Sports & Fitness The Running Thread (All Abilities)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Last edited: 4th Oct, 2020
  2. random

random Well-Known Member

Just wondering .
    People in a thread like this probably know a lot about foods and weight .
    l was running btw but haven't last few yrs l do a lot though, physical job and my properties are a lot of work.
    thing is last 6-12 mths mt mid sections rather grown. l usually easily control that by just cutting back on dairy and take away , few things like that and it'll disappear.
    Lately though it's getting stubborn and my partner is here full time so we're living on her cooking.
    lt's pretty good stuff she knows food and only weighs 49kg herself and l get way more veggies than l do when she's not here , and very little take away because she's always cooking and way better stuff than l make when she's not here.
    Yet the mid section is kinda still expanding lately, can't for the life of me figure out how though.

l only drink light milk , most of her food is veggie things , a heap of potato though , fair bit of cheese too ,she says we have a lot of bread too, but it is always whole grain stuff.

Still , hardly any take away or in between stuff like l do on my own , 3 or 4 good meals a day , great cereal and fruit breaky , yet the mid section is still growing . l'd normally be back in shape on this amount of food a day butttt, it ain't happening.

Are any of those really bad for male tummies?

3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

@random Getting older? (not meant as offensive, just that we need less calories as we age - I need to fact check that, something I always thought I knew but have never actually looked into it).

When I ditched all meat and dairy I steadily dropped 10kg without really changing my activity level or food volume (I eat a LOT, I love food).

Anecdotally, stuff that eat that I can literally watch weight go on almost immediately are bread, muesli (with muesli I think its a case of if you weigh out what one portion should be it's hardly worth getting the bowl dirty for, my muesli bowls would be 7-8x a recommended serving at a guess), and beer. In fact bread and beer probably put weight on me for the same reason as muesli, I think it's a valume thing. We bake our own bread and I can smash half a loaf in a morning easily, nothing like freshly baked bread!

Are you spending less time on your feet generally since Covid lockdowns? Amazing how many calories you burn if you're in an active job, on your feet all day as opposed to the likes of me chained to a desk for 11 hours a day.

4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Can only comment on what works for me @random, I find I am leanest when

I have oats for breakfast everyday made into porridge with water (no milk). If cooked and stirred in a pan it comes up really nice, in the microwave I hate it. Add whatever fruit I have around - favorites are sultana, apple and cinnamon or a spoon of peanut butter, banana, cacao powder and a couple of chopped dates.

Only drink water (a coffee in the morning and herbal tea at night) - No alcohol, milk etc.

Minimal animal products (meat and dairy) - relatively calorie dense

Do weights twice a week+ and run four times or so

Not often 100% complaint with everything, usually with close.

I don't tend to eat much bread or have sweets and don't add sugar and rarely salt. I have huge serves of potato, rice and pasta all the time.

always around 77-78kg at 185cm for reference.

5. Gockie

My 9yo nephew in year 4 won the cross country. He had to run 2km.

So.... I quote brother in law (*names removed).... “After his sister (year 6) saw him win his event she was motivated to win so he could not say he was better than her. She won by 100m.”

Her race was 3km. So, they both won their respective events.

I don’t know the times but he runs 2km in under 9 min 20 secs.

If I have a race (say 50m) against him, he is faster than me. :eek:

Anyway, both are physically very capable.

6. Gockie

A bit more detail. Their primary school has 1118 enrolments. They are fast! Also, they each have to pay $10 to attend zone and transport is not provided so it's up to the parents to sort that out. With 48 kids who qualify, shouldn't the school provide a bus?

7. devank

devank Well-Known Member

My U13 daughter came 6th in zone cross-country. I believe the top 10 goes to regionals.

The last time I monitored, she did 3kms in 14:30 min at her school. Her pace is amazingly consistent. Now, I want to increase her pace slowly little by little.

Is there any smartwatch that can monitor the pace and alert the runner? Her wrist is very skinny. Can anyone recommend any non-apple product?

8. Gockie

She probably beat my niece! Nephew did awesome though. I don't know why but they call the next level "area". 20210504_215520.jpg

Last edited: 4th May, 2021
    devank likes this.
  9. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Anything under 5min per km is amazing!
    My U9 boy did 1.5kms in 8:30 today. We both agreed to bring that down to 7:30!
    He negotiated a X-box (or similar) if he gets into States. I don't think he understands how hard it is to go through School -> Zone -> Regionals and then only States ;)

Gockie likes this.
  10. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Look how happy they are :).

What watch is she wearing?

11. Gockie

I'll see if I can find out.

12. Gockie

She said "I have a Garmin viviofit4 but I wouldn’t recommend it.The screen protector fell off."

Note, she's probably 12 years old, so what she thinks is important mightn't match to what you think is important :)

devank likes this.
  13. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Thanks for following it up.
    I'm getting the Garmin Forerunner 45S. It is designed for runners. Smallest but decent I could find.
    [​IMG]

Gockie likes this.
  14. devank

devank Well-Known Member

upload_2021-5-15_18-59-55.png
    Using the Gamin Forerunner 45S I got plenty of stats today.
    She is running at very consistent pace (5min/km) over 4kms. Her race will be 3km. How do I increase her speed?
    She is 12.5 years old. Her younger brother (almost 10.5 years old) kept up with her all the way.. and plenty of energy to play soccer after that :rolleyes:

Last edited: 15th May, 2021
  15. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

How's every ones running going? Hopefully still active in current lockdowns and harsh winter weather.

16. Gockie

I had dropped off for a while, but now that we are back in lockdown, I had started doing it (running up and down my hill) again. I've had a huge work project since March, that's in its final stages right now, thank goodness. Did the deployment last weekend (many, many hours worked on it) and just need to finish tying up some loose ends now. Hope to be able to get in and do some local trail running too, just haven't been able to get the time (I only want to do it in daylight). Haven't unicycled much though, miss going on group rides.

paulF likes this.
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Propagate - this thread has been running too long :rolleyes:

PS Congrats on 4 yrs.

paulF likes this.
  18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

So I recently decommissioned one of the small private discussion forums I was running, which freed up a software license for other things.

While I'm not a runner myself, my son is - and I'm heavily involved in the Little Athletics club that he competes for.

I get asked a lot of questions about athletics - espcially from parents of kids looking to transition from Little Athletics to senior athletics, so I figured there's probably a heap of other people out there looking for information too.

As a result - last weekend, I threw together a new site aimed at Athletics (track & field) and running in general.

It's brand new - not much content there yet, and I'm not quite sure what categories we'll need or what direction the discussion will go in - but we can adjust things along the way.

It would be great if some of our PropertyChatters could come over and kick-start some discussions - whether you are into competitive running, or just running for fun and fitness.

Suggestions and feedback always welcome!

AthleticsChat :: Athletics and Running Community

paulF and vbplease like this.
  19. Gockie

I've shared it on my FB.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  20. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Let me know when CyclingChat opens up and I'll be happy to contribute content. Once we get them hooked, we can Patreon it and retire. Or more likely, retyre (i.e. enough money for one set of new rubber).

Scott No Mates and vbplease like this.