Sports & Fitness The Running Thread (All Abilities)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Anyone into running? I know there's a few of you from the competition thread. I couldn't see a general running thread so figured I'd start one, see who out there is just starting or a more seasoned runner.

I haven't found a decent specific running forum out there as yet, so figured I'd see who in the PCHAT community is into it, at any level - social, starting out or seasoned ultra-marathoner!

For the novices, it’s be great to hear what your goals are and see you tick them off on here?

I'll kick it off. I’ve always been fairly active, mountain bikes and general cycling been my main thing. I’ve tried running in the past as a quick workout when it’s too cold/wet to ride or just for something different. It never stuck, it always felt too hard and I was one of the people that would always say “I’m just not built for running”.

Long story short, I started walking to work after Christmas (it’s only 5k each way). Over January I started jogging between lampposts, very slowly, and built it up, after a couple of months I could jog all the way to work (veeeery slowly). It was enough to make me think perhaps I could give it a shot and getting some pace and distance up with proper training, that and having read Born to Run and Natural Born Heroes over Christmas break gave me some inspiration.

I put the Fitness22 “Couch to 10K” app on the phone and dutifully headed out 3 times per week, following the program. I got to 10k (walk & jog mix) by about week 10 of the program then blew a disc in my back (not due to the running). I was spewing! 5 weeks of nothing, no rides, no runs and barely able to walk.

It came good early May and I went back to the program, (went back a couple of weeks to ease into it again).

Fast forward to now and I am absolutely over the moon with my progress. I’m running three times per week, I do a solo distance day at my own endurance pace and push the distance out a little each time, (as defined by trying to stay at the upper end of my zone 2 HR). My distance days are up to 15k now at roughly 5 minutes per k. I PR’d my 10k this week and hit my first big goal of going under 50 minutes for a 10k. (49.34). Next goal is to get that down to 45 minutes.

I do a “speed day” mid week, (today was one) they SUCK. I head out from work and go as hard as I can to the next main road, (2.5k away) then cruise back. I’m finding this very tough but it is helping with my overall pace. I PR’d my 1k time today at 3:45.

Third run day per week is the social trail run with mates, this is done at the pace of the slowest person, generally around 10-12k over mixed terrain and just out for the fun of it rather that training as such. I run with two guys, one a seasoned runner and one a complete couch potato that never did ANY exercise until I roped him onto the couch to 10k app and now he’s banging out 30-40k per week, his progress has been inspirational. To see him come from a wheezing wreck that couldn’t run to the end of our street to holding his own with us on a 10k trail run is fantastic.

My next goals are:-

10k – 45 minutes
    5k – 20 minutes

20k is the next distance goal, leading up to running the Two Bays trail one way at 28k then ultimately get up to marathon distance.

I’m absolutely hooked and can’t wait to each next run day to come around! I’m not pulling up sore anymore and I’m now at the point where it is enjoyable once I get the rhythm going.

So, if anyone on here is a seasoned runner, I’ve some questions for you….

I’m not specifically training for short distance speed, I’m more inclined to train for the long run. I do want to increase my pace generally though and would like to better my 5 & 10k times so has anyone got any training tips for speed work that works in conjunction with putting in the base k’s for the long runs?

Cheers and looking forward to hearing some running stories if there’s anyone else on the boards just getting into it.

PS… my partner, after seeing what the running has done for me (not just in terms of losing a few kilo but more my head seems to be in a great place since starting and the “runners high” lasts for hours longer than post cycling buzz seems too), started on the app too. She was dead against running when I started, she’s tried before in her 20’s and hated it. Anyway, she’s now 7 weeks into C-to-5k and is just at the point where’s she’s hooked. She’s running about 4k now 3 days a week and she’s loving it, it’s so great to see. She’s dropped a bunch of weight and just generally feels better. As a 45 year inactive female that’s never really been one to push herself I’m blown away with how she’s going, she’s even talking about working toward doing a 10k race now!!

bob shovel, Hodor, WattleIdo and 3 others like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I am a member of the cool running forum and found it quite useful when I was starting out. I don't post there at all now though.

Wannabe runner here. I have a biomechanical problem with my legs that holds me back from being really good. Basically, if I run too far, too fast I get shin splints. It gets bad enough that I can't run. If I start out really slow and build up really slowly, I can extend my distance but I max out around 5km and I have only done that once. By slow, I mean day 1: walk 5 minutes, slow jog 30 seconds, walk 5 minutes. Repeat for 3 days with a rest day in-between. In week 2 I would be able to do 2x 30 seconds with a minute walking in between. I can then keep increasing until about 4 weeks I can do couch to 5k week 1 day 1. Then I need to do each week for 2 weeks before moving on to the next week. I think. I have never had the patience to hold back that long. I actually enjoy running so I will inevitably overdo it and get injured. I particularly love sprinting, which feels awesome at the time but is the thing that contributed most to my injury :(

Later this year I am going to have another crack at it with a goal of completing a 5k after 6 months of training. I will keep you up to date with this.

paulF and Propagate like this.
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I love running, but now at 56 - my body doesn't love anymore....more than 3 days oer week and I get shin-splints.

So, now it is spasmodic, and usually only about 3km's or so at a time.

I do a 10k FunRun each Aus Day in Jan, but usually do little training before hand (at least; not enough to really make a difference to overall fitness), so the times have slowly drifted out..this year was 58mins.

I hope you can get to 45mins for 10km; that's a very respectable time.

paulF and Propagate like this.
  4. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Hi Boys
    I'm training for the Melbourne marathon this year.
    I've done numerous Ultra marathons' but haven't done one for 18 months due to injury
    I run every day except Sundays
    Averaging 9k runs with a 25k run every Saturday morning

I used to do a day of sprint training on Sundays
    I found 12 x 100 metre sprints at 3/4 pace with 1 minute intervals really improved my marathon time.

I couldn't not run - get ****** if I have to have a day off!!

5. Propagate

That's a bummer @Perthguy I hope you can get passed it. I'm in no position as yet to offer any advice other than have you really focused on your technique? Coming from such a low running base and being so slow at the outset gave me the time during those first months to really pay attention to how I was running, working on mid-foot strike and trying to make each footfall as quiet as possible.

Cheers @Bayview I'll be stoked to pull it off. The 10k before last I went out to specifically run a 10K as fast as I thought I could and pulled up at 50:34 and boy it hurt! I was going as hard as I could and really flagging toward the end. Last Sunday I went out for my long run (15k) and when I got back and uploaded to Strava it showed I'd PR'd my 10k at 49:34, I was stoked as I felt like I was cruising the whole 15k but it was heaps faster and more comfortable than the prior week.

I'm hoping, based on that and some focused speed training that a 45 minute 10k is achievable for me.

I'm 41 for anyone's reference watching by the way.

I've changed the thread title, don't want anyone to think they are too slow/just starting to be put off from dropping in. I've found with the people I have met running that it seems to be a lot more accommodating a sport that some of the cycling I was into (that could get VERT elitist at times).

Bayview likes this.
  6. Propagate

A bona-fide Ultra-Runner! Gday @duanerek - do I remember rightly from the competition thread that you're vegan? That's something I'm giving a lot of thought to of late. I've cut my meat intake back probably 90% and eliminated milk altogether. I'm working toward a vegetarian based diet just now and hoping to transition to animal free at some point. Not sure I'm ready to commit 100% just yet but I'm feeling really good of late with the changes I've made so far this year. Just ordered a bunch of vegan cook books today!

Those shorter sprint training workouts sound more appealing than what I'm currently doing on my "speed day" too by the way. I'll look into that some more.

7. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

I run to the car whenever its raining.

8. Propagate

That's a good start, you just have to start parking your car 10K away.... ;-)

devank and Lemmy a fiver like this.
  9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks for the suggestion. I have done a lot of work on my technique. Before I started out I couldn't run more than a few metres without being in agonising pain, so I got hold of the Evolution Running program. Now I can run without pain but if I progress too quickly I get injured.

Hodor, paulF and Propagate like this.
  10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Great thread @Propagate !
    I've been only doing 5-10 km runs lately due to work commitments and doing some reno work at home. So been in maintenance mode for the past few years which is basically a 5km run every 2 days after work (i lift a bit of weights and do core on the other days). I do a longish 8-10km run every now and then.

My 5km pace varies between 18 minutes and 24 minutes depending on how i'm feeling. Mostly tempo runs at around 21-22 minutes.
    10 km is usually a sub 40 minutes run . I really don't do long distance runs these days because they really destroy my weight lifting gains and i loose muscle mass really quick.

To my mind, the most important part about running is the mindset behind it. I consider running to be like breathing,sleeping and eating. Can't live without it. I don't even think about it anymore, it just happens. Cold, windy,rainy, tired, stressed... nothing matters. I get home, put my runners on and just get out and do it and it's always the highlight of my day.

Tempo runs and intervals like the guys above suggested are a must to get faster and to improve stamina but they come at a cost. You'll need more rest. Also, a long run a week (close to race distance) is a very important to acclimate your body for the longer distances.

Most importantly, keep running and listen to your body. Everything else will come together as you run more and it becomes easier on your body

Hodor, mrdobalina and Propagate like this.
  11. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@Perthguy , "Basically, if I run too far, too fast I get shin splints." That's pretty much normal. I have them from time to time because i push harder then i should. But at the same time, running on a soft surface can help a lot and also, your shoes can be the culprit if you pronate more than usual but that can be fixed with the right pair of shoes.

12. Propagate

Wow, sub 40 10k @paulF I know how I feel running one K at 4 minute pace, 10k at that seems a high bar to strive for just now.

I was the opposite with the gym, I gave it away as it got in the way of my mountain biking, I was too heavy and bulky to get the most out of my bike plus trying to fit everything in, something had to give to I packed in the weights about 8 years ago and dropped 15 ish kg of muscle. Felt better for it in the end though, .lighter and more flexible. and as I never enjoyed it it wasn't a hard thing to give up. I lifted out of vanity and habit rather than for enjoyment.

I started Yoga about 5 weeks ago, never tried it before and studio has opened up a few doors down from work. They do a monthly subscription - all the classes you can eat pass, works great for me as I'm local and I can come and go as I pleas through the day aso I can try any/all classes. I'm hitting 3-4 classes per week. Can't believe the strength gains from that already along with the flexibility. Im doing a mix of classes, a FLow tyle striength and movement one through a "typical" hold pose type one and a great Mindfulness gentle one which is awesome for stretching everything out.

The running, eating well and Yoga has all helped quieten the mind of late, I feel the best Ive felt in recent memory in terms of health, energy and head space.

Starbright and paulF like this.
  13. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Cheers Propagate. It seems like you are ticking all the right boxes and you are enjoying yourself while at it.
    Give yourself some time and i can guarantee you'll get there. No need to overcomplicate things with running. The more you run(with good fundamentals ) the better you get at it but running form/consistency are extremely important especially with long distance running.

Peruse your form and performance every now and then and think of cues when running. Short quick strides, feet landing close under the hips and on the forefoot(now heel strike),start your leg kick off from the knees/hips area and not calfs, chest wide open... and then with practice , you will pretty much find your own best running form.

Lifting helps with upper body and core strength which is very important for keeping good form which in term leads to more efficient running. It's like lifting the way AFL players do vs lifting the way NRL(big and chunky) players do.

Yoga sounds great. I just can't see myself doing it! I did some pilates a few years back and that was actually really good. Helped with form and fixed my posture which in turn helped a lot with running.

Starbright and Propagate like this.
  14. RS Gumby

Yes Propagate I'm the Vegan. I started as a Vegetarian 20 odd years ago and instantly found extra energy once I cut out the meat. I've been Vegan for 8 years and always feel full of energy.
    I take supplements to counter act my lack of meat and dairy but find with exercise I can basically eat whatever I want within reason. Luckily I love to eat Vegies but also can eat rubbish like pizza, chips, dim sims, potato cakes every now and again without guilt.

I don't want to push you towards Vegetarianism but I never looked back.
    I have found a couple of places to buy my pretend cheeses, meats etc.
    Vegan Perfection has a great online store and Greewi foods in Parkdale sell a fair bit of Vego food at great prices.

Keep running Buddy!!!

Starbright and Propagate like this.
  15. RS Gumby

I agree PaulF could be the footwear. I am an overpronator with flat feet and weigh about 84k's. I ran in Asics for years and they were good. I injured my ankle and felt I needed more padding so switched over to Hokas' and they are incredibly comfortable and I always run on roads

paulF likes this.
  16. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@duanerek , Asics is a great brand. my last Asics was Gt-2000 . Brilliant shoe, so comfortable on long runs.
    I'm on a Nike free 5.0 these days. Very thin runners and heel to toe drop is pretty short. Great for quick leg turnover but not so great for longer distances and comfort. I'm due for a new pair and i'm going back to Misuona Sayonaras as i run a lot on hard surfaces and i'm starting to feel my shin splints getting a bit uncomfortable with the Nike pair(third pair this year).

On a side note, moving from cushioned shoes to more minimalistic runners took me over 6 month at least from memory. I couldn't even run more than 800 meters on the first pair of Mizunos even though i was running an easy 10km in the Asics pair!

Propagate likes this.
  17. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I run every morning...can't NOT do it.

I don't run far or hard...but my life is simply immeasurably better when I do it and worse when I don't.

It's a no brainer.

bob shovel, Starbright, paulF and 2 others like this.
  18. Propagate

Thanks for the heads up on the Vegan store @duanerek , cheese will be the biggest issue for me. Meat I'm finding less and less like I want to eat it, and when I do it's a much smaller quantity. Milk I found very easy to give away. After reading The China Study and the proven links between too much animal protein and cancers it's an eye opener. Not to mention recent movies like Food Inc. highlighting the abhorrent farming methods in the USA, (not just animal but GM crops etc) it's frightening how little we generally pay attention to where our food comes from.

I'm not evangelistic about any of the food issues, I'm still wrangling with myself as to how I want to eat and why, though I'm finding with the running that I'm naturally favoring whole foods and nutritious stuff and less likely to reach of the processed stuff. To be fair, we've always eaten quite well and never had a lot of processed stuff anyway. Emms was a vegetarins for 20+ years before she went back to easting some meat when we moved here to Australia 10 years ago, so we still have a good repertoire of vegetarian dishes we can knock up.

Since entering my 40's I've become strangley more aware of my impact on the planet and in turn how that is making me feel generally. I keep coming back to the thought that the best way to east meat is to raise the animal yourself, but then I couldn't kill my own cow, pig, chicken whatever so it's hypocritical of me go go the the shop and buy it in a nice clean plastic package.

Believe me, no one is more surprised at this that ME, I'm a working class blue collar boy from the north east of England and grew up in a town where men were men and women stayed at home to make 3 square meals of steak and chips a day.

Starbright likes this.
  19. Propagate

@paulF Interestingly enough, when I started running it was in very minimal shoes, (LEMS Primal 2's), long story, I got them as they were foldable for traveling. I instantly fell in love with them and did a lot of reading around minimal footwear etc and barefoot running. I stopped weraing anything with a heal. I ran my fist few months in those then into a pair of Vibram Five-fingers which were just too severe for me on the sharp rocky trails, so went into a pair of Merrell Trail love 3's and loved them. Running in those from a complete beginner really helped my form and technique as you've got nowhere to hide!

After pulling up from the injury though I needed something a little more cushioned but I'm sold on the low heel drop, it's done wonders for my posture and back. I still walk exclusively in LEMS (Primals and Boulder Boots) as my primary shoes, but now I run trails in 2017 Under Armour Speed Tire Ascent Low's and run tarmac in Nike RN Free Distance 2's, both are great and seem to suit me really well. Just enough cushioning and support and perfect heel-toe drop for a mid foot technique.

paulF likes this.
  20. RS Gumby

Yeah i hear ya!
    My old man was a Polish weightlifter
    All we ate growing up was steak and potatoes
    So I was a chubby kid
    Nickname Fatso

Propagate likes this.