Sports & Fitness The Running Thread (All Abilities)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

It's probably closer to 4-5 months thinking about it, certainly only dropped below 80 since quitting the meat & dairy though. Best I ever managed in the passed, including the days of putting in 1000k a month on the bikes, was about 83kg.

I've still a layer of fat that could go if I got serious about it, I'm not that muscular since giving the gym away years back, but to be honest, its costing me a fortune in new clothes as it is! Don't want to drop any more then have to buy another round of jeans & t-shirts!

2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

The health benefits of being a lighter weight will far outweigh spending more money on clothes.

paulF and Propagate like this.
  3. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@Propagate , i hope you and the misses kick the flu away sooner rather than later.

As per Ace above, Loosing weight is a massive thing when it comes to running. I notice that my running suffers relative to how much weight i put on and it's usually muscle weight and not fat as i'm pretty cut all year long but just not a big eater.

Dropping Alcohol is another massive boost especially if you want to loose fat. I'm not a big drinker but even a few sittings(anything more than 4 drinks is binge drinking) a months can stuff up my progress. Actually considering dropping alcohol completely this summer but that would kill my social life...

4. Propagate

Thanks @paulF - I'm just about over it, Emma's slowly picking up now, it hit her real hard this time around, That's as sick as I've seen her in 20 years.

Be interesting to see how the weight loss goes on the MTB tomorrow, haven't ridden my mountain bike in anger since losing the 12kg. Mind you, I've not ridden much at all the last 2 months so I'm far from bike fit just now. Could be an interesting day. I've transferred my entry from the 70k loop to the 45k, I could have soldiered around the 70 on residual bike fitness (wouldn't have been pretty though) but not straight off the back of the Flu too.

I find it hard to regulate the drink, like most things I do it's usually all or nothing. I may try and give the drinking away this summer too, see how that goes.

turk and paulF like this.
  5. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Enjoy your race and good to hear the misses is getting over it!

Yeah the drink is really hard to regulate especially on social occasions. My circle of friends and family love their binge drinking sessions and it got to a point were it was happening too often to my liking so been very firm about it lately. A few drinks and that's it but i don't mind the occasional binge session but can definitely feel/see the effects of it!

Propagate and turk like this.
  6. Ace in the Hole

Did my fat test this morning using some InBody testing unit.
    These things are quite accurate so I thought I'd be higher fat than what I imagined.
    42 years old, 183cm - 79.4kg.
    8.5% body fat.

Says I've got 6.7kg of body fat.
    Not a lot to play with there and I don't look shredded yet, so will probably have to get down to at least 6% to look ripped and want to lose at least a few kg to improve power to weight ratio.

Last edited: 2nd Sep, 2017
    Propagate, paulF and turk like this.
  7. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Doing a half marathon tomorrow at Sydney Olympic Park, as well as the Blackmores one in 2 weeks time.

Anyone else participating?

Hodor, Propagate, paulF and 1 other person like this.
  8. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@Ace in the Hole , that's some awesome numbers! Seems like all that sprinting(HIIT) you've been doing is paying off.

Good luck @marty998 !

9. marty998

Thankyou! Happy with the result today... 2:03! Having never run more than about 12k's before this was well and truly new territory.

It is not nice getting lapped on a 3 lap course, but wow, it's great to tick off another goal this year.

10. Propagate

Great work @marty998 How did you pull up today after that?

I had a ball in the MTB race on Saturday, not much in the way of singletrack, it was more a dirt road course for CX bikes with an MTB category. I forgot how much fun it is at the events, (I always hated the actual racing but love the vibe at the events and hanging out with your mates). I went pretty hard to the first feed zone and felt surprisingly good given the lack of riding recently, dropping that bit of weight made more difference than I was expecting when it came to the hills! Felt like I was flying up them.

I hung around t the feed zone for my mates and we rode the back half together, finished as a group pretty much mid-pack of our category.

The best bit of bike racing..... The beer tent at the end!!

Instagram post by Numbnuts • Sep 2, 2017 at 2:13am UTC

Backed it up yesterday with a 10k trail run, wanted to just go out and turn the legs over after Saturday, ran to "feel" (ignored the HR and pace on the watch), and had one of those rare runs where I just grinned from ear to ear the whole way! It was fiercely windy, cold and muddy and wet on my home trail but I enjoyed every second of that run yesterday and I'd pulled a PB on the home trial when I checked Strava later.

Couple of day rest now, Yin Yoga tonight (easy, relaxing one), Flow Yoga tomorrow night then I'll get a run in on Wednesday. Hopefully get a decent trail run in this weekend weather & mates dependent.

paulF likes this.
  11. marty998

I love those type of runs - always nicer running without reference to a clock. One day I do want to do a mountain bike stage race... probably when I'm all FI and done with the corporate world.

Pulled up a little sore, but a warm down at the local pool helped a lot. Knee tendons on the sides of my legs were a little, ahem, tender, but they seem fine now.

paulF and Propagate like this.
  12. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Have a look at ITB friction syndrome-causes and treatments.

Hodor likes this.
  13. Propagate

Hopefully those runs will happen more and more as I get stronger and they become less of a chore!

Stage races are cool, I raced the 2011 Cape-to-Cape in WA, great excuse for a holiday. Racing was over by lunch time most days so had the afternoons & evening to spend with the better half and the mornings to race.

I tried to race the Hellfire Cup in Tasmania twice... 1st year bush fires ripped through the area 2 weeks out and it was cancelled, so we went anyway as everything was booked and we just rode the awesome trails around Hobart & Launceston. We went back for the re-run the next year only I got a severe shingles a month before (it almost took my sight in one eye!). I went anyway to support my mate but I could barely walk let alone ride or race, that year they had biblical floods and all stages were re-routed. The whole camp site & event center had to be moved on the second day as it was going underwater.

We called it a sign and never entered again, instead opting for heading to Tassie every year and just riding the amazing trails there with a bunch of mates. Derby in North East is full on, World Trail have built an amazing set of trails up there, we try and get there every December for a week. Go over on the Spirit of Tasmania night ferry with all your gear, great fun.

The race vibe and event centers are awesome but I always found racing too stressful to really enjoy. I much prefer just heading away for a boys weekend or a road trip and just hitting some new trails at our own pace.

paulF likes this.
  14. Ace in the Hole

Ran the Wanda Sandhills this afternoon for a change, the sand was so soft and loose.
    7 flat out sprints all around 13s each until I started to feel nauseous.
    Had to leave soon anyway to pick up the daughter from school, that was my excuse to quit anyway...
    It's good to get a high intensity running workout in without the high impact for once.

No issues but hamstrings were fatiguing from doing glute ham raises yesterday, particularly the outer hamstring tendon behind the knee.

Propagate likes this.
  15. therealAusting

therealAusting Well-Known Member

Can I ask if anyone on here could recommend a running shoe that is EE or EEE (wide) sizing.

Currently using ASIC 2150 size 12 but they are getting impossible to find now. I know ASICs make wide sizes in the newer models but would like to try another brand. I need arch support as well.

Any other wide footed souls (sole's) out there with similar feet?

16. Propagate

I don't have particularly wide feet @recalcitrant but I do like a wide toe box. I love my Under Armour Speed Tire Ascent Low. No idea if they are particularly wide but they're a lot wider than what I used to wear. If you're in Melbourne there's an Under Armour store in Chadstone that carries their whole range.

therealAusting likes this.
  17. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Go to the podiatrist My Foot Doctor and they will measure and order in a brand called DrComfort. Note these suit flat footed giants in need of arch supports and / or orthotics up to size 16 not necessarily elite athletes.

therealAusting likes this.
  18. therealAusting

Thanks Propogate, I will try and try on a pair of these in Sydney

Propagate likes this.
  19. therealAusting

Hi Heinz, I didn't want to get a specially made pair. Just looking for off the shelf wide shoes.

20. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Hi
    I used to run in the old asics wide running shoes but found the newer models weren't as good
    I'm running in Hokas' at the moment and they are much better
    I have wide flat feet and they are the most comfortable I've come across