Sports & Fitness The Running Thread (All Abilities)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ideacrash

Ideacrash Well-Known Member

Am still very new to running. Have managed to run 3 times a week from Jan 15th. Stepped into week 4 yesterday. Been running without stop for a km and then walk and run alternatively for a min. This week have increased my non stop jog to 1.25 km and run to 1.1 min and walk to 1min . Total running duration 30mins. End up covering 4km. Every week plan to increase the non stop running distance by .25km and aim to jog for 30 mins with out break in couple of months. After that will start to train for longer distances.

mrdobalina, Hodor and Propagate like this.
  2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Brilliant, that's pretty much exactly how I started in January last year. I was aiming for Melbourne Marathon last October but had 2 injuries through the year that took a few months out of my training all up so I made my goal a bit further out and wound everything back to avoid picking up further injuries.

May I suggest the Fitness22 "21K Runner" app for your phone, it's $10 but was absolutely invaluable for me. It's a structured program that will take you from zero to 2k in about 14 weeks, it really helps you stop getting ahead of yourself and overdoing it but is also a great motivator. My mate started it early last year too as 47 year old overweight non-runner and now he's regularly running half marathons every couple of weeks.

It runs on top of your music so if you listen to music the voice will cut in and tell you when to walk and when to run, I found it a massive help.

@RS Gumby - thanks mate... next stop 50k ;-)

3. Ideacrash

@Propagate thanks mate. Will have a lookinto the Fitness22 app. At present am using Nike run+ club and am impressed with it as well.
    Yes, I am taking it slowly . I have experienced the effects of pushing too hard due to excitement :) and not able to run for 6 months.

Propagate likes this.
  4. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

I'm doing a 50 in April - Canberra marathon

mrdobalina, Hodor and Propagate like this.
  5. Propagate

6 months! Ouch.

6. Propagate

Nice! I was about to say I think duanerek has ran that.... just realized you are he ;-)

RS Gumby likes this.
  7. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Some good progress, well done runners :)

I've been fairly consistent despite a niggle or two over the past few months. Running 5km in under 25 mins now (on flat tracks) without having to destroy myself, pretty happy I'm getting faster while enjoying myself. Thinking I might look at a half marathon late this year.

Propagate and RS Gumby like this.
  8. RS Gumby

As long as you're enjoying it Hodor, that's the main thing. No need to break records, you'll get to HM in good time.

Propagate likes this.
  9. Propagate

Good stuff @Hodor and wise words @RS Gumby !

My marathon recovery took a turn for the worse today. I've been surprised how good I pulled up, aside form being tired and a short fuse the only real niggle was a stiff neck form the water pack on my back. One of our dogs yanked me this morning on the end of her lead and cricked my neck. Bloody agony now, total neck spasm and right across the top of my shoulders, can't move my head much and I'm high as a kite on Voltarin...

Last time I did this it was 10 days before I could do much in the way of exercise, so I guess on the bright side its some forced recovery from the run!

10. RS Gumby

Bloody agony now, total neck spasm and right across the top of my shoulders, can't move my head much and I'm high as a kite on Voltarin...

Last time I did this it was 10 days before I could do much in the way of exercise, so I guess on the bright side its some forced recovery from the run![/QUOTE]

You're an injury prone bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Anyone considering the Sydney half? Think I might give it a crack (just need to check I'm not busy).

12. Propagate

@RS Gumby I am! I was always a sickly child ;-) My attitude and determination has generally always been two steps ahead of my bodies natural abilities... :)

RS Gumby likes this.
  13. RS Gumby

No doubt you're a determined bugger. If you ever get the body right you'll be a champ!!

Propagate likes this.
  14. Propagate

My life's motto has always been "S-h-1-t or bust".... (all or nothing). :)

EDITED - to try and get the swear word passed the forum filters!!

15. Ideacrash

completed my first 5k run on sunday.. it took me 32.4 mins.

Hodor, mrdobalina and Propagate like this.
  16. RS Gumby

Good stuff Ideacrash keep going. The hardest part is starting once you get the run into your routine you'll be unstoppable!!
    Did 30 k on Saturday in 2.45h feeling more confident about the Canberra Ultra now

Hodor and Ideacrash like this.
  17. Propagate

Great work @Ideacrash and @RS Gumby

Did my first post-marathon run yesterday, that was a whole week rest. Ran a 3.8k trail run up the local quarry including "Stairway to Hell".... (lots and LOTS of stairs).

Legs felt strong but I felt really shaky, like a needed a good feed. I've not stopped eating since last Sunday. I guess I'm still recovering a bit.

I'll head out for a local flat trail run 6-8k on Wednesday night and see how I go then maybe get back on the bike this weekend for a change to mix it up a bit.

Ideacrash likes this.
  18. RS Gumby

When I get the shakes I down a couple of bananas. In fact that's all I have the morning of a marathon - works for me!!

Hodor and Propagate like this.
  19. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Great to see everyone still at it and congrats @Propagate for running your first 40+ kms :) Easy back into it and take care.

Been a crazy few months for me, traveling between Sydney and Melbourne almost every weekend for family reasons while delivering one of the biggest projects that i've ever worked on in my career...

Was a major test in every aspect of life but managed to get on top of things somehow and one of the best parts about it was the fact that i stuck to my running and exercise even under the tightest of schedules. I was forced to take some time off but the longest i stayed without running was just a tad over a week so didn't really loose any fitness but mentally was really hard not being able to run!

Cheers and keep at it guys

Hodor likes this.
  20. Propagate

Thanks @paulF and well done on sticking to the running throughout that lot. I bet the running helped with the other aspects going on in your life too? Tire the body to match the mind and run off any stress and frustrations rather than them build up.

Going to head out tonight hopefully, pretty stormy here today though, trees down all over the place.

paulF likes this.