Sports & Fitness The Running Thread (All Abilities)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

My arse is giving me major issues with repeat sprints of 200m +
    No issues doing 12 x 100m repeat sprints, but did some 200's/300's this morning and after the 3rd rep my glutes and hammies are locked up super tight.
    Same thing happened the last few times I've tried these distances.
    Need to find a way to overcome this very low lactate threshold that's happening right now.

2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Is it the lactate or have you got super tight glutes & hammies generally? I thought I was fairly flexible down there until stating the Yoga - my word, I literally have zero flexibility as yet. Just sitting straight is enough to give me a good stretch whilst the rest of them in there are kissing the floor between their feet!

3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Definitely lactic constriction.
    I've got quite flexible glutes/hams, but tight hip flexors which I stretch as much as I can.
    I do a few 400m warm up laps before I start dynamically warming up for sprints, and have no problem at that stage.
    I think I'm just going to build up very slowly to the longer sprints and see how that goes.

Propagate likes this.
  4. Propagate

How's this for timing.... my office is opposite a manky, muddy old small oval. The council must have had a bit of budget left to dump before EOFY so they've just finished weeding it, flattening it, reseeding the bald bits, putting drainage in AND a ripper little track around the outside in crushed rock/sand. I went and walked it a few laps today with Strava to measure it. 300 meters around. Absolutely perfect to work out some speed/sprint training on!

paulF likes this.
  5. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

18 minute 5k is pretty impressive!

I'm a keen runner, couldn't live without it. I'm training for my 4th marathon, which will be Melbourne in mid October. Looking for at least a 30 minute PB, based on some proper training this year. My goal in the next couple of years is to qualify for Boston.

158, paulF and Propagate like this.
  6. Propagate

Boston! Nice. Good luck getting down to the qualifying time @mrdobalina be interesting to see your progress over the next couple of years then and see your times come down. Do you have a coach or self training?

mrdobalina likes this.
  7. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

Wow a couple of keen runners here. I still remember when I started running - couldn't even get around the oval for a full lap before having to walk. Took me ages to build up to to a decent distance.

I'm trying to get back into running this year; but it will take me ages to get back to where I was (if I ever will....). Might have a go at a half marathon later this year (might be able to sneak in a sub 2 hour if I'm lucky). Not much chance of a PB though!

158, paulF and Propagate like this.
  8. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@mrdobalina ,
    Boston would be an amazing run and definitely needs some proper training from what i can see on their qualifying times!
    My last serious run was a Half Marathon Trail run in 2013/2014 from memory on the Great Ocean road. It was an Xterra event at Anglesea and i did the race in 01:26:44. Hardest race i've ever done but by far the most rewarding.
    I have lost my stamina for long runs as i don't do them anymore but my short distance speeds (5-6km) have picked up a lot.Been trying to convince myself to race lately with no luck...

@Propagate , great opportunity in regards to the oval. Running on a good surface helps a lot. I live opposite to a public reserve with a pristine AFL oval . I do laps around it when i feel my legs getting heavy from running on hard surfaces. Boring but sure helps!

mrdobalina and Propagate like this.
  9. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Yeah, the qualifying times are pretty insane. I never thought it would be possible for me. I'm still far off, but at least it's a motivational excuse to keep run running!

paulF likes this.
  10. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Great to see mrdobalina is doing the Melbourne Marathon this year - I am too, anyone else?

11. Propagate

My plan was to, but that 5 week layoff with ruptured disc put me back too far. A couple of mates want to do the half which I should be able to do by then but I think I may only have one in me (not a big fan of crowds) so would rather wait until I can attempt the full distance. Aiming for next years!

RS Gumby likes this.
  12. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

I was a total non-runner also (i'm talking being the slowest kid in my class in primary and high school) until I started rowing during uni and then running became part of crew selection so I had to start running. (this was around 10 years ago). I then got into running a bit more about 8 years ago when my friend and I decided to train for a half marathon. I'm not particularly fast (ran 3 HM's in about 3 years) and always wanted to break the 2 hour mark but always got just slightly over! (2.03 etc). Fun fact: about 3 months before my now husband and I met, we ran the same HM and we got almost exactly the same time- just a few seconds apart!
    During the last probably 3-4 years I've been a pretty lazy runner- running 1-2 times a week around 5kms. I do C2S every year but don't train for it.
    BUT! Now that i've read through this thread i'm super motivated to start again! There really is nothing like that running high and slight feeling of exhaustion after a nice long run :)

13. Propagate

Great story about you and your husbands times before you met @jodes

Looks like we've got a right little PChat running community going on here!

I've just arranged tomorrows social run with my two buds, 12k middle section of the Two Bays Trail on the Mornington Peninsula. Starting at the high point and running down toward Cape Schank. Looks like the weather is going to turn it on again for us too! Can't wait.

Bayview and paulF like this.
  14. Propagate

How were your weekend runs?

We had a blast on the Two Bays Trail, what a sensational place to run. Running from Browns Road to Boneo Road is a great downhill gradient, (after the initial warm up uphill!) just a fun, flowing trail, only saw one other person and such a variety of terrain and flora. Every few k you seemed to be somewhere completely different to the last.

The weather turned it on again too, very cold at the start but sensational clear blue skies and not a breath of wind.

Nice and slow pace, wound it back to slower than the pace of the slowest person so we could all just enjoy it, and plenty of photo stops.

My favorite run so far by a long shot.

3D flyby map:-

Relive 'Social Trail Run Day, bloody ripper.'

My mate bringing up the rear after an impromptu visit to the Green Room.

[​IMG]

Stood watching perhaps 30+ kangaroos and their young sun bathing in the long grass beyond.

[​IMG]

Such a nice trail to run on....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Such a variety of terrain, there was a ripper sandy downhill just after this...

[​IMG]

15. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Saturday morning was pretty icy for a morning run. I was lucky that my scheduled run was on Friday the night before. This is how the pitch in front of my place looked over the weekend in the mornings
    IMG_20170702_074628.jpg IMG_20170701_083052.jpg IMG_20170701_082957.jpg

Bayview and Propagate like this.
  16. Propagate

Sheesh.... cold! @paulF but it's made for some superb blue sky winter days though, once that sun gets a little higher in the day. I'm from the north east of England, I'd never survive a northern winter now. I certainly don't miss getting up to a foot of snow and ice and spending 20 minutes clearing the car windscreens, pouring hot water in the locks to unfreeze them so you can get in the car, 20 minutes shoveling the drive etc just so you can crawl to work in the slush.

paulF likes this.
  17. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Highfield Park?

I go there with the good wife and younger kids every other month for a squizz at the Roos and a bit of a walk...fabulous!

Last time we were there I counted (and stopped counting after) 100 Roos!!

18. Propagate

I didn't know the name @Bayview but yes, that's it now I checked Google Maps.

Bayview likes this.
  19. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

A change of pace from all you super athletes.

Any advice for a beginner runner aged 50 something? Obese but working on diet. Recovering from serious injury for the last 2 years thanks to clinical Pilates.

Can now easily walk 5 kms but struggle to run / jog more than 200m. On a 3km walk maybe run 800m / walk 2.2 km in total, stopping running when out of breath. Does the fitness / breathlessness improve over time?

paulF and Bayview like this.
  20. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

In your situation; I wouldn't bother trying to start running; "power walking" - and I mean; absolutely flat-out as fast as you can go - power walking...for a solid 30 mins or even 45 mins - is pretty close to as good as running over the same time-frame.

As with all sporting endeavors requiring aerobic and/or endurance effort; the shortness of breath and fatigue is something you gradually work past and build up stamina and endurance.

You may need to start with flat-out for only 15 mins - doesn't sound like a long time....until you try it!

Don't measure the distance; just the effort and the time-frame...maybe do this for a week or 10 days.

Then push it up to say; 25 mins; no distance in mind; just flat out the whole way.

Then after another 10 days of this; jump it up to say; 30 mins...and so on.

Maybe add a few uphill sessions now and then to test yourself.

You've already been doing some walking of some sort, so you should have a bit of a "base" to build from.

Give it a crack and see how it goes. Good luck and good on you for making an effort!!

Heinz57 and paulF like this.