The REAL value of landscaping

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by vtt, 17th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We are thinking of doing some landscaping work to the rear garden of our Victorian terrace. It's currently a paved area with some retaining walls on one side of the boundary to one of our neighbours. Due to some very large trees in my neighbour's yard (that are council protected) the current paving has lifted and there's a lot of uneven patches. It's not really possible to put a table and chairs out there as the paving is so wonky that nothing sits straight.

The paving itself is that unattractive square paving often used by councils, there are quite a few chips and cracks in it, and honestly it's not in good shape. One section of the garden can be used for parking via rear lane access with another area that can be used for outdoor furniture, bbq etc.

Sounds like a no brainer to get landscaped, but I wonder the true value of landscaping. If we sink $15K into getting the retaining walls fixed, new paving put in and a pergola built (where the parking area is), will that add enough value to the property to enable us to extract it later?

What should be the return for landscaping? Should it be for every $1 invested it returns $2 or is there some other ideal formula?

What is the general rule for landscaping investment? Should it be 5% of the value or some other method?

Looking forward to your comments
    Thanks
    vtt
    :D

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

3. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Thanks @Propertunity !

So basic rule of thumb is if you can't see it then spend as little as possible on it.

I couldn't watch one of the videos (not supported on my device) but in one of the others she talked about raising garden beds to increase the proportions and make the property look more generous. I think this is a good tip if you have a garden bed.

I don't have a garden bed at all, just paving and some retaining walls. Maybe a pergola. There will need to be some drainage work done but not much so those costs will be kept down.

I'm interested to know about return on investment. I think that a well maintained garden can add to perception of quality and street appeal but what is the right balance between appeal and overspend? Should there be a percentage of value spent or is that too formulaic and landscaping costs should be more organic (pardon the pun)?

vtt

4. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

The trees might be protected, but it dorsn't mean the neighbour is not responsible fir damage caused by the roots

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Ms Barber has a formula for everything to spend money on and probably mentions what it is for landscaping on one of those videos of hers :)

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

i like the part about reticulation. the plants just need to look pretty and alive when the valuer or buyer comes around! :p just llike new housing estates!

it needs to be practical and pretty! if you have issues with levels and maintenace issues they should be recitified first. then pretty it up with flowers and plants etc etc

With the paving look at a deck over the top of existin pavers and to prevent the issue of the roots doing their thing underground

landscaping should probably be done with a facade spruce up too, to make the prop more appealing

7. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Thank you. I know she says 1.5% of the value on bathroom/kitchen (in another video) but I didn't hear her say anything about % on landscaping. Though that could have been mentioned in the video that I can't watch. If anyone knows please let me know too :)

@bob shovel
    Yes completely agree with you. I looked at a deck over the pavers but one of the trees next door is a Jacaranda. Lovely but.. Nightmare. Small leaves and purple flowers would get stuck in between the decking and once they fall through the gaps would be impossible to get out. That is also one of the trees protected by council. I asked permission to trim it and the council only gave permission for me to cut one branch that is no thicker than a broomstick!

I should add that this property was previously an IP but is now a PPOR, for how long I'm not sure yet. We have recently addressed the facade front and back, it is definitely not lacking street appeal. We often have random people who are walking up the street tell us what a beautiful house it is if we happen to be out the front. On that basis, I think facade is looking good. It's the back yard that is the issue.

Am thinking of doing something like the photo attached with the pergola and paving.

vtt

Attached Files:

8. bob shovel

Jacaranda's are messy and have terrible roots! Do you have any plumbing near the tree? Look to potential future damages you may incur!

If you have branches hanging over from neighbours I thought you were free to cut them back in line with the boundary line. Asking questions and doing the right thing never helps! Please ignorance and cut them back to stop the mess atleast

You could do timber deck with a shade cloth over the top to catch leaves at little cost

9. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Our neighbours also have a Jacaranda tree - with branches hanging in our front yard... and we have our storm water tank not too far from it.

Would definitely like the branches cut back.

thanks for sharing :)

10. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

@vtt what have you decided/done with your landscaping? I know we're not meant to resurrect old threads but your yard issues sound similar to mine.
    I need to get the drainage done and some terracing or blocking or whatever. Also want to do driveway and carport and pergola and paving, extend fence upwards, etc. I want much more than I can am willing to spend.
    Working within 15K limit at the moment. In my case, it has to be done - well the drainage does, anyway. More a case of stopping the value decrease than about increase. Though hope it will increase value too.

11. bob shovel

I vote new thread!

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

It's still a WIP @WattleIdo - we have an enormous Bangalow Palm in our tiny back yard that we've asked to have removed. CoS said no. Had to get an arborist report. Waiting for council to consider the report. So basically going nowhere fast.

We will definitely have drainage addressed, I know it doesn't add value but the flooding that will occur if we don't address it means it's got to be done.

Got any pics of your garden?

vtt

13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes -some more 'before' photos which everyone must be getting a bit over by now. I know I am. These are officially my last 'before' photos.....
    20151202_182529.jpg

Have you got any photos?

Attached Files:

Last edited: 13th Dec, 2015
    vtt likes this.
  14. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Put some pics up @vvt i love victorian terraces

15. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Here you go @tomlemke.

This is the front facade before (red) and after (black). I haven't got any pics of the rear garden yet.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

16. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

So if you were to rip up the old pavers and replace with new what is to stop the new pavers lifting as the neighbours tree roots continue to grow?
    Jacarandas look great - in someone else back yard far away from my own! I would be worried about plumbing and services you have in the area.

17. bob shovel

@WattleIdo the back yard looks ok as it is. Ripping up the old pond is about the only thing that stands out

18. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Yes @Stu you are exactly right. I am sure the pavers will lift. The back garden we have is on two main levels. Lower level is for the garden furniture, bbq etc. top level (one step up) is the car parking space. I don't think we can really do anything else with this upper area other than pave or concrete it (and concrete is definitely not happening!) - a parking space in the inner city is like gold. When the car is not in the space it can be used as more entertaining area.

Both areas are currently paved and the pavers are lifting in both areas, I would suggest due to the roots of the large jacaranda next door. The pergola that we are thinking about would go over the car space, so the car would sit underneath it if it is parked there.

These inner city areas are gorgeous but oh so painful as council is so strict on doing anything.

19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thanks but unfortunately the water runs straight downhill at the house. Hard to see from this angle. However, will keep modifications to needs rather than wants, if I can.

20. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Love it vtt what suburb are you in?

Heres some pics of the yard of our terrace backyard, we just put Murraya for the hedges pretty happy with how it all turned out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paterson00 and drg86 like this.