Sports & Fitness The Running Thread (All Abilities)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

That's an idea, I'll consider doing that if nothing else works out.
    Could have probably done it on an iWatch.
    My wife bought me on a couple of Christmas' ago and I gave it back to her, I don't like over complicating things....simple is good.

2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

The Quadlock mount system is great, I have them on the bikes, the car dash and the arm band. It's actually very unobtrusive for an arm band mount as it locks the back of phone case on, not a massive coverall job.

The Interval app I use is called Seconds Pro. I don't have a Apple Watch but form a quick Googly it seems there's a watch companion app for it too.

3. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Agree @Ace in the Hole
    I was after a watch that would beep at certain minutes on my 30 k run
    Wife bought me a fitbit but that couldn't do it
    So I've got a $3 watch and look at the k marks I've painted on the road
    Anyone know of one that beeps at intervals?
    That's all I want, don't need heart rate etc. I know if I'm struggling!!

Propagate likes this.
  4. Ace in the Hole

I've actually got that app on my phone already, but only the free version, might need to upgrade to get more features?

5. Ace in the Hole

There's got to be something.

I just want to learn how to pace my middle distance runs, 400m, 800m, 1500m/mile per 100m or 200m split.

6. Propagate

Love it, that's a real runner right there, painting your own K markers.... :D

ChrisP73 and RS Gumby like this.
  7. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

8. Ace in the Hole

RS Gumby likes this.
  9. Propagate

Nice one, looks like it's exactly what you were after.

10. Ace in the Hole

Yeah, GymBoss has been around for ages, but I didn't know there was a more advanced mini version, also available with wristband so it is basically what I was looking for :)

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

i have an old garmin 220 that i got off gumtree ( around $50). It is basic and only does running. You can program your own interval training, it doesnt beep but vibrates on your wrist. i have only recently worked this out. You need it hooked up to a computer to sync the training you set
    upload_2019-10-25_6-19-0.png

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Running Wild | Mt Solitary

13. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

First setback, got a calf strain/tear in the same calf I tore badly skiing last year. Been niggling for the past few weeks and was hoping it would sort out with stretching etc was getting a little better then a little worse. Yesterday I felt it and just managed to finished my run (probably not clever) and ended up limping once I cooled down. Will need a week or two at least I would think, before building back into running. Also need to find a sports physio who is good with active recovery around the shire area preferably. Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Hoping I can jump on a bike and at least do some low intensity stuff to keep the cardio base ticking over a few times a week. Getting back into hard running without risking injury is going to be tough now. Very annoyed as everything was going so well.

Nice! Look forward to catching up for a lap or two (pending the above!). Entry hasn't opened up yet so need to keep an eye out, so many trail runs seem to be sold out these days.

UTA is all hills from what I understand so that's a good training plan there.

I don't know anything about doing a training plan, I was just following what I was told to do which was working.

Seems most plans follow some basics each week.
    - Long easy run
    - Speed work session/tempo running
    - Hill runs

From there they throw in a splatter of other stuff from what I have seen depending on the authors beliefs.

My panic at running 100km was just starting to ease until I got this injury

bob shovel likes this.
  14. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Thanks, I have seen that one. I am unfortunately working that day currently, it might be smart to change work and get some on course and race experience. I'll keep it in mind.

The other thing I am looking for is a half marathon on a flat course as I currently don't have anything to seed me and would start in the last wave. Getting seeded would give me around an extra hour daylight time running which I see as very important after trying a night run on trails.

15. Ace in the Hole

Thanks.
    The programming options look good but not sure I'd always feel the vibrate.
    I just bought the mini GymBoss and will see how that goes.

bob shovel likes this.
  16. Ace in the Hole

This distance running, (mid-distance) is hard !
    I think I'm going to stick with sprints/power events, going to train for decathlon/pentathlon so 1,500m is the longest.

I've only ever run up to 200m in training for years, but mostly very short sprints to 60m, except for a single practice 400m a week ago.
    On Wednesday last week ran a spontaneous race in 2'20s - slower than Kipchoge's marathon pace !!!
    So there's a 2,000m race coming up this week and I tried running a 1'30/400m pace on my treadmill by setting it's max speed of 14km/h at a 6 deg incline.
    Was going alright and then I just died at 900m !

Probably going to have to build up the aerobic system very gradually over time.
    Anyway, it will be the only endurance event I'll have to do in the multi events so pretty low priority at this stage, but always fun to add new skills.

Propagate and paulF like this.
  17. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Another major factor in determining your most suitable running category your build @Ace in the Hole

Some builds are simply not made for long distance running like stocky builds.

Kipchoge weighs 57kgs and he's 1.67 m so he's body is most suitable for long distance running as opposed to sprinters who are bulkier and stronger which i'm guessing the category you belong to.

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  18. Ace in the Hole

Damn, I didn't know he is so tiny !!!
    No wonder he can fly around the course.

Weight definitely changes things, alot.
    I was researching the other day about shoe weight and just 100g difference in shoe weight makes about 1% difference in race times.

19. Propagate

Bummer about the calf @Hodor hopefully you can get on top of it and it doesn't go feral on you. The hardest (but most sensible) thing to do when you're injured is stop and rest, lost count how many injuries I've had in the coming up 3 years since I started. All have been down to pushing too hard too soon as a new runner. From plantar fasciates at the start, a blown calf a few months in, hip tendonitus after that, IT band issues, hip again, back (although that one's genetic), through to toes and now both knees. For me, every one has been a combination of doing too much too soon with the added binus that I seem to break pretty easily to begin with. Lol, if my body was half as strong as my bloody-mindedness I'd be an unstoppable machine!

Had my first cold in over 2 years last week. It came and went in 3 days then just left me a bit flat for a week, so I haven't done any exercise for 9 days. Got back on the treadmill last night for an easy 5k, you'd think after a weeks rest I'd be feeling great. Engine was OK, feet and toes and knees didn't like it one bit though. Feel worse today than when I was running daily.

2 weekends out from the Goldfields MTB trip, Ill be going into that massively underdone this time. Hoping I've got enough bike fitness to at east enjoy the trip and not feel like it's just one massive slog.

paulF likes this.
  20. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

How long was the race ace?

Did you do your 2km race? How was it?

I was speaking with a 5km runner, she can easily go sub 20mins. Running for 7km she can't hold 6:00min/pace after the first five. Amazing how tuned the body/mind can be to a distance and how quickly it can give up.