Sports & Fitness The Running Thread (All Abilities)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

There's a lot of static/isometric stuff that will really smash your abs/core/back.
    Stuff like L-Sits are awesome.
    All the gymnastic strength stuff is good.
    Just be sure to go through the progressions and not jump right into the difficult exercises without having built a base, as that is the road to injury or poor future development due to muscle weakness compensations/imbalances.

Propagate likes this.
  2. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Well, I did my first park run today and really enjoyed it. I wasn't the oldest but was definitely the fattest.. everyone made me very welcome and I now have a time to beat. Plus I now know how far 5kms is.

Hodor, vbplease, paulF and 3 others like this.
  3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Great work @Heinz57 ! Looking forward to hearing how your Park Runs go from hereon in. I'd never heard of Park Run before but kept riding passed a big group of local runners the odd Saturday morning, then heard the term, then clicked as to what it was. Such a diverse range of people at our local Park Run it would seem, big, little, old, young, male, female, fast and slow and everything in between. I've said this earlier I think, but running seems like a really all-encompassing passtime, heaps of encouragement at and from all levels. I've cycled for years and have a great bunch of mates from it but the competition side of recreational cycling feels way more serious than that amongst social runners.

4. Propagate

Hopefully I've turned a corner with the injuries now. The back came good very quickly this time. Last time it went like that it was 3-4 weeks before I could do anything active, this time I went from a hobbling mess to walking and bending within a few days and was back running and Yoga the following Sunday! (5-6 days all up). So whilst it was twisting in Yoga that triggered it I think the last few months of Yoga 3-4 times a week had given my overall core strength a great boost and helped overcome it much quicker than usual. Just have to be careful with how deep I go into some of the poses, particularly any twisting ones.

So, I ran a nice cruisey Bushrangers Bay Trail Run last Sunday, 11k and great trails. Nice soft surface and lots of side-side trail type running really helped the hip not lock up, I felt it was there and made sure to keep stretching it out. Ran with a mate, social pace with plenty of photo stops. Pulled up great.

Backed it up on Wednesday with a 10k mostly pavement local loop (uphill out into a fierce 45kph headwind). I made sure I did a lot of side steps stretches during a a few leg swings, it really helped the hip not get stuck into a position where it started giving me grief. Pulled up OK at the end of that, (kept the pace down and watched form the whole time).

Then had a trail run hit out yesterday whilst the sun was out. A fairly flat 15k loop on mixed surfaces, watched the form again, lots of dynamic stretches during and stopped a couple of times for a good stretch. No issues with the back and hip, calves felt it mind you, they're pretty tired today. Felt slow all up but looking at my pace it was pretty consistent and, although slightly slower than the last time I did the same loop, I pulled up feeling great and like I could put in another (slow) 5k. The last time I did that loop I was not ready for jumping up to 15k, and although I ran it l little faster than this time I was absolutely trashed in the last couple of k's and really struggled to reach the car when I knew how close I was to then end. So ,I am definitely seeing the difference in terms of overall running endurance ability.

All in all very please with this weeks progress.

Ill look at another couple of 10k's in the week than maybe push the weekend run out to 17-18k all being well.

Having said that, it's Audax season soon, I have a big ride coming up in the Strezlecki Ranges in 2 weeks and I haven't ridden in almost 2 months! Probably should dig the bike out and clock a few k's in the next couple of weeks I guess.

How'd everyone else's week go?

paulF and Heinz57 like this.
  5. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Nice recovery. Do you think it was the yoga?

Propagate likes this.
  6. Ace in the Hole

Good stuff @Propagate
    All is not lost, the hard work pays off when you need it the most.

Propagate likes this.
  7. Propagate

The back is an old recurring issue. The hip is a new issue since yoga. I think the yoga aggravated both, but I also think the yoga overall has helped both come good quicker than normal (and many other benefits).

I think the biggest issue is running about like a 20 year old in my 40's! Just have to remember to keep it steady and build up slowly. I think the biggest contributor to the injuries has been going too hard, too soon. I've said earlier in this thread I think, that my engines great from years of cycling but getting the legs (in particular all the interconnecting tendons and ligaments) run-strong takes a long time and must be done gradually, so whilst the mind, lungs, heart and quads have been raring to go all the other important bits have needed to catch up. 25 years as a desk jockey and never having had any interest in running until this year hasn't helped.

8. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Great to hear your back at it @Propagate , keep it up.

Last week wasn't the best of them for myself as i was a bit run down with a cold but still did my usual scheduled runs.Also, a Motorcycle accident threw me off my pace a bit but i was lucky not to get any injuries this time...
    Did an exciting hike too over the weekend at Werribee Gorge state park. Lots of uphill so felt really good but the downhills were pretty awful on the knees! Hoping to add a hard hike every fortnight moving forward now that the weather is clearing up a bit in Melbourne.

9. Propagate

Motorcycle accident! @paulF glad you're in one piece and OK. Much damage to the bike?

Hike sounds good, that's the next stage for me once I'm happy with my 10-15k runs, add in some dirt-vert.

paulF likes this.
  10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Cheers @Propagate ,
    yeah the bike is good even though i hit the Ute on the left side of the bike and obviously dropped it on the right side. I thad some scratches and a minor broken fairing that i already fixed. I was on my KLR650(It's a pretty rugged bike as you can see from the photo) , the workhorse and not the weekend toy, Yamaha R1 which would have been in pieces due to lots more fairing on it.

Attached Files:

• klr.jpg
      klr.jpg
      File size:
      236.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Propagate

Glad it wasn't too serious then @paulF

I always wanted a bike, daren't now, I reckon I'd be a typical "Born Again Biker" and write myself off within the first 6 months.

paulF likes this.
  12. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

How is everyone travelling with their running?

My winter running season is done and dusted and most importantly injury free from a running perspective! First Winter in years with no injuries so obviously learning from past mistakes!

Biggest take away was that sometimes less is more! I just rested when i needed to or postponed a workout till the next day when i'm a bit more rested. Much better than pushing to a breaking point and then getting injured and picking up the pace from there.

On a side note, we had an interesting development at work this week that should have a good impact on my running and that is standing desks. Hoping that my hip flexors would loosen a bit due to standing up more so fingers crossed!

Propagate likes this.
  13. Propagate

Nice work on a good winter season @paulF

Been the usual up & down, 2 steps forward, one back for me. Had that great week with 3 good runs then copped a dose of Flu! Emma had it terrible, blood tests confirmed Influenze 'A', she was in bed for 9 days, it really hit her hard and she's ended up with a chest infection. So, as soon as I started showing signs I went to see the Doc and they confirmed Flu too via blood test so they got me straight on Tamiflu, being that I got on it early it really helped the severity. I only had 2 days in bed and another 4-5 of just feeling ******. Thankfully, it's stayed off my chest this time.

Had a slow hit out Wednesday, just to turn everything over a bit and wake the body back up. It wasn't too bad.

Got an MTB "race" tomorrow, (race in the loosest sense, it's a race but I'll be cruising up the back of the pack enjoying the scenery), then back into building up the running K's again from Monday.

paulF likes this.
  14. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Started back running this week after 4 months of no exercise due to lack of motovation.

Will be concentrating on strength and conditioning and less running, around 3 weight sessions along with 2/3 30/60 minute run/walk sessions this week.

paulF and Propagate like this.
  15. Ace in the Hole

Anterior shin splints for me at the moment, first time in my life.
    Weird because for the last 2 years have only ever had posterior shin splints on and off.
    Always got one issue, then it moves to another place, then another place, etc.
    Can't remember the last time I was completely injury free.

16. Propagate

Bugger, what's the deal with overcoming those? @Ace in the Hole Rest or are there active things you can do?

Seems to be that as you get on top of one thing, something else rears up - must be a balance/mechanics thing. I'm hoping the yoga is helping me with that, it seems to be. Being mindful of the mechanics of every part of the body and trying to not let strong parts compensate for weak parts just because thats subconscious path of least resistance.

17. Propagate

Nice work on the standing desk by the way @paulF I put one in my office a few months back, it's great. I have to say, it was murder on the calves at first! Start slowly, 10 minutes max per hour and build up.

paulF likes this.
  18. Ace in the Hole

Yeah, seems to be the weakest link that goes.
    But something is bound to happen as one gets stronger in different parts of their body, there will always be something lagging to catch up on.
    My break in period for getting into sprinting has been 2 years now and the weaknesses have come and gone, so hopefully there is not much left to get strengthened and conditioned to be able to be a complete and unbroken athlete.

I'd still like to drop a few kg in the form of body fat in the next couple of months which will hopefully lessen the impact of sprinting and improve my power to weight ratio.
    Getting an accurate body fat scan done tomorrow.

paulF likes this.
  19. Propagate

Sounds like you're on the way there mate.

I'm just over 6'1 and in the last 3 months I've gone from 87kg & 19% body fat to 75kg and 14% (just measured on a Fitbit scale so not super accurate, but shows the trend the right way).

It has made a A MASSIVE difference to my running and just my general movements, plus the Yoga 4x per week for the last two months is paying dividends in the strength & flexibility department.

I have to say, since ditching all meat & Dairy products almost 2 months ago I feel the best I've felt in my life, and I've always felt pretty good to be honest but I recover much quicker after a run now, I've a clarity of mind that I don't remember ever having. Mood is mood more stable generally, (I put that down to both diet and the Yoga), I feel lighter and just kind of well inside. I ate very little processed stuff anyway, but hardly any now, just masses of fresh fruit and veg, grains, beans, legumes & nuts etc.

I just have to work on cutting back the booze a bit now ;-)

Hodor, paulF and vbplease like this.
  20. Ace in the Hole

That's a big weight drop in 3 months @Propagate
    You must be feeling much better.
    Imagine wearing a 12kg weight vest as you run now, it would slow you down massively and probably injure you.

I'd love to get down to 75kg at 6ft tall, currently dead on 80kg.
    I'll see how much more fat I can lose as I reckon I'm close to 10% at the moment, but will see what the test says tomorrow.