Sports & Fitness The Running Thread (All Abilities)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I'm out injured already :mad::mad:
    Was playing around with the kids in the bush and copped a stick through my hiking thongs! #kathmandont it was like stepping on a nail
    been a week now. I was so keen to run that the day after i went for a 4km run. Think that probably pushed in whatever little bit was still in there
    Been soaking it and doing some diy surgery to open it up. Plus using a drawing cream to extract anything in there

So annoying to happen now. I spent 3 years in thongs around the country and never had an injury :(

2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Great start @bob shovel but shame about the injury!

Sounds like a bit more forced recovery for you then @Hodor , bummer, hope it't not too serious.

@Gockie breathing will come with time as you find you pace, though I have found the Yoga has made a huge difference for me, my breathing has slowed immensely on my easy pace runs which has brought my heart rate down and increased my running economy so I can go further, faster with less effort. Also, I've knocked over 1200km so far this year and the increase in weekly k's is really paying off.

My running mate for the Ultra in November has been out with an IT Band issue for the last 3 weeks, hoping to get signed off to run again tomorrow by his physio but will be on a "return to running" program, so the 60k is in major doubt at the moment, might bump down to the 36k.

It was a typical case off ramping up his distance too soon, even though he was feeling good and doing well it just takes the body a loooong time to really toughen up, so although he was up to 20-25k distance it was with tired, poor form and subsequently resulted in injury. Back to basics and increase milage slowly, no more that 10% extra per week regardless of how good he feels.

Seems to be a runner right of passage, getting ahead of yourself. Both my major injuries that put me out of action for a few weeks at a time last year were a result of going too fast or too far too soon.

I'm struggling with motivation for the long runs, My short run pace is getting so much quicker but I'm a bit low with my back issue if I'm honest, I just don't know how long it'll let me keep running for. It's manageable at the moment but it's at the point where it's affecting my sleep and takes me a few hours to get going on morning. The physio has helped as has ramping up the Yoga and core strength training so I'm just trying to put it out of my mind and keep getting out there until I can't any more. In all likely hood, my lofty goals of 50,60, 100k Ultra's may be out of the question now and I'm not sure I'll be able to ride again, (certainly not the harder MTB stuff I used to do anyway).

I joined a local running club last month for some motivation, it's so much fun. They are called TXR and have a few groups along Melbourne's East. I go to the Frankston one, we train at Ballam Park athletics track. WOW, running on the track is so much faster.

It's completely free and they train twice a week for an hour at a time. I go Tuesday nights and it's usually a couple of warm up laps, 4 sets of drills, 4 sets of sprint strides then the main session which will be some variation of Fartlek training, then cool down.

Such a mixed ability, age and gender group it's really good to see and all the coaches are Athletics Victoria accredited.

I can feel the difference the weekly structured session ids making to my running generally already, my "easy" pace is getting faster and faster by the week for the same given heart rate.

Hope everyone is still getting out there and getting the work done. Better weather on the way now for us in Vic, so looking forward to some nice sunny trail runs again!

Don't over do it.....

3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Good you're enjoy it propagate.

I've got 6 more weeks before I can think about running. Just starting on easy movements now. I'm a bit lazy with rehab, need to work on it or I'll be reinjuring myself.

Need to get stretching and core training on that note

paulF likes this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

@Propagate my injury is nothing on your back. Hope it improves for you so you can do those bigger runs!

Im considering signing up to an ultra run next year in may, in katoomba. There's a 22km that i could sign up for as a goal to complete. Tickets go on sale in a few weeks. Could be a good carrot to dangle to get serious

5. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Hope everyones' rinnung is going well.
    Starting to warm up in Vic so looking to kms and more challenging runs.
    @Propagate , how you going ?Hope all is well with your back and running

Propagate likes this.
  6. Propagate

So so @pualF - I'm getting faster on the short term sub 15k runs and pulling up not too bad with the back. Not getting chance to get much in the way of 15+ runs in just now. Had family staying so been ducking out to grab a quick run sporadically here and there where I can.

I've been relegated to the spare room all week so our niece can sleep with her aunt in our bed, the advantage has been the pare bed mattress is like concrete and has made a marked difference in how I pull up on a morning. Still sore every day but nothing like as bad as seeping on a softer mattress. Trouble is this ones so hard my arms go to sleep in the night form the pressure and I wake with dead arms then pins and needles.... :)

Took my niece to Lysterfield Park on Friday morning, early to go kangaroo spotting. We parked at the dam wall and walked the trails all the way up to the trig point at the top of the park, and back... 13.5k of hilly k's. she did amazing, she's only 9.

Hoping to get the longer runs back on the board for this week, not long now until the Alpine Ultra. My running mate is still convinced we're doing the 60 even though he's barely getting 3x 5k runs a week in at the moment coming back from ITB issues and his longest run to date has been around 25k. I'm 99% sure we'll drop down to the 36k and join my other mates instead that are doing that length. Then spend next year continuing to build k's slowly and maybe try the 60 next year off a stronger base.

Might try and sneak out this week and run a section of Two Bays if the weather holds like this, then perhaps hike up Donna Buang on Sunday for some hill training.

paulF likes this.
  7. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Great to hear you are still shaping up well with your running and i think you are looking at things the right way in regards to the Ultra.
    Your running mates' volume is no where even near enough for a 60, not even a half marathon and as usual, pushing too hard too quick or covering too many kms too quick is a sure way to injury.

I timed myself the other day for the usual maintenance 5km for the first time in over a year and i was happy that i still have my 4min/km pace but at the same time was a bit disappointed as it felt hard keeping the pace. It was after a night of moderate drinking ... which usually affects me real bad these days, even a few drinks are putting me off...

Now that the good weather is here, I'm back to incorporating longer runs to my weekly schedule other than the 5km every second day runs. Started with a slow 8km a few weeks back and did a 10 km fartlek session the other day and was surprised of how well i came out of it. Was hard work being on my legs for almost an hour but felt great.

Propagate likes this.
  8. Propagate

Indeed, @paulF I've said to him no sense smashing himself for the sake of a 60 if it means being injured and not being able to run for the following 6 months.

A 4 minute pace 5k is one of my goals, and I'm slowly getting there thanks to the TXR training on a Tuesday night. I've a feeling I'd come pretty close now if I gave one a crack. Ran a 4:30 pace hilly 7k on sandy trails last week and a 4:50 very hilly technical rocky trail 8k on Thursday, my 15k pace is a shade under 4:50 now too so speed is coming together nicely but at a sacrifice of distance, Time to wind the speed off a little and add the k's back on instead until after the Ultra, though I'll keep up the TXR Tuesday nights as they're doing wonders.

9. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@Propagate , a 4min/km 5km run seems more than possible fo you with those times. Keep in mind terrain makes a massive difference and even how you are feeling on the day, how windy it is...
    It all works together, volume, speed work, HIIT sessions, easy recovery runs... Just too hard trying to make the time for it all!

10. Propagate

Had an interesting weekend, finally managed to lock the 4 of us in to a group training run, two mates are doing he 36k Alpine Ultra and my other mate and me for the 60.

My pairing had to do a 40k trail run to qualify for the 60, we've all already qualified for the 36 form previous runs in the year.

So, the plan for last weekend was to head out o the Two Bays Trail Ultra route (56k out and back) with 4 cars at strategic points so we had bail out options at 12/22/32/44 & 56k.

The object was two fold, qualify for the 60 for my team by going for at least 40k and see how my mates knee and pace went so he could decide whether we'd drop down from 60k to 36k next month.

The 36 pairing ran really strong, very impressed. We all pushed on passed their initial goal of 32 and we all did the 44.

My mates knee held up fine but he was completely gone by 25k so he and I walked the back 20k, and when I saw walked I mean absolutely dawdled, it was very frustrating.

I ran ahead at the end to get the car, I felt strong and wanted to crack on for the full 56k but we'd been out so long by 44k I was a bit bored and ready to call it a day.

It served it's purpose and highlighted that there's no way he's ready for a 60k, he'd be able to get through it but it would be 30+ k of very slow walking on the back half of which I have zero interest in, so we decided to officially bust down to the 36k and run as a foursome.

I e-mailed the Race Director and he's suggested that if I wanted to do the 60 still, the first 28k is the same course so we can all stay together for that then split and I carry on for the 60. My mate said he'd be keen to still have a crack at 60 that case and is happy for me to run on my own pace from the 28k mark so we've changed out entry from a 60k pairing to 60k solo's.

So, long story short, I was happy with our 44k on Saturday with 1100 vertical meters (even though it took almost 7 hours), but in some way that was also good as it was a good taste of being on your feet for that many hours and getting used to fueling and pack carrying.

My back fired up a bit early the next morning but loosened up really well and went out for a 6k easy trail run the next afternoon to loosen up.

So, 60k is locked in.... 4.5 weeks to go!! Super excited about it again now.

How's everyone else getting on?

mrdobalina and Hodor like this.
  11. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Did the Melbourne marathon last week and had a shocker - felt crap after 30 k mark and shuffled to the line in 4 hrs. Might be too hot for me or I'm getting soft in my old age

Propagate likes this.
  12. Propagate

Bummer @RS Gumby heard from a few people this week that did it with similar issues, falling apart at 30-35 and crawling to the end.

What's the next event on your calendar?

Depending on how next months Alpine run goes I really like the look of the Razorback Ridge run for next March:-

Razorback Run

13. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Really don't know if i'll do any more. Still do my 30k run every Saturday relatively easily. Looking at track marathon in Canberra March then Road marathon in Canberra April. There's a Tan Marathon in June as well as Traralgon. Might do heaps or none, last week gutted me

14. Propagate

That's a shame mate, hopefully you get the love back soon and get signed up for some of those maras!

RS Gumby likes this.
  15. is_don_is_good

is_don_is_good Well-Known Member

Sounds like my run 4 years ago. The tan towards the end is what got me.

RS Gumby likes this.
  16. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

I broke 50 minutes on a 10k for the first time ever last week. Was a bit of a hilly course too that even had me walking a little bit at 9k! Next opportunity on a flat deck is early March... should get down to 48 for that.

I had a mate who did the Melbourne half. Seemed the heat got to a lot of people?

paulF, Propagate and Hodor like this.
  17. Propagate

Good work @marty998 great feeling when you go under those round figure barriers for the first time. Since I started this whole running malarkey not quite 2 years ago I reckon my biggest buzz was the first time I went under 1 hour for 10k

I packed my packed my race pack yesterday ready for Saturday, went through the mandatory items check list and somehow managed to squeeze everything in to a race vest.

5 days to go until I toe the line, been a long build up to this one, training fell off a cliff this month, so much going on. Came down with a heavy cold (thankfully early enough out to get over the worst before next Saturday). Got a massive stress head on at the moment with workload at work, sold our PPOR but the buyers are now looking dicy, bought a new PPOR which we may now lose due to our buyers and trying to sell two IP's interstate. All in all not the best recipe leading into my first ultra run.

Still, just got to have faith in the training I have done and hope it's been enough to get me through it n one piece.

Not looking for times, just want to get through it, have it fun and make the distance. I'm still super excited for it! The only bit I'm not looking forward to is the 6 hour drive to get there.

Had a leg stretch with a couple of mates down at Fort Nepean on the Mornington Peninsula yesterday morning. What a nice spot! Only been once before years ago on a bike so couldn't check out most of the fortifications. If anyone is local definitely check it out as a spot for a cruisey adventure run, there's trail all over the place and there's way more to the Fort than I thought, tunnels all over, little beaches and outposts to explore, could have spent the day there just wondering around. We parked at the Quarantine Station (last place you can get a car to) and ran to Fort Nepean and back on a mix of access road, fire trail and bush trail and still got 11k in. Straight to the Fort and back is about 8k and there's so much trail to explore you could probably make a 30+k run our of it if you wanted to. As for the views.....

Numbnuts on Instagram: “Point Nepean”

Numbnuts on Instagram: “Fort Nepean Explorer”

Hodor, marty998 and paulF like this.
  18. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about all the PPOR dramas @Propagate and really hope it gets all resolved.

I was at Cape Schanck at Mornington Peninsula a few weeks back on an overnighter... Definitely going back to explore the area more, really beautiful place and so many trail track to chose from.

Running wise , it's been good and getting used to the hot weather runs already.
    Yesterday's run wasn't the best though but it was expected after covering over 1300 kms on my motorcycle between Saturday arvo and Sunday morning and also a massive night out on the booz and very little sleep ... The body was able though but the mind was unwilling lol

Instead of the usual 20 minute 5km effort, i ran splits instead with very little rest in between. I also ended the run with 4*100 meter sprints which i'm really enjoying!

Good luck with the up coming challenge. You've done well in your preparations so a good result is most likely.

Propagate likes this.
  19. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I did Melbourne marathon this year too. It was such a hot and windy day. My slowest marathon time for the last 3 years.

Propagate likes this.
  20. devank

devank Well-Known Member

My daughter (going to be 11 soon) started running.
    She wants to improve her cross-country run. She's been practicing weekly. Last week, she did 3km in 17min. To me, that's amazing!
    She needs to make that 14-15 min.

Any advice on training her?