can legally own real estate, establish a limited liability company and earn income in the U.S. Australia has a double tax agreement with the U.S., which allows you to purchase a U.S. property and still get tax benefits from the investment.​

Simplified, the process is:-

Form a Limited Liability Company
    Apply for a Individual Tax Identification Number
    Apply for an Employer Identification Number
    Set up a US bank account
    Options for purchase are: self fund, Australian loan, US loan
    1. for self funding you need to transfer the funds to the US
    2. for Australian loans you need to set up the loan then transfer
    3. for US loans you need to set up the US loan
    You will need an Australian tax accountant and maybe an Australian tax solicitor. In the US you will need a US tax accountant, US lawyer and a US real estate agent (at least).

That's all before you pick a property, which is a mission in itself.

3. property novice

property novice Active Member

Doesn't sound too bad. Just like you mention, with 2 tax accountant, 2 lawyer, and real estate agent sounds like a lot of money to waste. Of course its pay off if we can get a good IP

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I agree, but it's fun, there is also currency play here

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Easy to buy rubbish properties in US you do not need to be a citizen, harder to source properties that are suitable as a long term investment.
    Some markets are also very hot/competitive because there is very low inventory and the world is buying at the moment, 30 bids on one property not unusual, or property sold before you even get to view it.

I also don't know anyone in Australia as a foreign investor who has sourced finance at favourable US bank terms/interest rates. I have just managed to do this after many years of exhausting many avenues, but only because my business partner is a US citizen.

OP mentioned need a lawyer, US/Aus Accountant this is correct, but lawyer is a one off payment to set up LLC (Limited Liability Company) and finalise purchase no different to Australia. Accounting expenses are part of business no different to Australia.

SOULFLY3, Sackie and Perthguy like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It has paid off for me as I started investing in Atlanta, GA since 2011/12 my properties have gone from $35,000 purchases and today valued at around $150,000 each. I am starting to trade/sell these because I wont be paying CGT and just upgrade to new properties and better markets within Atlanta and buying land and developing as there is not enough stock to meet demand....

MTR:)

SOULFLY3 and Perthguy like this.
  7. Perthguy

Cost of doing business. High risk if you are not on the ground. Lots of Aussies got burned trying to be desktop investors or going over but hopping on a tour bus to be shown overpriced properties.

For people like @MTR who go over, get on the ground, develop the contacts etc, the rewards are there.

You can buy a fixer upper in Atlanta for $50k, arrange to have it renovated and sell for profit. There is nothing like that in Australia.

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There are plenty of investors around the world that have made a small fortune in US market, saw an opportunity and ran with it, 70% property crash in 2007, and now we are close to recovery.

I think I could have easily got burnt as well, I basically just networked with the right people who already had the notches on the board, it helped.
    Wont say we will not make any mistakes, but I am very comfortable where and what we are buying. Will post updates on our projects on another thread for those interested as we will be commencing build of 5 townhouses early next year, in the hottest hipster Ville area in Atlanta. Wont say too much more until it happens, currently with our architect.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Definitely drinks on you @MTR!

MikeyBallarat, Stoffo and MTR like this.
  10. Perthguy

Yeah, but I think that networking is really important. How do you think you would have gone if you tried to do the whole thing sitting at a computer in Perth? I could not do that but some Australians tried it and got burned.

Sackie likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

100%. I have said before I wouldn't have achieved even 50% without networking with other successful investors, developers, consultants etc. They are the only ones who count.

MTR, SOULFLY3 and Perthguy like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think we already know this but none the less interesting all the States with low income voted Trump, doing it tough.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think one missing factor not usually discussed in these comparisons is the differences in the cost of construction.

I would imagine that the cost to build in many parts of the US is significantly lower than in Australia - our minimum wages are quite a bit higher I believe?

Also, construction materials would matter too - how many locations are building double brick properties in the US? I know South Australia and Western Australia tends to favour brick-veneer or double brick construction which would add quite a bit to construction cost? Or doesn't it make much difference overall?

Anyway, would be interesting to see if there are stats to back these assumptions up?

14. Perthguy

Full brick vs brick veneer makes a big difference. BMT construction estimator for 200m2 (medium finish):
    4br Brick veneer SA: $341,677
    4br Full brick SA: $415,226

4br Brick veneer WA: $348,650
    4br Full brick WA: $423,700

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Build cost can be expensive in US similar to Australia but in certain States the land is what is cheap. We picked up a block of land to build single family home 50k, close to CBD Atlanta.
    In Australia dependent on State we know we will be paying a small fortune for land

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

How many people are building weatherboard clad houses in Australia? I get the impression it's more common in the US? Again I would assume there's a fairly significant difference in construction cost?

How about steel frame vs timber frame?

Don't get me wrong - I love a good bluestone fronted full brick house, but are we making things worse for ourselves affordability-wise by building such expensive houses?

Perhaps as density in our cities increases, that question starts to become moot as more and more people won't have a choice to live in a detached dwelling anyway.

17. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes.a lot would think this way...the only worthwhile place to buy is Sydney and that's it. else.. overseas or a different asset class.
    Pity because they have lost in terms of opportunity cost with this mindset.

18. Perthguy

@Simon Hampel good questions. I will look it up tomorrow. I can tell you from living in one that full brick is expensive but is not thermally efficient. I live in one now and the entire house becomes a heat store in summer. Even the internal brick walls are warm to touch.

I understand that other building materials are more thermally efficient, are cheaper to build and cheaper to operate.

@Aaron Sice might know more about the details. I know he feels very strongly about this.

19. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Wall material Overall R value
    Weatherboard 0.55
    Brick veneer 0.51
    Cavity brick 0.53
    Solid brick (230mm thick) 0.44
    Solid concrete (100mm thick) 0.23
    Solid concrete (200mm thick) 0.30
    Aerated concrete (100mm block) 0.78
    Aerated concrete (200mm block) 1.54
    Mud brick (300mm block) 0.40
    Source: Sustainability Victoria - Insulation types INFO fact sheet

Note: the higher the R value the lower the thermal transmittance called U value. So high R value = good....

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Too much stuff in houses costs too much money.

I mean, floating toilets? Stacking rocks for 6m in the air? Curtain walling made of retractable glass screens (bifolds)? Water proofing to the ceiling? What are you doing in there?

Simple never goes out of style.

Simple though, not simplistic.

MikeyBallarat, MTR and Perthguy like this.